These so called city "glory hunters"

seattleblue33 said:
Hey guys. At the end of this I am pretty sure I am going to get ripped for this but here is the story of one so called glory hunter.

1st and foremost I was a basketball player and am a full-time college basketball coach. I was born (1982) and raised in seattle washington and am a huge supporter of our local teams: UW Huskies (college), Seahawks (american football), and Mariners (baseball).

In 2008 my heart was ripped out and with the help of the NBA commissioner our NBA team, the Supersonics, was moved 2000 miles to Oklahoma City. I am still not over it. That being said i dont follow an NBA team anymore just the NBA. I needed something to fill that hole. NFL and MLB are too "stop and go for me". My little brother was always a big soccer man and played in college. Quite frankly, I often mocked the sport. But he kept telling me how great the Premier was. The crowds, the rivalries, the stars, the promotions, the relagations etc. I decided, ok, I gonna give this a chance. Watch a few games.

He was a chelsea fan. So Im not gonna follow them. United? Ha, I'm not rooting for the Yankees. Arsenal and liverpool seemed like Lakers and Celtics to me, so no go there. So as a basketball fan I've always loved guys with flair, flash, and style (Vince Carter, Shawn Kemp, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Gary Payton etc) even if that meant they didn't end up as hall of famers.

As an an american with the just a passing interest in soccer I enjoyed the Brazilian National Team for the same qualities I liked certain basketball players. Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, etc.

So when looking for a premier league team outside of the top four I looked for who had "Brazilians". And who had that flair. At that that it was City and Robinho. Later is was adebayor (not brazilian i know but a still a player with some "flair"). I had no idea who owned City or what their story was but they were fun and seemed to be on the up and up. They had fun entertaining players (craig bellamy, SWP, JO).

Now, I would watch the Champions league final before I'd watch Game 6 of last years NBA finals (and that finals was aaaaaamazing.)

I'm on Bluemoon at least 5 times a day (too scared to post due to my lack of soccer knowledge). Im checking out goal.com, bleacherreport, epltalk, teamtalk (for the paper rundown) for all the news.

But i really do love following Man City. I can't wait to up at 4:30 am and silently cheer at the top of my lungs so as not to wake up my roommates. I was over the moon when they came to vancouver to play in the preseason. I consider myself a fan in the best way I can be. It pains me to see Ade, Bells and SWP on the way out cuz THOSE are the guys that really truly made me a fan. When I showed my roommates Ade's celebration vs Arsenal, they immediately said, "Yeah, thats your guy, and thats your team".

And this is where I get ripped. You guys sound like an indie band's fans who finally have a hit and our the radio now and are successful and therefore generate worldwide fans, which helps them be even more successful. But now, no one can be a fan of this band/team unless you were born and bred in Manchester. If one of you guys was a Seahawks fan, I would be like WHOA. I would wanna know how and why you became fan, (BTW the hawks literally had moving vans at their training camp ready to move out of town until Paul Allen, microsoft billionaire, bought them. So I know a thing or two about being the worst team in the league then being saved and becoming a 1st class org)

I just think the more the merrier. You have a team FULL of rockstars (Aguero, Silva, Yaya, Hart, Tevez, Balotelli etc). Let them be rockstars. Help fans like myself with intelligent conversation on blue moon. Educate me on soccer, the positions. Why Nasri is a better fit than Modric. Why Robinho sucked and Aguero won't. Post the songs on youtube so I can sing them at 4:30 am. A slap on the back and a welcome to the rollercoaster that is being a city fan would go a lot farther than the condescension im seeing here. I'm doing the best I can. This year is the 1st year Fox is making all games HD (WOOT WOOT!!!!!). Almost every premier league game on the tube. It getting easier to be a fan. Embrace us, dont push us away.

Thanks guys.

(And yes I go to sounders games and follow them a little but its low low level soccer. I love american football but I wont watch the CFL or the Euroleague when they had it. I wanna watch the best play the best play the best. And thats EPL and Champions league. Sorry for the length. Proceed to with the ripping)

Welcome to the City family :)

Once you become a City fan, you're hooked for life, and I hope that you feel fully embraced by us on Bluemoon and us as a general fanbase.

I just want to commiserate you on your choice to become a City fan. You've voluntarily let yourself in for thousands of hours of anger, frustration and watching as City inexplicably snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It's a hell of a ride though, and totally worth every single moment.

