This Stoke defeat?

Didsbury Dave said:
Mister Appointment said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Yep, it's a hobby horse of mind too, and a drum I've banged for a long time.

You know the last player we had who had exactly the same attributes and problems? Slowing the game down and losing momentum, whilst showing enough flashes to appeal to the cheap seats?

Robinho. He was terrible for it.

Nasri (and Robinho for that matter) don't appeal to the cheap seats at all. They don't bust a gut, don't throw themselves into challenges etc.

Other than that though it's a very harsh comparison for the simple fact that Nasri is tactically very very intelligent. In fact his game intelligence keeps him in the side when his general form like you say would have him out.

You know I've always had a soft spot for him as a player. I know he can frustrate, but I also know how important he is to the way we play. He's one of those players you don't miss until he doesn't play for a few games, then you're desperate for him back, as we were when he was out injured last season.

I do agree in lots of ways. On the occasions when we've got the short passing going this season he has been involved in the main. And we did miss him when he was out. I just know that he can do so much more when his head is up and his confidence surging, like it was last autumn. He's a frustrating player, not a shit one, maybe because he loses the positivity that creates things when he's not playing well. I know I'm maybe consistently harsh on him for that reason.

I think we have to give him this season. Pellegrini's the kind of manager who's given him fucking loads of freedom in the opposition half. He's effectively got a free role. At the start of last season he was buoyed by that and he showed he good he can be. He struggled after he came back from injury but he never gave up. That goal at home against Sunderland being a prime example.

I'm optimistic overall because I expect this season if he can stay fit he'll be even better. As you say he's a confidence player, but he's got a manager who's got confidence in him and that's a big plus. We're going to know soon enough because we have a huge week coming up.

The defeat is annoying because we probably need to get more points this season than last and to drop 'easy' points at home to stoke leaves less room for error so early in the season.

Plus we still remember the complacency from winning the title last time.

And we now have a killer week. If this week was late in the season in a title race I'd be more confident. Hopefully the Stoke defeat will act as a kick up the arse and we'll have a good week.

On the actual game, I don't like seeing Silva on the left and Nasri on the right. They both play better coming in from thee opposite sides. The fullbacks benefit from the reverse passes as well. We had no width against Stoke.

Mister Appointment said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Mister Appointment said:
Nasri (and Robinho for that matter) don't appeal to the cheap seats at all. They don't bust a gut, don't throw themselves into challenges etc.

Other than that though it's a very harsh comparison for the simple fact that Nasri is tactically very very intelligent. In fact his game intelligence keeps him in the side when his general form like you say would have him out.

You know I've always had a soft spot for him as a player. I know he can frustrate, but I also know how important he is to the way we play. He's one of those players you don't miss until he doesn't play for a few games, then you're desperate for him back, as we were when he was out injured last season.

I do agree in lots of ways. On the occasions when we've got the short passing going this season he has been involved in the main. And we did miss him when he was out. I just know that he can do so much more when his head is up and his confidence surging, like it was last autumn. He's a frustrating player, not a shit one, maybe because he loses the positivity that creates things when he's not playing well. I know I'm maybe consistently harsh on him for that reason.

I think we have to give him this season. Pellegrini's the kind of manager who's given him fucking loads of freedom in the opposition half. He's effectively got a free role. At the start of last season he was buoyed by that and he showed he good he can be. He struggled after he came back from injury but he never gave up. That goal at home against Sunderland being a prime example.

I'm optimistic overall because I expect this season if he can stay fit he'll be even better. As you say he's a confidence player, but he's got a manager who's got confidence in him and that's a big plus. We're going to know soon enough because we have a huge week coming up.

Nasri can be a bit frustrating because there is that sense that he could be more dangerous if he was a bit less conservative in his play. I also think he looks to have lost a little bit of pace; although he may have gained more strength. That said, I think he gets more criticism than he deserves. I said relatively recently that you would think that some folks believe that we won the league in spite of having Nas and Yaya in the side rather than because the combination they have with Silva is the best passing triangle in the league (amongst other things).

So,a thread created to discuss an unexpected defeat has morphed into a thread about a player largely considered to be underperforming...... does that mean some are laying a lot of the blame at his door?

I think City are going to be more suited to playing away this season when teams will show a little more adventure going forward and leave some spaces for us to create chances and with the addition of Fernando I think he'll go with one up top in the tough away games. Last seasons goal blitz at home mean most teams will come with an attitude of keeping the score down to 1 or 2 so I think we may get a lot of games like the Stoke one and we just need to have a bit more of a back up plan when things are not working

We need to get over this defeat by now ffs, the players normally go on an unbeaten run of 10 games or more after a defeat......I think we'd settle for that now.

This will be a recurring problem if Pellegrini selects the same line up of midfield and forwards as he did on Saturday.

All the players chosen want the ball into feet so no-one is trying to run in behind the opposition defence. Therefore we see the carousel of passing in front of the defence which is incredibly frustrating to watch.

We were also hampered because Zabba wasn't selected to provide an alternative source of width with his overlapping runs ie making a run without necessarily getting the ball.

The one worry I have is that we have just sold our only forward who makes these penetrating runs on a regular basis.

I think we will have to play one of Jovetic or Aguero with Dzeko or just Dzeko up front on his own , at least he occasionally makes a run off the ball.

I also think that if Zabba is not chosen then Navas must play to give us the natural width on the right.

Silva and Nasri shouldn't play togther unless Silva is in the number 10 role

FantasyIreland said:
So,a thread created to discuss an unexpected defeat has morphed into a thread about a player largely considered to be underperforming...... does that mean some are laying a lot of the blame at his door?

I don't think anyone can attach any particular blame for the defeat at Nasri's door, or anyone else's for that matter. I think it was just pretty poor all round, from manager and players, coupled with Stoke defending and counter attacking well.

Dropping the points is of course disappointing, but I'd be less concerned if we were playing brilliantly, and we just aren't. We've looked laboured and sloppy in all three games to a greater or lesser degree, with too many players just not playing to their usual high standard. I have 100.00% confidence we will sort this out and be back to our best soon. I just hope we aren't 9 points+ off the lead by then or it's going to be a long hard season.

Watching City has always been an intense time for me. Passion mixed with the desperation of wanting us to win regardless of us being shit before 2008 or improving rapidly to where we are now. The game against Stoke I watched in a Bar called Shakers in Spain. I just couldn't believe how shite we were that day. Truth is we just aren't as good as we think we are & dont have a divine right to win. I fucking despise Stoke! Fair play to them I suppose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.