The Tottenham Thread 13/14 part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
blueparrot said:
THFC6061 said:
Pat impressed with defence

A5993_zpse3cc93b6.jpg

The team laid down a defensive marker in the Premier League on Sunday – now they can do the same in Europe.

Sunday’s goalless draw at Everton made it seven clean sheets in our first 10 league matches – the first time we’ve achieved that feat.

If we follow up with another shut-out against FC Sheriff in the Europa League on Thursday night, it will be six on the trot in Europe this term.

That will match our run of six-successive clean sheets from our successful UEFA Cup campaign in 1971-72, the best in our European history.

Bill Nicholson’s team kept out IBK Keflavik (H), Nantes (H and A), Rapid Bucharest (H and A) and U T Arad (A) on the way to beating Wolves in the two-legged final in 1972.

Pat Jennings was in goal throughout that campaign. “We were strong defensively and it’s important if you want to progress in Europe,” said the legendary goalkeeper.

“Things are going well defensively at the moment. The good thing is if you are keeping clean sheets, whenever you score in a game, you have a great chance of winning.”

Pat played 36 times for us in Europe between 1964-77. He was in goal for our two UEFA Cup Finals of 1972 and 1974, plus a run to the semi-finals in 1972-73, when we lost out to Liverpool on goal difference.

It could be a historic night against the Moldovan champions - Jermain Defoe needs one goal to become our all-time top goalscorer in Europe, he's currently level with Martin Chivers on 22.

P0363_zps877cb11e.png

Is it just me that can't read more than 3 lines of that before thinking life's too short and giving up.

You mean you got three lines into it I just looked at who posted it then skipped the lot knowing it is the pie chart Charlie with more of his shit

THFC6061 said:
supercity88 said:
Do you Spuds fans not think Defoe should be given a run out in the League based on his goal scoring in Europe. The opposition may be weaker but a striker scoring is better than one that isn't and Defoe might address the issue of not scoring enough. I agree a solid defence is a good starting point, but the Rags proved last season that goals win games!

Defoe has actually played in 7 of Tottenham's 10 Premier League matches this season (started v West Ham and used sub in 6 other games).

He's yet to find the back of the net in the 163 Premier League minutes he's played so far this season.

Yeah so he has started one game where Spuds were poor in general. Do you think he should start more games for Spurs. He has only been given on average about 20mins in each of those 7 games taking your numbers. So do Spuds fans feel he should be given more starts in the league considering his stats in Europe are impressive and Soldado has not set the world alight when compared to his compatriots record so far at City since moving to the Prem last summer.

THFC6061 said:
mancityvstoke said:
I remember when we did the Europa league

And I remember when you couldn't even qualify for the Europa League.

Last season, wasn't it?

Why is this **** allowed to constantly allowed to come on our forum and take the piss or attempt to KNOBHEAD

THFC6061 said:
supercity88 said:
Do you Spuds fans not think Defoe should be given a run out in the League based on his goal scoring in Europe. The opposition may be weaker but a striker scoring is better than one that isn't and Defoe might address the issue of not scoring enough. I agree a solid defence is a good starting point, but the Rags proved last season that goals win games!

Defoe has actually played in 7 of Tottenham's 10 Premier League matches this season (started v West Ham and used sub in 6 other games).

He's yet to find the back of the net in the 163 Premier League minutes he's played so far this season.

Maybe you should let him take penalties then.

markbmcfc said:
THFC6061 said:
supercity88 said:

Maybe you should let him take penalties then.

I actually think there's a case for playing Soldado & Defoe straight from the off in a 4-4-2 formation in certain matches.

But the flip-side to this means you lose a central midfielder, which can impact the defensive capabilities of the team.

Seasideblue said:
THFC6061 said:
mancityvstoke said:

Last season, wasn't it?

Why is this **** allowed to constantly allowed to come on our forum and take the piss or attempt to KNOBHEAD

leave him be. hes posting on a spurs thread, if you dont want to talk with or even read about other clubs fans on here, dont come on this thread.....simple innit?!!!

THFC6061 said:
mancityvstoke said:

Last season, wasn't it?

Ah so, just so we're clear here, it's better to make the later stages of the Europa League, having not been in the Champion's League at all, than it is to qualify for the Champion's League but go out in the group stage. Good to know, I'll tell Pellegrini to adjust his aims and go for that magical 5th spot.

Qualify for the Champion's League and go out in the group stage, or qualify for the Europa League and lose in the quarter Final to those European giants FC Basle? Oooh, it's a tough choice.........

burning blue soul said:
Seasideblue said:
THFC6061 said:

Last season, wasn't it?

leave him be. hes posting on a spurs thread, if you dont want to talk with or even read about other clubs fans on here, dont come on this thread.....simple innit?!!!

He's posting on a Spurs thread, so why is he trying to take the piss out of City?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.