Also, City have a decent following in the US, you should see if there are any meetups in the Seattle area. There's lots of American posters on here that should be able to help you. You should also look into this, if you are looking for other City fans:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfcsc.com/index.php/branches/id/BlueMoonOverSeattle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfcsc.com/index.php/branche ... verSeattle</a>

Oh, and don't be scared to ask questions on things that you don't understand on here. Most of us are generally decent people who will help you out. If you are still a bit nervous, you can always PM me and I'll answer anything that I can help with.

seattleblue33 said:
Hey guys. At the end of this I am pretty sure I am going to get ripped for this but here is the story of one so called glory hunter.

1st and foremost I was a basketball player and am a full-time college basketball coach. I was born (1982) and raised in seattle washington and am a huge supporter of our local teams: UW Huskies (college), Seahawks (american football), and Mariners (baseball).

In 2008 my heart was ripped out and with the help of the NBA commissioner our NBA team, the Supersonics, was moved 2000 miles to Oklahoma City. I am still not over it. That being said i dont follow an NBA team anymore just the NBA. I needed something to fill that hole. NFL and MLB are too "stop and go for me". My little brother was always a big soccer man and played in college. Quite frankly, I often mocked the sport. But he kept telling me how great the Premier was. The crowds, the rivalries, the stars, the promotions, the relagations etc. I decided, ok, I gonna give this a chance. Watch a few games.

He was a chelsea fan. So Im not gonna follow them. United? Ha, I'm not rooting for the Yankees. Arsenal and liverpool seemed like Lakers and Celtics to me, so no go there. So as a basketball fan I've always loved guys with flair, flash, and style (Vince Carter, Shawn Kemp, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Gary Payton etc) even if that meant they didn't end up as hall of famers.

As an an american with the just a passing interest in soccer I enjoyed the Brazilian National Team for the same qualities I liked certain basketball players. Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, etc.

So when looking for a premier league team outside of the top four I looked for who had "Brazilians". And who had that flair. At that that it was City and Robinho. Later is was adebayor (not brazilian i know but a still a player with some "flair"). I had no idea who owned City or what their story was but they were fun and seemed to be on the up and up. They had fun entertaining players (craig bellamy, SWP, JO).

Now, I would watch the Champions league final before I'd watch Game 6 of last years NBA finals (and that finals was aaaaaamazing.)

I'm on Bluemoon at least 5 times a day (too scared to post due to my lack of soccer knowledge). Im checking out goal.com, bleacherreport, epltalk, teamtalk (for the paper rundown) for all the news.

But i really do love following Man City. I can't wait to up at 4:30 am and silently cheer at the top of my lungs so as not to wake up my roommates. I was over the moon when they came to vancouver to play in the preseason. I consider myself a fan in the best way I can be. It pains me to see Ade, Bells and SWP on the way out cuz THOSE are the guys that really truly made me a fan. When I showed my roommates Ade's celebration vs Arsenal, they immediately said, "Yeah, thats your guy, and thats your team".

And this is where I get ripped. You guys sound like an indie band's fans who finally have a hit and our the radio now and are successful and therefore generate worldwide fans, which helps them be even more successful. But now, no one can be a fan of this band/team unless you were born and bred in Manchester. If one of you guys was a Seahawks fan, I would be like WHOA. I would wanna know how and why you became fan, (BTW the hawks literally had moving vans at their training camp ready to move out of town until Paul Allen, microsoft billionaire, bought them. So I know a thing or two about being the worst team in the league then being saved and becoming a 1st class org)

I just think the more the merrier. You have a team FULL of rockstars (Aguero, Silva, Yaya, Hart, Tevez, Balotelli etc). Let them be rockstars. Help fans like myself with intelligent conversation on blue moon. Educate me on soccer, the positions. Why Nasri is a better fit than Modric. Why Robinho sucked and Aguero won't. Post the songs on youtube so I can sing them at 4:30 am. A slap on the back and a welcome to the rollercoaster that is being a city fan would go a lot farther than the condescension im seeing here. I'm doing the best I can. This year is the 1st year Fox is making all games HD (WOOT WOOT!!!!!). Almost every premier league game on the tube. It getting easier to be a fan. Embrace us, dont push us away.

