The youth players that played today

I think this comment sums up the delusional nature of many of the contributions on here since the final whistle yesterday. For a long time now there has been a campaign to "play the kids" which quite honestly flies in the face of reality. I would give the young lads collectively a 5.5 for this performance. The key feature of this debacle was that it was a non contest from start to finish. Chelski did not break sweat but won easily in a canter really. While our kids did not disgrace themselves the gulf between the teams was massive and we found out what will happen if we by choice or are forced to field a side with these guys in it. With respect to the above post to suggest that Angelino would do a better job than Kolorov borders on the insane. I would not be the Serb's biggest fan and in most circumstances I believe Clichy offers a better alternative but to pretend that an untried kid whose potential has yet to be properly assessed would offer an improvement on an established international is absurd. While some of the performances by the youngsters yesterday were encouraging I don't think anybody put their hands up high and proclaimed that they they deserve an extended run in the first team.

It's not absurd to suggest that Angelino may have been less shit that Kolarov, it's possibly true.

That doesn't mean Angelino is ready to start games in the first team, just that he 'may' have been less shit than Kolarov, just as 'untried' Tosin was less shit than Demichelis.

Costa would still have scored the first header if Angelino was marking him. The difference is, that Angeliono may have been marking him.

I think this comment sums up the delusional nature of many of the contributions on here since the final whistle yesterday. For a long time now there has been a campaign to "play the kids" which quite honestly flies in the face of reality. I would give the young lads collectively a 5.5 for this performance. The key feature of this debacle was that it was a non contest from start to finish. Chelski did not break sweat but won easily in a canter really. While our kids did not disgrace themselves the gulf between the teams was massive and we found out what will happen if we by choice or are forced to field a side with these guys in it. With respect to the above post to suggest that Angelino would do a better job than Kolorov borders on the insane. I would not be the Serb's biggest fan and in most circumstances I believe Clichy offers a better alternative but to pretend that an untried kid whose potential has yet to be properly assessed would offer an improvement on an established international is absurd. While some of the performances by the youngsters yesterday were encouraging I don't think anybody put their hands up high and proclaimed that they they deserve an extended run in the first team.
If it has been argued that City should play a team with 6 or 7 youth players, out of position, then I will agree with you, that it is desilusional to think that it will win us many games. However, I think what yesterday showed is that certain players in our senior squad could easily be replaced by some of the young guys. For example Adarabioyo for Demichelis, or one of the Garcia's for Fernando. I don't see how the team performance could have been worse by using these young guys in place of our non performing senior players.

It's not absurd to suggest that Angelino may have been less shit that Kolarov, it's possibly true.

That doesn't mean Angelino is ready to start games in the first team, just that he 'may' have been less shit than Kolarov, just as 'untried' Tosin was less shit than Demichelis.

Costa would still have scored the first header if Angelino was marking him. The difference is, that Angeliono may have been marking him.
If I was 20 years younger maybe I would do better than Kolorov!! ok maybe I have failed to take into account just how bad he was and maybe Angelino would be better but the evidence to suggest he would be is not very convincing

I think if you play one youth graduate in the starting eleven it elevates their performance. Iheanacho looks brilliant whenever he plays with the first team but struggled yesterday. Equally Manu Garcia looks ready to play some games with the first eleven with his awareness and work ethic.

The problem yesterday was playing 6 teenagers at once in the same team as Willy and Demichellis.

Stick Kompany next to Adarabioyo and he'd be even better. That's what it's about, just gradually putting them in like we have done with Iheanacho. No one expected that starting eleven to beat Chelsea's strongest team.

Also yesterday it was painfully obvious that the strikers were isolated and we needed an extra man in midfield to mark Fabregas but the manager didn't want to help the team out.

If I was 20 years younger maybe I would do better than Kolorov!! ok maybe I have failed to take into account just how bad he was and maybe Angelino would be better but the evidence to suggest he would be is not very convincing

Angelino's defending is suspect. He's a better footballer, by a country mile. How that will pan out as far as his career goes at City, I don't know. But when the ball went down our right, Demichelis fell asleep, Kolarov can see Diego Costa, that's DIEGO COSTA, right in front of him, onside, pulling into an open space, with Chelsea in posession of the ball, looking to cross it.

If Angelino was in that position, & chose to do fuck all to try & prevent a possible free header, it would make me question whether he had enough about him, to play at that level in the future. Kolarov plays at that level every week.

He wouldn't be doing so again, if I was in charge.

If it has been argued that City should play a team with 6 or 7 youth players, out of position, then I will agree with you, that it is desilusional to think that it will win us many games. However, I think what yesterday showed is that certain players in our senior squad could easily be replaced by some of the young guys. For example Adarabioyo for Demichelis, or one of the Garcia's for Fernando. I don't see how the team performance could have been worse by using these young guys in place of our non performing senior players.
Adarabioyo maybe would be an improvement on Demi as it is obvious that he is finished at this level. One of the Garcia's over Fernando is less clear cut but I agree that it just might work. I am not suggesting that these kids were shit it's just that the game demonstrated that collectively at least they are well short of the mark and nobody really stood out in the same way as say Kelechi has.

I don't think it is possible to provide evidence about this. It is a simple question of whether you choose to believe in a kid or not. If you give belief, and a chance to play, the kid may pay you back with good performances. That would be evidence to me. Without a chance to play it is all theory. The problem is that Pellegrini does not believe in the kids, and therefore consequently do not use them.
For me I don't really see the risk of using kids in place on certain non performing senior players. They can't be any worse, so why not?

Angelino's defending is suspect. He's a better footballer, by a country mile. How that will pan out as far as his career goes at City, I don't know. But when the ball went down our right, Demichelis fell asleep, Kolarov can see Diego Costa, that's DIEGO COSTA, right in front of him, onside, pulling into an open space, with Chelsea in posession of the ball, looking to cross it.

If Angelino was in that position, & chose to do fuck all to try & prevent a possible free header, it would make me question whether he had enough about him, to play at that level in the future. Kolarov plays at that level every week.

He wouldn't be doing so again, if I was in charge.
Not trying to support the guy but he may point out if he was asked and could give an honest answer that it the defensive system we play that is the problem and not the personnel on the field. We seem to be drilled into keeping the defensive line rather than picking up on and trying to neutralise dangerous movement in the final third

Not trying to support the guy but he may point out if he was asked and could give an honest answer that it the defensive system we play that is the problem and not the personnel on the field.
I do think you have a point there. A better system would help a lot.

Not trying to support the guy but he may point out if he was asked and could give an honest answer that it the defensive system we play that is the problem and not the personnel on the field. We seem to be drilled into keeping the defensive line rather than picking up on and trying to neutralise dangerous movement in the final third

That is absolutely true imo, it's dreadful & just a symptom of having a completely outdated manager in charge. The whole league can see it. Klopp is watching it now, hoping we do it same as usual v them, like we did last time. They know that if we do & they play it right, they will beat it, over & over again.

But that goal Costa scored, they were in our box, onside looking to cross & all we had to do, was stand in the middle of our six yard box. It would earn the left back a bollocking at U12 level. Demichelis was also shit, but at least had the excuse that Costa had sneaked behind him. Costa was in front of Kolarov. He has been trained, since a kid, to see that danger & come accross to stop it, they all have, at every club, everywhere.

He had enough time to do it, but just decided not to bother. I'd decide not to bother picking him anymore. I'd rather play a centre back there, anything.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.