Three years of bad transfer dealings

mosssideblue said:
prestonibbo_mcfc said:
I'm sorry but why another thread slating the club, the players et al.
As soon as we lose (1 or 2 or ???) everything and everyone are shit.
Mody why can't we have a
I think MCFC are shit because.... thread and then everything can go in there.

You are absolutely correct but, you know this is Bluemoon dont you, sponsored by the samaritans

Yeah, i know, but i was quite upbeat until i came on here. It's me who needs the Samaritans now ;-)

cibaman said:
donkinho said:
@numberoneblue

Just look at the defensive record we had when Kompany/Nastasic played in tandem regularly - best defence in the league by a country mile - since that partnership was broken up we've started to ship goals all over the place !
Even if you think Mangala is more promising than Nastasic, which I disagree with, how can you justify spending £32m which, as many others have pointed out, could've bought Fabregas, Costa, Reus etc when all the time we had a perfectly good centre half at a fraction of the cost ( and wages !! ) ????
I hope that Mangala becomes the player that we all think he can be, but it won't alter my opinion that we've spent an awful lot of money that we didn't need to while not attending to the real areas that needed addressing.

I think there's a tendency for people to underestimate Barry's contribution to that defense. He provided cover for the weaker areas of the defense, the left backs, the left centre back, Silva not tracking back.

Since Barry left we've used players that play very centrally (Fernando, Yaya & Garcia) or mainly to the right (Fernandhino).

good shout. we miss barry more and more each game.

Negredo, Navas & Fernandinho played an absolutely huge part in us winning the title last season, giving us a different dimension in key areas. Demichelis was MILES better than Nastasic has ever been, even when he was struggling early on, Nastasic was still struggling more & doing a Keystone Cops impression.

Even Garcia did his bit later on. For some reason Negredo had to leave & it ruined his 2nd half of the season, otherwise we would probably have won the league with games to spare. Now we have Bony, with a bit of luck, we may have replaced Negredo, & Navas may have someone to aim at again & to pull defenders away from blocking everything.

We can't sign superstars every season with Platni breathing down our necks & we are the Champions & we did it with Aguero missing large chunks of the season. We have a very good chance of being so again, irrespective of the result next weekend.

Amazing how that's not enough for some to give the club a bit of credit for getting it right.

mosssideblue said:
donkinho said:
@numberoneblue

Just look at the defensive record we had when Kompany/Nastasic played in tandem regularly - best defence in the league by a country mile - since that partnership was broken up we've started to ship goals all over the place !
Even if you think Mangala is more promising than Nastasic, which I disagree with, how can you justify spending £32m which, as many others have pointed out, could've bought Fabregas, Costa, Reus etc when all the time we had a perfectly good centre half at a fraction of the cost ( and wages !! ) ????
I hope that Mangala becomes the player that we all think he can be, but it won't alter my opinion that we've spent an awful lot of money that we didn't need to while not attending to the real areas that needed addressing.

Sorry mate and not having a pop.

Most on here recognised we were desperate for a CH
Could have got Fabregas, Costa or Reus for similar money, are you sure on that inc salaries?
And most as usual were wrong! Why exactly did we need a CH? Is it because we didn't have 2 good starting CHs?( Komps and MDM) No! Is it because we didn't have an up and coming young CH? (Nastacic), No! is it because we didn't have a beffy of future starters? (Rekkik, Denayer, Boyata), No? And even in the case of multiple injury, is it beacause we couldn't find talented cover? Sagna, No! In short, once Sagna signed on as a free agent our CH need, pretty much was nonexistent.

The basis for why we needed a CH was predicated on how shaky our defense was at the beginning of last season. An analysis that had become mute by the end of the season, when the defense showed bite, and the CHs were top of their game. I can't how often I have pointed this out.

So, no, we did not have a CH need. We had a CH want. We failed to finish business in January with Porto, but rather than reanalyze get our situation, we simply tried to complete what was unfinished. It's a natural human instinct, but in this case it led to poor decisions.

Dax777 said:
mosssideblue said:
donkinho said:
@numberoneblue

Sorry mate and not having a pop.

Most on here recognised we were desperate for a CH
Could have got Fabregas, Costa or Reus for similar money, are you sure on that inc salaries?
And most as usual were wrong! Why exactly did we need a CH? Is it because we didn't have 2 good starting CHs?( Komps and MDM) No! Is it because we didn't have an up and coming young CH? (Nastacic), No! is it because we didn't have a beffy of future starters? (Rekkik, Denayer, Boyata), No? And even in the case of multiple injury, is it beacause we couldn't find talented cover? Sagna, No! In short, once Sagna signed on as a free agent our CH need, pretty much was nonexistent.

The basis for why we needed a CH was predicated on how shaky our defense was at the beginning of last season. An analysis that had become mute by the end of the season, when the defense showed bite, and the CHs were top of their game. I can't how often I have pointed this out.

So, no, we did not have a CH need. We had a CH want. We failed to finish business in January with Porto, but rather than reanalyze get our situation, we simply tried to complete what was unfinished. It's a natural human instinct, but in this case it led to poor decisions.

Good analysis but we shall see what becomes of Mangala over the next season or two.

Short term it makes little sense to bring in Mangala when we did as our need for pace and width in midfield was a bigger short term requirement and as we can see its biting us where it hurts now.

Whether Nasty caught MP under the covers who knows but he was never going to figure in his plans along with a few others.

Perhaps we thought Navas would improve further , Sinclair would all of a sudden become a force preytell who knows but which ever way you look at it FFP or not we stuffed up somewhat and the pain will only be removed in Mangala is CB for us in 5 years time with a Chumps Medal and a couple of titles around his neck.

