The Tottenham Thread 12/13

Salford_Blue said:
There is far too much fuss being made of his current form. Apart from one against The Trafford Buccanneers, his goals this season have been against Villa, Reading, WBA, Norwich, Coventry, WHU and Lyon.

Where was he in the other games?

He is a very good player, and I would certainly like him at City, but he needs consistency. Maybe he needs to play in a better team, where he is just another team member who regularly contributes, rather than being the "big fish" who bails (no pun intended!) out his side time after time.

A bit like Sweep was for us at the time.

He is world class. He was brilliant last season and he has upped it this season.

bluetrue said:
Salford_Blue said:
There is far too much fuss being made of his current form. Apart from one against The Trafford Buccanneers, his goals this season have been against Villa, Reading, WBA, Norwich, Coventry, WHU and Lyon.

He is a very good player, and I would certainly like him at City, but he needs consistency. Maybe he needs to play in a better team, where he is just another team member who regularly contributes, rather than being the "big fish" who bails (no pun intended!) out his side time after time.

Needs consistency!?

Probably the most consistent player in the Premier League this season. I'd always thought he was overrated - but having watched him a lot this season, he is pure class. Everything he does is brilliant.

Absolutely world-class and would start for any team in the world.
Im starting to agree the last 2 seasons I thought he would be nothing without his pace and in lots of ways thats still true but he has added so much more to his game this season the chimp bastard

BoyBlue_1985 said:
bluetrue said:
Salford_Blue said:

Needs consistency!?

Probably the most consistent player in the Premier League this season. I'd always thought he was overrated - but having watched him a lot this season, he is pure class. Everything he does is brilliant.

Absolutely world-class and would start for any team in the world.
Im starting to agree the last 2 seasons I thought he would be nothing without his pace and in lots of ways thats still true but he has added so much more to his game this season the chimp bastard

Haha! Just couldn't bring yourself to compliment him fully. ;-)

I agree with you, thought he was just fast. Some of the things I've seen him do this season though have been simply unbelievable.

He looks like fucking Donkey Kong but he's world-class too! Improved a lot this season!

Spurs would be very mediocre indeed if it weren't for Gareth Bale, he's clearly an exceptional player, and he's on the top of his game at the moment. However, if you remove him from Spurs side they'd really struggle to make the Top 4. Spurs have a fair few decent players but, Bale aside, would you have any of them in your City team? I'd take Hart over Friedel or Lloris. Zaba over Walker. Clichy over Essou-Ekotto. Kompany and Nastasic over any combination of Dawson/Caulker/Vertonghen/Gallas/Kaboul. Yaya, Silva, Barry, Milner, Nasri, Garcia, you'd take the best 3 of them to add to Bale in Midfield ahead of Sandro/Lennon/Dempsey/Sigurdsson/Dembele/Parker etc. Upfront Aguero, Dzeko and Tevez would all start before Adebayor or Defoe got a look in. Potentially, and only because I haven't seen enough of him, Holtby might get a midfield spot, but that's a long shot.

Matty said:
Spurs would be very mediocre indeed if it weren't for Gareth Bale, he's clearly an exceptional player, and he's on the top of his game at the moment. However, if you remove him from Spurs side they'd really struggle to make the Top 4. Spurs have a fair few decent players but, Bale aside, would you have any of them in your City team? I'd take Hart over Friedel or Lloris. Zaba over Walker. Clichy over Essou-Ekotto. Kompany and Nastasic over any combination of Dawson/Caulker/Vertonghen/Gallas/Kaboul. Yaya, Silva, Barry, Milner, Nasri, Garcia, you'd take the best 3 of them to add to Bale in Midfield ahead of Sandro/Lennon/Dempsey/Sigurdsson/Dembele/Parker etc. Upfront Aguero, Dzeko and Tevez would all start before Adebayor or Defoe got a look in. Potentially, and only because I haven't seen enough of him, Holtby might get a midfield spot, but that's a long shot.

The fact that, arguably, only one of our players would get into City's team hardly makes us mediocre given the fact that City have - on paper at least - the best team in the league. Make similar comparisons with our players getting into other teams and the results are very different.

I do think talk of us being a couple of players away from a title challenging team are off the mark, and I do feel we are far too reliant on one player even to be where we are. We need three or four more quality players in the summer to really be confident of a top four finish next season, and I'm far from convinced we have a top four spot locked up this season. However, I would take our current squad over all but three other squads in the league.

FrostyNRG said:
Matty said:

The fact that, arguably, only one of our players would get into City's team hardly makes us mediocre given the fact that City have - on paper at least - the best team in the league. Make similar comparisons with our players getting into other teams and the results are very different.

I do think talk of us being a couple of players away from a title challenging team are off the mark, and I do feel we are far too reliant on one player even to be where we are. We need three or four more quality players in the summer to really be confident of a top four finish next season, and I'm far from convinced we have a top four spot locked up this season. However, I would take our current squad over all but three other squads in the league.

The problem is you'll likely sell Bale to finance the purchase of three or four acolytes. Think the Spurs side looks more balanced and powerful across the park his year, rotation helps, yet up front there is a serious lack of threat, and that includes when Defoe and Adebayor are fit. ABV will have to be allowed to buy two top strikers, a Modric-esque midfielder, and keep Bale if he is to be given a fair chance of building a team fit to challenge from August to May.

Now here's a funny thing:

After 27 matches of the 2011-12 season Chelsea got rid of André Villas-Boas.

After 27 matches of the 2012-13 season, André Villas-Boas' Tottenham Hotspur overtook Chelsea into third place in the Premier League Table.

Isn't Karma a woman sometimes?

A1848_zps7e0bfdad.jpg

Sandro is a better DM than Garcia and Dembele is a better CM than Barry.

However we can say a lot clubs are 'one-man team' - Barca without Messi would struggle too. He can score 80 goals per season and can create space for guys like Alba, Adriano or Alves. The most complete football club is Bayern, to be honest.

bapi said:
Sandro is a better DM than Garcia and Dembele is a better CM than Barry.

However we can say a lot clubs are 'one-man team' - Barca without Messi would struggle too. He can score 80 goals per season and can create space for guys like Alba, Adriano or Alves. The most complete football club is Bayern, to be honest.

Very true.

Theo Walcott has chalked-up a higher proportion of Arsenal's Premier League goals & assists this season than Gareth Bale has done for Spurs, yet you don't hear anyone saying that Arsenal are a one-man team, do you?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.