The worlds top sports and your opinion of the biggest icon

The amazing stat about Gretzky:

In hockey, you get a point for a goal and one for an assist. Gretzky had 2,857 points -- 894 goals and 1,963 assists.

The next closest guy in points? Jaromir Jagr at 1,921.

That means even if Gretzky had never scored a SINGLE goal in his career -- and he's the all-time leading goal scorer in hockey history -- he'd STILL be leading the all-time points list.

THAT is greatness.

The amazing stat about Gretzky:

In hockey, you get a point for a goal and one for an assist. Gretzky had 2,857 points -- 894 goals and 1,963 assists.

The next closest guy in points? Jaromir Jagr at 1,921.

That means even if Gretzky had never scored a SINGLE goal in his career -- and he's the all-time leading goal scorer in hockey history -- he'd STILL be leading the all-time points list.

THAT is greatness.
Its hockey.
Might aswell be talking about tiddly winks.

Ha -- I'm well aware -- why do you think I like footy so much???

That said, of all the professional sport leagues in North America, the one I wish I had more time for is hockey. Can't stand American football; college basketball is okay but the pro game is odious; baseball I enjoy attending as a nice day out and love my Giants but I can't claim I'm interested in watching games as a neutral.

Also @Barcon and @idahoblues . . . It's GretZky with a z(ed). May you be visited by Tie Domi in a dark alley for spelling The Great One's name wrong :)
I’m in Idaho, obviously I can’t spell

Field hockey? Is that before you flood the field and let it freeze over? Ffs. There's only one type of hockey and it's not played in a field (well, maybe a field with a frozen pond in it). And the answer is, Wayne Gretsky.

Yep. Canadians would want to include that sport, and his name would be there way above any else's. I know nothing about ice hockey (sorry, mate, that's what we call it in countries where it isn't played at any serious level), but as soon as I saw footage of Gretzky, his greatness jumped out of the screen at you.

Ali's status goes way, way beyond that of a mere athlete. I travelled widely in Africa in 1975-6, and the entire continent was simply in love with him. His stand on the Vietnam war made him a hero to many people who didn't give a damn about boxing. Billy Crystal's funeral eulogy (the best I've ever heard) says everything that needs to be said.

Football: for me, it is, hands down, Pelé. Three times a World Cup winner? Sorry, did you say three? Oh, and the small matter of over a thousand goals, at a time when the Brazilian league was still a serious proposition, because all their players hadn't been poached by Europe.

Yep. Canadians would want to include that sport, and his name would be there way above any else's. I know nothing about ice hockey (sorry, mate, that's what we call it in countries where it isn't played at any serious level), but as soon as I saw footage of Gretzky, his greatness jumped out of the screen at you.

Ali's status goes way, way beyond that of a mere athlete. I travelled widely in Africa in 1975-6, and the entire continent was simply in love with him. His stand on the Vietnam war made him a hero to many people who didn't give a damn about boxing. Billy Crystal's funeral eulogy (the best I've ever heard) says everything that needs to be said.

Football: for me, it is, hands down, Pelé. Three times a World Cup winner? Sorry, did you say three? Oh, and the small matter of over a thousand goals, at a time when the Brazilian league was still a serious proposition, because all their players hadn't been poached by Europe.

It was a shame as he got older he couldn't keep it up

One of the ways I judge greatness is when people with no or very little familiarity with something observe professionals and can instantly identify who the best is.

Gretzky was exactly the same on a hockey rink. I suspect Pele was on a football pitch too. Michael Jordan was that way on a court as well. Tiger Woods on a golf course also. But Gretzky wasn't big, imposing or flashy (Pele wasn't big but he was certainly imposing and flashy!). He was just really, really, really good.

One of the ways I judge greatness is when people with no or very little familiarity with something observe professionals and can instantly identify who the best is.

Gretzky was exactly the same on a hockey rink. I suspect Pele was on a football pitch too. Michael Jordan was that way on a court as well. Tiger Woods on a golf course also. But Gretzky wasn't big, imposing or flashy (Pele wasn't big but he was certainly imposing and flashy!). He was just really, really, really good.

By the way, your point about assists. I remember being very struck by an interview with Pelé, in which he said he was a bit miffed that he was only remembered for his goals (only!). He said he was never given credit for working really hard for all his teams and — if I remember rightly — said that he'd given more assists that led directly to goals than he'd scored goals himself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.