"Those were the days my friend" song

strongbowholic said:
nw42 said:
I remember it like that when sung on the terrace but i also recall the wooooooorrrrld version being sung in the pubs on away trips etc, it was definitely sung with woooorrrrldd in the 70s but not at games.
In pubs I can remember holding a pint pot (with handle) up in the air for fucking ages while everyone finished wooooooooorrrlllldddding, happy days.

So nobody else at that Morecambe game then? There were at least a couple of thousand blues there, red hot day, lads climbing the floodlight pylons, pitch invasions.
I wasn't but would love to have been having read your post about it.

it wasn't really a troublesome day in the way of mither, I just remember everyone being giddy at the fact there was little or no policing, it was more of a pisstake day, I popped the ball in the net myself just as their keeper was preparing to take a goalkick, running round like a daft twat on the pitch like I really had just scored, getting told to get off by players, their keeper giving me the wanker sign, just funny at the time.

Of course I gave up all that sort of behaviour around 2 or 3 years ago.

'Gave it up 2 or 3 years ago' Love it

I'm 41 years old but still about 6 years old in my head. Never leaves you!

Didsbury Dave said:
blueonblue said:
Sorry levets, no debate........your wrong, it was leader of our team ;0)

Again, it may have changed, but it's always been "Leader of Man City" since the 80s.

Also, the elongation of "that the wooooooooooorrrrrrrrllllllddddd" is fairly new and has largely killed the song.

It was always just the "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'llllllllll" that was elongated!

Again, you 111 kids are killing our historic chants.

Dead right Dave, I've said this before. This song has been completely fooked up by this holding of the "woooooooooorrlllllld" bit. It breaks down here every time as no-one knows when to finish the last line. Shame because this was the best away day song going. We were still at Maine Road though when this was wrecked. Time for a campaign!

Not sure if mentioned before but I remember this (may get pulled, but purely as a historical record)

Ay ay ay ay
Atkinson's / Ferguson's riddled with herpes
Martin Edwards has got aids
So has that t**t Matt Busby

Another old one...........

Wheres your father,wheres your father,wheres your father refferree?
You havn`t got one, you havn`t got one...........your a bastard refferree

Berti mee to Joe Harvee, have you heard of the north bank hghibury
No saye Jo, I dont think so
But Ive heard of the north stand, Maine road

The Colonel said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Again, it may have changed, but it's always been "Leader of Man City" since the 80s.

Also, the elongation of "that the wooooooooooorrrrrrrrllllllddddd" is fairly new and has largely killed the song.

It was always just the "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'llllllllll" that was elongated!

Again, you 111 kids are killing our historic chants.

Dead right Dave, I've said this before. This song has been completely fooked up by this holding of the "woooooooooorrlllllld" bit. It breaks down here every time as no-one knows when to finish the last line. Shame because this was the best away day song going. We were still at Maine Road though when this was wrecked. Time for a campaign!

Not sure if mentioned before but I remember this (may get pulled, but purely as a historical record)

Ay ay ay ay
Atkinson's / Ferguson's riddled with herpes
Martin Edwards has got aids
So has that t**t Matt Busby

I'm glad someone else thinks so!

I remember the Atkinson song.

What about this one, from the 90s:

Ryan Giggs Ryan Giggs takes it up the ring
Ryan Giggs Ryan Giigs he'll make your ringpiece sting
Put him in a taxi, he'll take it up the jacksi
It's a fix, don't like to feel those tits
It's a farce, he takes it up the ......(can you guess)

That one was obscure but was sung.

another early 80s one:

"You're worse than Leeds United" when teams played negatively.

strongbowholic said:
'Gave it up 2 or 3 years ago' Love it

I'm 41 years old but still about 6 years old in my head. Never leaves you!

Correct, it never does leave you, I don't go much anymore, to fuckin sanitised for me. Don't get me wrong I don't want to be going round cracking heads, or getting mine cracked as it happens, I just loved what it was then, I feel privileged to have stood on terraces in their heyday, fuckin loved it.
Getting specials to aways, hitching from knutsford on a Friday night, arriving in fuckin Bristol @ 6am and having all day to keep your wits about you, then jumping the special back.

If you got the same buzz then these were the best days of our lives.

Life's still good btw but some memories will never fade, most of them are circa 70s, early 80s and involve City.

That 'worse than Leeds United' one really takes me back too.

Coventry away (Highfield Road, possibly 1990) when we were kept behind. Stadium announcer tried cracking a few funnies to keep us quiet and we all started singing 'You're worse than Bernard Manning, you're worse than Bernard Manning.

Didsbury Dave said:
felixbg said:
either way you old bastards stopped singing it and the song has been lost pretty much ;). Gary your posts are always really interesting, i watched the dvd of the fa cup final vs leicester and all i could hear city singing all game was YNWA. was this common at the time? cheers

Yes it was. It started off the scouse way then speeded up for the second verse with claps, like this:

You'll nev (Clap clap) er walk (clap clap) alone (clap clap) walk on (clap clap)

Oh and you held your scarves in the air for the first verse. At Villa Park after Paul Power put us through to WEmbley, the whole side of the Holte End was a mass of Blue scarves to this song. I can still see it now.

my dad never shuts up about this game and the holte end that day (wasn't it split in 2, half city half ipswich?). Talking of ipswich, when we played them in the FA cup 2002 was the revival of the 'singing the blues' song, being relatively young i hadn't heard it before then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.