This Stoke defeat?

GaudinoMotors said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
There's been a culmination of things really. First we had the terrible, drab draw in the champions league, that not only leaves us unlikely to progress much further (even if we qualify it'll probably be second and then we'll draw a barca or someone again), coupled with chelsea's easy draw gives them a huge advantage in the title race. Chelsea getting a good win at a very tricky away day whilst we lose at home to stoke was a big blow, then united flash the cash whilst we sell a fan favourite striker on deadline day. Tbh I think if we'd beaten stoke people would look at most things in a positive light but, as expected, the loss has put us on a downer about most things.

With the terrible CL draw, us being handicapped by the FFP spending restrictions this summer and chelsea looking so strong at this stage it wouldn't really surprise me at this stage if this season ends up a bit of a consolidation season, with us hopefully back in business next year with more money for us to spend and hopefully a better CL draw.

That said, we've got one of the best teams in the world. Stoke was one of those days. We have big game players who can go to arsenal and turn them over and there's nothing to stop us beating chelsea and munich (though winning those 3 games in one week would require a miracle). Chelsea look strong but things can change quickly in football, and I'd much rather the rags signed di maria and falcao than vidal and benatia and I still think it's unlikely they'll be rivalling us much this season. Negredo was injured for a while anyway and I think Jovetic is a superior player who can hopefully fill the void the beast is leaving. I don't think we'd have been able to keep 4 strikers happy, yes 3 leaves us looking a little precarious but 20+ million is a good fee and we can push Nasri, Silva and Yaya further forward if necessary

Let's see how it pans out. Keep the faith.

Obviously DD is the invigilator - but I'll stick my neck out and say great post.

what's the standard benchmark? 10 games in? by the end of september we should have an idea.

meltdown and mass sackings or the quadruple is back on.

pikku said:
More than the loss,it was the way in which we lost which upset me the most,no fighting spirit,no urgency,no winning mentality shown by any of the city players.Yaya was the only one who atleast attempted to do something.The rest were just standing there fannying around with the ball as it was some training session.Had we won this game,it would have been easier going into the ars and chelsea games,now it all looks like an uphill task.Also i don't think players must take their starting spot for granted,guys like milner,navas must be given chances if the likes of nasri and jovetic are not doing well.Hopefully the issues will be addressed and we will back to our best in the coming weeks.

I'm not having a go, but were you at the game? I think all the players wanted to win and were trying. Stoke had 11 men within the width of the penalty area, there was absolutely no space for Jovetic, Silva, Nasri and Yaya to do what they usually do.

The game was crying out for width and I thought Pellers did exactly the right thing bringing Navas and Dzeko on, personally I'd have done it earlier, but he was probably being cautious as we were forced in to one early change due to Fernando's injury.

My only criticism was the full backs. Sagna while he played well, didn't make those penetrating runs that Zabba does, but it was his first game so I'll let him off. Kolarov looked knackered and didn't make those runs to the byline he usually does. The times he did, we didn't give it to him enough.

In fairness to Hughesless he did his homework and caught us on an off day.

Funny how those of us being called "Happy Clappers" now were all being called Dismal, naysayers, doom mongers and whingers 18 months ago.

Then last Autumn we morphed into Happy Clappers.

Shaelumstash said:
pikku said:
More than the loss,it was the way in which we lost which upset me the most,no fighting spirit,no urgency,no winning mentality shown by any of the city players.Yaya was the only one who atleast attempted to do something.The rest were just standing there fannying around with the ball as it was some training session.Had we won this game,it would have been easier going into the ars and chelsea games,now it all looks like an uphill task.Also i don't think players must take their starting spot for granted,guys like milner,navas must be given chances if the likes of nasri and jovetic are not doing well.Hopefully the issues will be addressed and we will back to our best in the coming weeks.

I'm not having a go, but were you at the game? I think all the players wanted to win and were trying. Stoke had 11 men within the width of the penalty area, there was absolutely no space for Jovetic, Silva, Nasri and Yaya to do what they usually do.

The game was crying out for width and I thought Pellers did exactly the right thing bringing Navas and Dzeko on, personally I'd have done it earlier, but he was probably being cautious as we were forced in to one early change due to Fernando's injury.

My only criticism was the full backs. Sagna while he played well, didn't make those penetrating runs that Zabba does, but it was his first game so I'll let him off. Kolarov looked knackered and didn't make those runs to the byline he usually does. The times he did, we didn't give it to him enough.

In fairness to Hughesless he did his homework and caught us on an off day.

Summed up well....Kolorov was woeful at times though I thought

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/09/03/5079856/mangala-fernando-in-negredo-out-inside-manchester-citys-transfer-?ICID=HP_FT_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/tra ... ID=HP_FT_1</a>

Pissed off we lost but very early days yet. Chelsea looking strong but given our quality and experience we should be able to match them all the way at worst.

Mister Appointment said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
dubblue said:
Once you say anything critical on here the usual blue tinted specs brigade come out in force. You're a rag or a flapper or whatever.

It's perfectly reasonable to express legitimate concerns after a lacklustre display three games in, despite the Prozac Squad's party line.
I share some of them, as would most folks who watched the Stoke game, but seemingly the narrative, as ever, will be set by Jim Jones and the followers of the Peoples Temple.
Just give the Kool-Aid a bodyswerve, and carry on thinking for yourself.

I think people are more than entitled to express legitimate concerns. I just wonder how legitimate any concern can be three games into a new season when we've won two of the games including one against the team who finished 2nd to us last season. Particularly when Fernando has come in and looked like a top player and Jovetic looks like a new signing. Far more cause of optimism than concern on the balance of things so far, certainly in my opinion.
This is a great post, and pretty much sums up my feelings towards the situation. I often think that these types of results can be an effective wake up call and a catalyst for a run of positive results. We do look a little lethargic at the moment, but I am hopeful that it is partly world cup hangover/pre season rustiness. Let's see where we lie after 10 games. I'll be worried if these types of results continue, but as a one off and with it being so early on I'm not too concerned.

I agree that it is just people venting their frustration at several things. Once again being given the group of death, being unfairly punished by UEFA and having to sit back and watch as the rags spend £200 million, losing Negredo and not getting in a replacement etc. If we win our next few games all will be forgotten but if we lose our next few games well better stick an extra hamster wheel in the server cos this place will be in meltdown.

George Hannah said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Funny how those of us being called "Happy Clappers" now were all being called Dismal, naysayers, doom mongers and whingers 18 months ago.
Then last Autumn we morphed into Happy Clappers.
there's only one Dismal

Indeed. Dismal Dave. The Happy Loser.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.