The Tottenham Thread 12/13

GHoddle said:
In the last 14 games (incidentally about the time when Lloris started becoming first choice and Dembele returned from injury), we've picked up 31 points and City, Arsenal, and Chelsea have picked up 25 and we've had the best defense in the league.

It's a shame you have had lots of injuries (many, many more than anyone else), otherwise you would be winning the league by a mile.

Let's face it, you have had it easy this year with no top European competition to play in, knocked out of the cups early, and Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and ourselves have not performed strongly. It's difficult to imagine you having a better chance to qualify for the CL.

I think we will know a lot more about Spurs in about 4 or 5 weeks time.

Kun Aguero said:
Vertonghen is shockingly bad. Possibly the worst buy of the summer in the Prem.

Hi, I'm a Tottenham fan, I do come in peace.

OT: I find that honestly slightly strange. Vertonghen has been one of our most consistent players all season, he's suffered from a few concentration blips (He was awful against Leeds tbh), but apart from that he's been incredibly reliable. Decent going forward too.

As for BAE, I can understand fully why some people do dislike him. I've said for a long time that, as much as I like him as a person (really good sportsman-ship guy, always working hard etc.), he's mad. One time he'll put through some insane through ball from behind the halfway line, next he'll muck up a 2 yard pass or have some crazy shot from the halfway line that goes about 100 miles wide. He's incredibly talented but not so reliable, although tbh against Toon and WBA he was superb.

I've been pleased with our fully fit back four (bar Kaboul who's still out), except from Walker and when Caulker occasionally pitches in. They were both the main victims as to why we were conceding so many late goals, like against Everton, Norwich/WBA and you lot. Both are young and have a lot to learn, especially Walker who's been nowhere near as prolific as he was last season. They're both physically strong, very fit and very quick and in a couple of years they could be big stars at Spurs. And even though I would've liked to see a new striker (Dempsey is a good, hard worker but a squad player), Holtby looks a player and hopefully next season Andros Townsend and young Tom Caroll could get in to our midfield, they're both top prospects.

I hope you lot close the gap. For the record, it doesn't really bother me which Manc grabs the title (I just hope whichever one wins it plays the best football and deserves it), but it makes it a bit more exciting when a new team gets the title (as long as it's not Chelsea), like you did last year.

bapi said:
I think AVB is a fantastic young manager but I think next 6 weeks will make or break their season - Europa League + West Ham A, Arsenal H, Liverpool A, Fulham H, Swansea A and then Everton H, Chelsea A, Man. City H, Wigan A. It's clear they'll need Bale at his best to make Top4.

That's a challenging run-in. I feel a bit more confident now that they won't finish above us lol.

That said, I'd still like to see them get top 4 ahead of Arsenal because I'd be intrigued to see how Arsenal get on without a season of Champions League football and the money it brings in. While I don't think one season out of the CL will cause them too many financial problems, it'd be interesting to see how they'd react to it - would they finally open the purse strings to stengthen significantly? Would Wenger stay on, etc?

That said, the nightmare scenario facing Spurs would be to finish 4th but for the second season in a row seeing someone finishing outside the top 4 and winning the CL. How unlucky would that be?

chris63 said:
moomba said:
chris63 said:
If we don't pull our finger out i can see the spuds finishing 2nd and us having a battle on are hands to be 4th or better. We don't want to finish 4th and then have to qualify, because our history in this comp aint good.

Oh come on.

8 points ahead, our form is better than theirs (14 points from our last 6 against their 12 points).

Just like last year, not going to happen.

Some tricky games coming up and where not really setting the world on fire with our football atm.

They're not setting the world on fire and have tricky games coming up as well.

M18CTID said:
bapi said:
I think AVB is a fantastic young manager but I think next 6 weeks will make or break their season - Europa League + West Ham A, Arsenal H, Liverpool A, Fulham H, Swansea A and then Everton H, Chelsea A, Man. City H, Wigan A. It's clear they'll need Bale at his best to make Top4.

That's a challenging run-in. I feel a bit more confident now that they won't finish above us lol.

That said, I'd still like to see them get top 4 ahead of Arsenal because I'd be intrigued to see how Arsenal get on without a season of Champions League football and the money it brings in. While I don't think one season out of the CL will cause them too many financial problems, it'd be interesting to see how they'd react to it - would they finally open the purse strings to stengthen significantly? Would Wenger stay on, etc?

That said, the nightmare scenario facing Spurs would be to finish 4th but for the second season in a row seeing someone finishing outside the top 4 and winning the CL. How unlucky would that be?

That would be the biggest sucker punch of the season, but realistically I can't see Arsenal beating Bayern let alone getting to the final and winning it. Chelsea may have been poor league-wise but when Di Matteo came in they were suddenly a more confident side, that 5-1 FA Cup thrashing last year proved that, even when we were in top, top form (before we started crashing).

I can't stand Spurs..
Watching their annual implosion will be almost as fun as watching Madrid wreak havoc on the Rags.

Missing out on top four could see them wave bye bye to Bale.
We'll make a bid, and if we don't land him Madrid will.

As long as he doesn't join the rags, he can do what he wants.

King-Kun said:
I can't stand Spurs..
Watching their annual implosion will be almost as fun as watching Madrid wreak havoc on the Rags.

If you really think he's going to go anywhere in the UK, especially to either City or United, then you clearly a) know nothing about us as a club and b) know nothing about our chairman.

THFCJames said:
King-Kun said:
I can't stand Spurs..

If you really think he's going to go anywhere in the UK, especially to either City or United, then you clearly a) know nothing about us as a club and b) know nothing about our chairman.

Most likely he'll be joining madrid.
But it sure wouldn't hurt us to atleast make a substantial bid.

Levy plays hardball though, so yes he'll likely be sold to madrid - even at a lower price than we might bid.

King-Kun said:
I can't stand Spurs..

Think Madrid we buy him if not us

I think AVB deserves a lot of credit.

He inherited some good players from Redknapp, but he has improved Tottenham a lot. Lloris, Dembele and Holtby have all been good, cheap signings aswell as bringing through players like Caulker and Naughton.

He's also improved Gareth Bale massively. He doesn't get a lot of credit regarding Bale, but it's obvous Bale has gone up a level this season and AVB definitely plays a part in that. Under Redknapp, Bale was too often a kick-and-rush player. Bale's positioning, movement and vision in the attacking third are a lot better this season.

I think Tottenham will finish third, Chelsea still have a few bad results to come with Benitez in charge. I'd be stunned if Tottenham didn't finish in the top four.

If AVB buys well, which he has done so far at Tottenham, they are realistic title challengers in the next few years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.