Thanks guys.

(And yes I go to sounders games and follow them a little but its low low level soccer. I love american football but I wont watch the CFL or the Euroleague when they had it. I wanna watch the best play the best play the best. And thats EPL and Champions league. Sorry for the length. Proceed to with the ripping)

Brilliant first post, don't be intimidated by some of the miserable buggers on here. Welcome to the roller-coaster !

Re: These so called city

Thaksinssoldier said:
I'm a dub supporting over 20 years and you wouldn't have caught me dead in the shite reebok and le coq sportif put out!
Haha that made me laugh because the le coq sportif shirt I got aged 13/14 is by far my favourite City shirt, partly because it distinguishes me from the so-called glory-hunting foreigners, but perhaps more so because I have no fashion sense!

To answer the question, I've seen plenty who'd be classified as glory hunters, particularly when I watched the charity shield at the only 24hr sports bar here in Perth. That said our glory hunters were definitely less plentiful and fuckwitted than the rag ones.

I have to admit it does annoy me a tad that I get classified as a glory hunter by some because I don't have a Manc accent, but it's a small price to pay for our success, which means much more to me. I have also sensed a small portion of our fans do have some resentment towards non-Manc/English fans, but the vast majority are extremely welcoming. I don't really blame some people for resenting the glory hunters, but everyone should accept they're well worth putting up with if we continue to be successful.

seattleblue33 said:

Thanks guys.

i let you into a little secret

a lot on here kfa

seattleblue33 said:

Thanks guys.

Classic line " too scared to post due to my lack of soccer knowledge" , that's never stopped anyone on this forum you should feel at home.

Damocles said:
seattleblue33 said:

Thanks guys.

Welcome to the City family :)

Once you become a City fan, you're hooked for life, and I hope that you feel fully embraced by us on Bluemoon and us as a general fanbase.

I just want to commiserate you on your choice to become a City fan. You've voluntarily let yourself in for thousands of hours of anger, frustration and watching as City inexplicably snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It's a hell of a ride though, and totally worth every single moment.

Also, City have a decent following in the US, you should see if there are any meetups in the Seattle area. There's lots of American posters on here that should be able to help you. You should also look into this, if you are looking for other City fans:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfcsc.com/index.php/branches/id/BlueMoonOverSeattle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfcsc.com/index.php/branche ... verSeattle</a>

Oh, and don't be scared to ask questions on things that you don't understand on here. Most of us are generally decent people who will help you out. If you are still a bit nervous, you can always PM me and I'll answer anything that I can help with.

Appreciate the info. I will absolutely be checking out games at the George and Dragon!!!!

As far as getting used to to anger frustration etc....I'm more than used to it

Seattle has not won a professional sports title since the Sonics in 1976 (and no I'm not counting a WNBA title). 96' had the best team in NBA, but ran into the Best Jordan Era Bulls team. And now the sonics reside in Oklahoma City with the best young team and young player in the league.

Seahawks - lost a recent superbowl thanks to officials wanting the team with "history" to win. Were the worst team in the league for many many years.

Mariners - A few seasons ago won the most games ever in the history of MLB. Crashed out of playoffs in 1st round the Yanks. Now the worst hitting team of all time.

Bring on highs and lows. Thats part of the reason why City fits like a glove for me. Already its been fun. I was talking so much to my chelsea lovin brother that I would see him in the champions league 2 years ago. Then Peter crouch happened. Still, I get the random text message from him. Its a picture of crouch

Again. Thanks for the info :)

seattleblue33 said:

Thanks guys.

welcome aboard bud.. try this link for news too..

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Manchester+City" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Footba ... ester+City</a>

Suppose I could be classed as an original glory hunter from Manchester. My first live game as a 7 year old was in 70/71 when we were probably in the top 2/3 teams. First game I remember vaguely watching was the Cup Final in 1969 which hooked me.

Maybe it's just that I couldn't be arsed leaving but more likely that before you know it you're part of the family and in it for life. God only knows how much money, season tickets, away games, kits, books etc I've spent on City but it's always and I mean always been worth it. But it was and is always a labour of love for life.

To the new breed of fans who come along it's upto us blue blooded 'old timers' to make the effort to welcome newbee's and show them the way to support City. Sure there'll be some 'Rag' type glory hunters around but that comes with the price of winning things.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.