"Those were the days my friend" song

nw42 said:
This is brilliant, learn to sing the City way, no audio required. I reckon Gary will have it cracked by the end of today.

As for fell or went, as you say it's immaterial, although is it? There has to be a definitive version at some point, fell just sounds right to me but that"s probably because it's all I've ever known rather than because it fits better.

It's true to say that song is up there as the flagship song for City, it's the one that has stood the test of time, it tells the story, needs to be preserved.

btw, I'm 50 so I was around bitd, normally just sit around in the corner on this forum but I love the old stuff that gets thrown up every now and then, mainly the terrace stuff as opposed to the "normal" subjects.
Good to see Helen Turner remembered with such affection, yes she was a nightmare but she was our nightmare, she would never have come to any harm at aways, she was our version of the loon from Portsmouth.

Can recall a pre season friendly at Morecambe, unsure of the year but I'll go for 1977, Blues decided on a kickabout on the pitch before kick off (could've been half time), she was pretty much responsible for clearing the pitch of around 50/60 young pissheads. Good weekend that was, anybody remember the game?

it tells the story,
=============

'NAIL ON HEAD'.....

The best comment in the whole thread.... spot on!

We's better get chanting this ASAP...

instead of the shite martin Petrov der der der der der... or Adam Johnson Der der der der der... or the cringeworthy pablo Zabaletta one...

We are the scorge of the midlands
The cock of the north
we all hate the scousers, an red shit of course
WE only drink whiskey an boddingtons beer...........because the MANCHESTER boys are all here.

We`ll drink a drink a drink, to Colin our king our king our king
He`s the leader of our tea-a-m
He`s the greatest, inside forward
That the worlld...has ever seen

Away at old trafford
Only mancs in the ground
The rest are all cockneys, who dont make a sound
You fly in from hong-kong
or as far as peru
But you have to be born here
to claim your a blue.....................f*ck off back to london, f*ck off back to london

felixbg said:
either way you old bastards stopped singing it and the song has been lost pretty much ;). Gary your posts are always really interesting, i watched the dvd of the fa cup final vs leicester and all i could hear city singing all game was YNWA. was this common at the time? cheers

Yes it was. It started off the scouse way then speeded up for the second verse with claps, like this:

You'll nev (Clap clap) er walk (clap clap) alone (clap clap) walk on (clap clap)

Oh and you held your scarves in the air for the first verse. At Villa Park after Paul Power put us through to WEmbley, the whole side of the Holte End was a mass of Blue scarves to this song. I can still see it now.

blueonblue said:
We are the scorge of the midlands
The cock of the north
we all hate the scousers, an red shit of course
WE only drink whiskey an boddingtons beer...........because the MANCHESTER boys are all here.

We`ll drink a drink a drink, to Colin THE king THE king THE king
He`s the leader of MAN CITY

Away at old trafford
Only mancs in the ground
The rest are all cockneys, who dont make a sound
You fly in from hong-kong
or as far as peru
But you have to be born here
to claim your a blue.....................f*ck off back to london, f*ck off back to london

is this another debate brewing? Edited to read as I know it...

We`ll drink a drink a drink, to Colin THE king THE king THE king
He`s the leader of MAN CITY

felixbg said:
Gary your posts are always really interesting, i watched the dvd of the fa cup final vs leicester and all i could hear city singing all game was YNWA. was this common at the time? cheers

You'll Never Walk Alone was not specifically a Liverpool chant until the 70s (possibly 80s) I understand (though I could be wrong!). From the footage I've seen and interviews I've carried out it seems YNWA was sung by successful sides in the same way I guess as that old "We won the Cup" or Champions chant was.

I don't know why other teams dropped it (possibly because Liverpool tended to win more in the 70s???).

One I loved....."If you're standing on the corner with a red scarf round your neck, City boys will come and get you and we'll break your fuckin' neck/legs".....Tune of some Scaffold song.

Gary James said:
felixbg said:
Gary your posts are always really interesting, i watched the dvd of the fa cup final vs leicester and all i could hear city singing all game was YNWA. was this common at the time? cheers

You'll Never Walk Alone was not specifically a Liverpool chant until the 70s (possibly 80s) I understand (though I could be wrong!). From the footage I've seen and interviews I've carried out it seems YNWA was sung by successful sides in the same way I guess as that old "We won the Cup" or Champions chant was.

I don't know why other teams dropped it (possibly because Liverpool tended to win more in the 70s???).

The song actually is quite old, it was from the Rogers & hammerstein musical 'Carousel' of the 1940's... It was the closing song of the show... It was recorded by mersey band Gerry & The Pacemakers in 1963?... I would suggest that Liverpool actually sung it first, but also became a number one hit, so it became very popular...and still is today..

it used to be sung at most grounds, but then just dropped off... as gary suggests maybe because it became synonymous with Liverpool's success...

blueonblue said:
Sorry levets, no debate........your wrong, it was leader of our team ;0)

You may be right.... just saying how i remember it back in the early 70's.. And what they sing in the pubs today...

I have been wrong before.... I clearly remember the occasion :-)

What is definite.... the words are 'Colin THE king'... not 'our'

YNWA was sung by the kop in the mid sixties............dire f*cking tune that I hate, but it always p*ssed them off that the kop only held 22,000 while the Kippax held 34,000.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.