These last fifteen years

I remember around 2000-01 We played Ipswich in the league cup quarter final. It was the game when Royle mentioned decapitation not being worthy of a penalty(The referee was unbelievably rank that night) I went to that game in the hope of City getting to our first semi final(major trophy) since I was 8. City outplayed the fuckers that night and what with bad luck, bad finishing and terrible reffing, we lost 1-2(I think) and I walked away from Maine Road heartbroken, thinking, is just one semi final too much to fucking ask for !! :( Then we did again against West ham then Blackburn a few years later in the fa cup and then I started to believe we'd never ever win fuck all again. How wrong was I ! :)

Will always remember the excitement of the takeover day, then the subsequent rise to being the best club in the world and the demise of our neighbours. Hollywood script time.

I was actually so conditioned to failure and "Typical City" syndrome that even though we were the richest club in the world and had improved, I truly believed we were doomed and destined to fail. This apprared to be the case as I seem to remember with Hughes in charge we were in the bottom half of the table at one point. We then lost the 4-3 at the swamp and were knocked out of the semi final of the league cup by the rags. Our misery and their gloating continued. Mancini came in and we improved further but again failed to win a trophy and got pipped to top four by a Peter Crouch goal, supposedly a City fan. Yet another typical City moment. Finally the next season we actually won a trophy after 35 years and at last we were on our way.

Last edited:
The fifteen years before it were incredible n’all.

We went from being a side that looked like it could take that next step up with a few more signings to challenge for/win trophies, after finishing 5th twice in a row in the early 90s (one of those was above United and the other above Liverpool)…

But that didn’t happen and in Typical City fashion we got worse, we got Swales out, Lee in, then we spiralled down to the third tier with two relegations, then the ’99 Play-off final, back-to-back promotions, Blackburn away, then down again, then that cracking Keegan promotion side (100+ goals), the emotional last ever season at Maine Road, finished 8th, the excitement of the move to the new stadium, moving to the CoMS, started playing in Europe again for the first time in my life, then just a few years later the takeover…

There’s rarely been a dull moment for the last 30 years.

There are clubs where nothing has happened in those 30 years! Rochdale spent 36 straight years in midtable of the same division from 1974-2010. But even Everton’s last 30 years have nearly been as boring as that.

Being a City fan is fucking mad, all the time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember around 2000-01 We played Ipswich in the league cup quarter final. It was the game when Royle mentioned decapitation not being worthy of a penalty(The referee was unbelievably rank that night) I went to that game in the hope of City getting to our first semi final(major trophy) since I was 8. City outplayed the fuckers that night and what with bad luck, bad finishing and terrible reffing, we lost 1-2(I think) and I walked away from Maine Road heartbroken, thinking, is just one semi final too much to fucking ask for !! :( Then we did again against West ham then Blackburn a few years later in the fa cup and then I started to believe we'd never ever win fuck all again. How wrong was I ! :)

Yeah the atmosphere before West Ham game was electric as well, really thought we were going to do it
Dean Ashton was unbelievable:(

For many FOCs like me, this is second time around……Dowd, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman.
Lets not throw it away this time.

It’s just the start.

I remember being early 20s and playing Spurs* in what would have been a place in the semifinals of the FA Cup. City in the fucking Semi’s! Of course though it wasn’t to be, but that taste of what could have been, given the fact we were never close to winning anything at all.

FF to 2011 and all that happened in between. To lift that trophy was fucking unbelievable. FF to now and all the success we’ve had, the fact we are the biggest club in England, the fact them lot are dog shit, the fact the best players come here, the fact we’ve secured Pep longer than any club has previously, the fact we are established as one of, if not thee best run club in world football….

To think where all this ends up is quite the thing.

*That was a fucking mental day in the end.

For many FOCs like me, this is second time around……Dowd, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman.
The mid -late 70s team with the likes of Dave Watson, Dennis Tueart , Asa Hartford,Joe Royle, Peter Barnes, Brian Kidd ,Willie Donachie and Big Joe in nets was also a great time to be a blue.
League Cup winners 1976, 1st Division runners up 1977, and 4th in 1978 wasn't a bad record.
It's just after Big Mal returned that it all went tits up.

It's funny but I was thinking back to this just the other day. Those of us around then and still here have lived through the two greatest periods in our history. We won every trophy available back then, even a European one. The Cup Winners cup may have been second to the European cup but it was still a major trophy. Like the European cup you had to have won a trophy to compete in it, not like the champions league now. The fairs cup was one that you went into based on league positions.

The club should do a documentary on the fans who've witnessed both successful eras as we're not getting any younger, even those of us who were kids back then are in our sixties now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.