The worlds top sports and your opinion of the biggest icon

10. Golf - Jack no Tiger no Jack no Tiger fuck it Tiger Woods edges it.

The way I've always put it, Nicklaus is the greatest golfer of all time, but Woods played the greatest golf of all time. I modified that after the last Masters and decided Woods is the greatest of all time, even short a few majors. Nicklaus has more majors, and didn't play in the staggering number of restricted-field events Woods did. But in their prime, with the same equipment, I have to believe Woods would beat Nicklaus over the course of a season. Woods overpowered golf courses; Jack out-thought them. I think Woods' short game was hands down better than Jack's in their primes, whereas Jack was a much more accurate driver. But I bet if you played an entire season in inclement weather on tremendously difficult courses, Nicklaus would prevail.

Last edited:
The way I've always put it, Nicklaus is the greatest golfer of all time, but Woods played the greatest golf of all time. I modified that after the last Masters and decided Woods is the greatest of all time, even short a few majors. Nicklaus has more majors, and didn't play in the staggering number of restricted-field events Woods did. But in their prime, with the same equipment, I have to believe Woods would beat Nicklaus over the course of a season. Woods overpowered golf courses; Jack out-thought them. I think Woods' short game was hands down better than Jack's in their primes, whereas Jack was a much more accurate driver. But I bet if you played an entire season in inclement weather on tremendously difficult courses, Nicklaus would prevail.

Unless they were competing at the same time it's impossible to compare. Jack was long for his time and obviously played with inferior equipment and general athletism wasn't big in those times. Slower greens less wedges bunkers were more of a hazard. Both mentality very strong.

To me Jack is the best unless tiger gets 18. I would say tiger gets the iconic vote due to worldwide status.

Unless they were competing at the same time it's impossible to compare. Jack was long for his time and obviously played with inferior equipment and general athletism wasn't big in those times. Slower greens less wedges bunkers were more of a hazard. Both mentality very strong.

To me Jack is the best unless tiger gets 18. I would say tiger gets the iconic vote due to worldwide status.

All very fair. I actually think you could make a case Jack isn't even 2nd on the "iconic" list -- it might be Arnold Palmer, at least in America.

I've always liked Nicklaus more than Woods, just because if you read his books on golf, Nicklaus could absolutely relate his game to the average golfer's, with dozens of ideas on how to improve your game without having to hit it nine miles. Tiger really did play a game with which the rest of us are unfamiliar. His approach isn't nearly as adoptable. He could take what looked like huge risks and pull them off because he was so talented and so mentally tough (Palmer was that way too to some extent). Still take Jack winning the Masters in 86 as my favorite non-City sports moment, but I was totally jacked for Woods last year.

Woods IMO was hampered by having an asshole of a stage father. I couldn't stand Earl Woods.

Last edited:
All very fair. I actually think you could make a case Jack isn't even 2nd on the "iconic" list -- it might be Arnold Palmer, at least in America.

I've always liked Nicklaus more than Woods, just because if you read his books on golf, Nicklaus could absolutely relate his game to the average golfer's, with dozens of ideas on how to improve your game without having to hit it nine miles. Tiger really did play a game with which the rest of us are unfamiliar. His approach isn't nearly as adoptable. He could take what looked like huge risks and pull them off because he was so talented and so mentally tough (Palmer was that way too to some extent). Still take Jack winning the Masters in 86 as my favorite non-City sports moment, but I was totally jacked for Woods last year.

Woods IMO was hampered by having an asshole of a stage father. I couldn't stand Earl Woods.

My worst non city moment,in fact thinking about it my worst sport moment of them all, was Tom Watson not getting that up and down to win the open. That would have been legendary.

Missing Bradman (arguably the statistically best sportsman of all time) and Wayne Gretzky yet including a bloody hot dog eating contest winner is bloody criminal!
Bradman's career Test batting average of 99.94 has been cited as the greatest achievement by any sportsman in any major sport.

My worst non city moment,in fact thinking about it my worst sport moment of them all, was Tom Watson not getting that up and down to win the open. That would have been legendary.
i was thinking about this the other day. Along the years I never rooted for Watson, ever. My man was Jack, and if it wasn't him it was a host of others, and it was usually to beat Tom. That chip-in in the '82 US Open on the 17th to beat Jack made me mental. But I always respected his Majors, especially all those Open Championships. That was maybe the worst I ever felt for somebody in all of sport as well when he missed the putt. I was hoping so hard for Tom, especially when I thought he had hit his second shot perfect, then it released, and kept going and going through the green, unlucky. I still thought he'd do it, but a poor third put too much pressure on the putt. That win would have been legendary indeed . I was almost was in tears, if he had won I probably would have been.

Bradman's career Test batting average of 99.94 has been cited as the greatest achievement by any sportsman in any major sport.

Yes, and didn't he miss an average of 100 by getting out for a duck (first ball?) in his final innings that would have got him there?

So after Bradman, how about the great Jack Simmons?
In other sports, Pele in football, Laver or Nadal in tennis, Colin Meads in rugby union, and no one will have heard of my nominee in rugby league.

Last edited:
Boxing - Sugar Ray Robinson

Record - 200 fights; 172 wins; 109 by KO; 19 losses; 6 draws; 2NCs

His record by 1951 when he was 30, was 128-1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.