These so called city "glory hunters"

If we are to become the biggest and best club in the world we shouldn't be calling out our own breathren. It's not about who got here first but what they do while they're here. There will be true plastics who disappear when the going gets tough. But its sad to see fellow City fans get angry when someone falls in love with our great club.

I for one would one day like to go on holiday in Buenos Aires and see a blue. And not some third Barcelona kit.

alky313 said:
If we are to become the biggest and best club in the world we shouldn't be calling out our own breathren. It's not about who got here first but what they do while they're here. There will be true plastics who disappear when the going gets tough. But its sad to see fellow City fans get angry when someone falls in love with our great club.

I for one would one day like to go on holiday in Buenos Aires and see a blue. And not some third Barcelona kit.

Or some Rag kit whenever Comic Relief show the kids in Africa!!!

The only frustrating thing about being a foreign fan now is that when people ask who I support and I say City I have to immediately qualify it that I've supported the club before we got the money. I suppose that's always how it's going to be though now that we've got money and success.

Phleeper said:
I did see a lot of people wearing the Kappa kit in the late 90's and when I asked them if they were blues, they always said it was because they liked the shirt.

that shirt was the dogs bollox though

gordondaviesmoustache said:
I'm a long term supporter myself.

I remember my first day as a City supporter very well.

1st September 2008. Been following them ever since then, through thick and thin.
Yeah, I've been a fan since the promotion back in 02, really became a big supporter after the arrival of Sven in 07.<br /><br />-- Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:48 am --<br /><br />
alky313 said:

I agree, I welcome blues with open arms, you're bound to encounter the true plastics but they will come and go as they like, other blues however should be welcomed

I think I may be counted as one.
I only started following City after the Abu Dhabi takeover, because then they were the talk of the town here in Abu Dhabi. Before that I Was only interested in Local football and some Real Madrid games ( well they had every likeable player in the galactico days ). Also, City hardly had any international presence. Only Manu or Arsenal were well known English clubs.

More I have seen of English Football and City in particular more I have liked. Now it feels wrong if I miss a city game and soon plan to Watch a game Live.
P.S. the blokes at City Fan club in Dubai are great, I have had some great moments there.

I wish people would this stop gloryhunter bashing. It belittles this club.
It is the only way the club can become globally recognisable after all.
My daughter has a Barca shirt..does that make her a gloryhunter or just a follower of a great club.
Roll on the day I go on my hols to Spain and see Spanish kids in City shirts!

The more fans we have the better, no matter where they come from or live IMO.

Hard core fans shouldn't denigrate those who wish to follow this great club.

Just cos I've been watching us through thick and mostly thin for over 40 yrs doesn't make me any better but it does give me extra satisfaction on days like today...

seattleblue33 said:
Hey guys. At the end of this I am pretty sure I am going to get ripped for this but here is the story of one so called glory hunter.

1st and foremost I was a basketball player and am a full-time college basketball coach. I was born (1982) and raised in seattle washington and am a huge supporter of our local teams: UW Huskies (college), Seahawks (american football), and Mariners (baseball).

In 2008 my heart was ripped out and with the help of the NBA commissioner our NBA team, the Supersonics, was moved 2000 miles to Oklahoma City. I am still not over it. That being said i dont follow an NBA team anymore just the NBA. I needed something to fill that hole. NFL and MLB are too "stop and go for me". My little brother was always a big soccer man and played in college. Quite frankly, I often mocked the sport. But he kept telling me how great the Premier was. The crowds, the rivalries, the stars, the promotions, the relagations etc. I decided, ok, I gonna give this a chance. Watch a few games.

He was a chelsea fan. So Im not gonna follow them. United? Ha, I'm not rooting for the Yankees. Arsenal and liverpool seemed like Lakers and Celtics to me, so no go there. So as a basketball fan I've always loved guys with flair, flash, and style (Vince Carter, Shawn Kemp, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Gary Payton etc) even if that meant they didn't end up as hall of famers.

As an an american with the just a passing interest in soccer I enjoyed the Brazilian National Team for the same qualities I liked certain basketball players. Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, etc.

So when looking for a premier league team outside of the top four I looked for who had "Brazilians". And who had that flair. At that that it was City and Robinho. Later is was adebayor (not brazilian i know but a still a player with some "flair"). I had no idea who owned City or what their story was but they were fun and seemed to be on the up and up. They had fun entertaining players (craig bellamy, SWP, JO).

Now, I would watch the Champions league final before I'd watch Game 6 of last years NBA finals (and that finals was aaaaaamazing.)

I'm on Bluemoon at least 5 times a day (too scared to post due to my lack of soccer knowledge). Im checking out goal.com, bleacherreport, epltalk, teamtalk (for the paper rundown) for all the news.

But i really do love following Man City. I can't wait to up at 4:30 am and silently cheer at the top of my lungs so as not to wake up my roommates. I was over the moon when they came to vancouver to play in the preseason. I consider myself a fan in the best way I can be. It pains me to see Ade, Bells and SWP on the way out cuz THOSE are the guys that really truly made me a fan. When I showed my roommates Ade's celebration vs Arsenal, they immediately said, "Yeah, thats your guy, and thats your team".

And this is where I get ripped. You guys sound like an indie band's fans who finally have a hit and our the radio now and are successful and therefore generate worldwide fans, which helps them be even more successful. But now, no one can be a fan of this band/team unless you were born and bred in Manchester. If one of you guys was a Seahawks fan, I would be like WHOA. I would wanna know how and why you became fan, (BTW the hawks literally had moving vans at their training camp ready to move out of town until Paul Allen, microsoft billionaire, bought them. So I know a thing or two about being the worst team in the league then being saved and becoming a 1st class org)

I just think the more the merrier. You have a team FULL of rockstars (Aguero, Silva, Yaya, Hart, Tevez, Balotelli etc). Let them be rockstars. Help fans like myself with intelligent conversation on blue moon. Educate me on soccer, the positions. Why Nasri is a better fit than Modric. Why Robinho sucked and Aguero won't. Post the songs on youtube so I can sing them at 4:30 am. A slap on the back and a welcome to the rollercoaster that is being a city fan would go a lot farther than the condescension im seeing here. I'm doing the best I can. This year is the 1st year Fox is making all games HD (WOOT WOOT!!!!!). Almost every premier league game on the tube. It getting easier to be a fan. Embrace us, dont push us away.

Thanks guys.

(And yes I go to sounders games and follow them a little but its low low level soccer. I love american football but I wont watch the CFL or the Euroleague when they had it. I wanna watch the best play the best play the best. And thats EPL and Champions league. Sorry for the length. Proceed to with the ripping)
Hey, mate. I've never posted here before, but I'm a fellow Seattle resident and City supporter. My friends and I founded a supporters club branch here a while back, and someone just alerted me to your post via Twitter. We'd love to have you join us for a pint and watch matches with us whenever you like.

Currently, our supporters club (Blue Moon over Seattle) watches the matches at the George & Dragon, in Fremont, but we're trying to talk a bar in the U-District into being a City-exclusive bar. At any rate, I see you've been linked to our page at MCFCSC.com, and I hope you'll give it a look and join up with us. We're with you -- the more the merrier!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfcsc.com/index.php/branches/id/BlueMoonOverSeattle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfcsc.com/index.php/branche ... verSeattle</a>

Either way, welcome to the fold. As I'm sure you learned at that Vancouver match, once you're a Blue, you're part of a family, and a Blue for life!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.