The word is spreading

adammck said:
Been travelling through Eastern Africa making my way south and I've seen a good amount of City shirts around, even if pretty remote areas. They love their footy over here and it seems City is definately becoming stronger here in the fanbase. Still heaps of Rags, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool fans as you\d expect. It feels very odd! A heap of locals try to trade me my city shorts and shirts and the work for local stuff hah, no deal what so ever!

Do you think that having YaYa and Kolo on our books has helped our exposure in Africa?

Watching England Italy with Italian-American family in local pub who were visiting from Massachusetts. Daughter is a City fan as she's fallen in love with Sami Nasri.

Plays By Sense Of Smell said:
Watching England Italy with Italian-American family in local pub who were visiting from Massachusetts. Daughter is a City fan as she's fallen in love with Sami Nasri.

no accounting for taste.

good footballer but hardly a looker

I agree, but my niece loves him too. She even chose to study French instead of Spanish at school because she's convinced she's going to marry him!

failsworthblueboy said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Our colours probably played little or no part in ADUG's decision to buy our club, but what great colours we have.

Sky Blue is so marketable from a branding point of view. It's probably one of the reasons I decided to ignore the rest of my immediate family and become a City fan tbh.

I always thought we played in Cambridge blue, Sky blue being Coventrys colour. Although we do seem to be going down the sky blue marketing thing I don't think it is or should i say was our shade of blue.

Our kit was described as Cambridge Blue when we became Manchester City, Light Blue just after the second world war and then this evolved into Sky Blue within a decade (Acc to historical football kits who probably got their info off Gary James). The Blue used by Cambridge University rugby team and Cambridge University rowing club are different colours, both are described as Cambridge Blue. The rowing colour now has a lot of green in it and developed over the years, it was specifically changed by someone in the boat club, they didn't want it the same as the rugby club. The bluest of these colours(bottom left) in the diagram below is from the Victorian era when our colour was described as 'Cambridge Blue' but AFAIK we don't know if it was close to this colour or lighter/greener. As you can see the boat club colour and University administrative colours are not exactly the same. Eton is mentioned because the first colour they had was a ribbon in Eton colours (Oxford had already established their dark blue for the race from christ Church colours)

2u8l6h0.png

TimeBlue said:
I agree, but my niece loves him too. She even chose to study French instead of Spanish at school because she's convinced she's going to marry him!

wow
I mean he is not "bulldog licking piss off a nettle" ugly but I am surprised

Carver said:
failsworthblueboy said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Our colours probably played little or no part in ADUG's decision to buy our club, but what great colours we have.

Sky Blue is so marketable from a branding point of view. It's probably one of the reasons I decided to ignore the rest of my immediate family and become a City fan tbh.

I always thought we played in Cambridge blue, Sky blue being Coventrys colour. Although we do seem to be going down the sky blue marketing thing I don't think it is or should i say was our shade of blue.

Our kit was described as Cambridge Blue when we became Manchester City, Light Blue just after the second world war and then this evolved into Sky Blue within a decade (Acc to historical football kits who probably got their info off Gary James). The Blue used by Cambridge University football team and Cambridge University rowing club are different colours but both described as Cambridge Blue. The rowing colour has a lot of green in it, we must have taken after the football colour.

Our Blue was initially Cambridge Blue and did become Sky Blue at some point. I'm sure I'll have a ref to when the words Sky Blue were first used but I reckon it was about 1910-15. By 1934 it was usually described as Sky Blue and Coventry changed to all sky blue shirts because of us (I've written about this often). We were the original sky blues.

The colour didn't play a part in the buying process, but I was told that the beauty of our colour is that it matches the colour of the sky over Abu Dhabi by a leading UAE figure.

And, more importantly from a brand point of view, it's a colour no one else in the business world really owns (I guess you could argue Barclays, but it's a bit different). If you think of our colour ultimately it offers so much potential.

Hi Gary, I edited my post, I found a pdf document linked from Cambridge Blue wiki page, think it's through the university. From B&W images I've seen the blue shown here is dark compared with the shade on B&W photos. Plus it's on a computer screen and you don't get the actual colour as each monitor is different.

I heard somewhere links with it being the colour of purity, that's why you see the virgin Mary in a sky blue shawl and some links with the masons using those colours. Rumours or any truth in it? Don't tell the owners about the links with christianity shhhhh!

"it's a colour no one else in the business world really owns"

We are not alone....

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo0LbJBpMS4&list=UUpTWuwqik9cortkhI4Eb9Ag&index=5&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo0LbJBp ... ature=plcp</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.