Neville Kneville said:
Negredo, Navas & Fernandinho played an absolutely huge part in us winning the title last season, giving us a different dimension in key areas. Demichelis was MILES better than Nastasic has ever been, even when he was struggling early on, Nastasic was still struggling more & doing a Keystone Cops impression.

Even Garcia did his bit later on. For some reason Negredo had to leave & it ruined his 2nd half of the season, otherwise we would probably have won the league with games to spare. Now we have Bony, with a bit of luck, we may have replaced Negredo, & Navas may have someone to aim at again & to pull defenders away from blocking everything.

We can't sign superstars every season with Platni breathing down our necks & we are the Champions & we did it with Aguero missing large chunks of the season. We have a very good chance of being so again, irrespective of the result next weekend.

Amazing how that's not enough for some to give the club a bit of credit for getting it right.
I guess this thread title is a little hyperbolic: yes we haven't recruited an absolute stud since the 2011 season, but it's unfair to say we have been terrible over 3 signing windows. Last year was a fantastic window. We brought in 5 players and 4 participated significantly in our eventual victory. And the last one was slowed by injury. So sure it was a good summer, but this summer looks a lot like the summer after the first title. A beffy of unneeded players who at best are backup material.

However, that said it doesn't

mosssideblue said:
A lot of words there mate. So with the finances avail (inc wage caps) WHO would you have bought?
in fairness, I can better tell you who I wouldn't have bought. I definitely would Not have bought Mangala, Fernando or Caballero. They are all very good players, but weren't going to make the difference BECAUSE none would have improved the staring 11 this season. History should have been our guide. When we improved our staring 11 in 2011 (Aguero) we won the league. We improved the squad in 2012 and won nothing. We went back an improved the 11 with 3 starters in 2013 ( Dihno, MDM, Negredo) we won the league again. Now we have reverted back to 2012 again, improving the squad ;(

My targets would have been Sanchez and Fabregas. I said as much in the summer. Both play in the 2 areas of greatest need. CM and Attacking LM. In one position we were going to be down to 2 players Yaya and Dihno so this was a must need. The fact that we eventually purchased 2 players in that position (Fernando and Lampard) supports my claim that it was the position of most need.

Sanchez on the other hand is not a position buy, he is an option 2 buy. He is the guy you give the ball too when your practiced plan simply isn't working. Sure you start him on the left, but it's not about the position, it's the difference his dribbling/speed/technique brings.

Oh, not to mention Fabregas was homegrown. I mean talk about a no brainer :(

Dax777 said:
mosssideblue said:
A lot of words there mate. So with the finances avail (inc wage caps) WHO would you have bought?
in fairness, I can better tell you who I wouldn't have bought. I definitely would Not have bought Mangala, Fernando or Caballero. They are all very good players, but weren't going to make the difference BECAUSE none would have improved the staring 11 this season. History should have been our guide. When we improved our staring 11 in 2011 (Aguero) we won the league. We improved the squad in 2012 and won nothing. We went back an improved the 11 with 3 starters in 2013 ( Dihno, MDM, Negredo) we won the league again. Now we have reverted back to 2012 again, improving the squad ;(

My targets would have been Sanchez and Fabregas. I said as much in the summer. Both play in the 2 areas of greatest need. CM and Attacking LM. In one position we were going to be down to 2 players Yaya and Dihno so this was a must need. The fact that we eventually purchased 2 players in that position (Fernando and Lampard) supports my claim that it was the position of most need.

Sanchez on the other hand is not a position buy, he is an option 2 buy. He is the guy you give the ball too when your practiced plan simply isn't working. Sure you start him on the left, but it's not about the position, it's the difference his dribbling/speed/technique brings.

I think Fabregas's misses wanted London and he would have chosen Arsenal so it was going to be difficult to get him.

I know it might sound trite but some professional footballers follow she who must be obeyed.

Ronaldo on the other hand would go where he wanted to and the misses would have to fall into line otherwise on the flip side.

I think we our resources and buying power we could have made Sanchez our number one summer target and in hindsight should have but so be it.

Maybe Nasri , Jovetic and Silva were seen as enough to go round again but as Chelsea have Oscar , Willen, Fabregas and Hazard someone like Sanchez would have done nicely for us and for the medium term as well.

To be fair Lampard was always going to be a stop gap arrangement for many obvious reasons.

mancity1 said:
Dax777 said:
mosssideblue said:

I think Fabregas's misses wanted London and he would have chosen Arsenal so it was going to be difficult to get him.

I know it might sound trite but some professional footballers follow she who must be obeyed.

Ronaldo on the other hand would go where he wanted to and the misses would have to fall into line otherwise on the flip side.

I think we our resources and buying power we could have made Sanchez our number one summer target and in hindsight should have but so be it.

Maybe Nasri , Jovetic and Silva were seen as enough to go round again but as Chelsea have Oscar , Willen, Fabregas and Hazard someone like Sanchez would have done nicely for us and for the medium term as well.

To be fair Lampard was always going to be a stop gap arrangement for many obvious reasons.
in fairness, I didnt think we'd get Fabregas either. But he should have been the initial chase, and Sanchez should have been #2 buty. We would have failed to get one, and definitely gotten the other.

We've known for a while that when 2 of Yaya, Silva and Nasri are not available we stagnate often. Adding Sanchez would have altered that tendency. Especially in light of the fact we were certain Yaya would be out a month. Add guesstimates of niggles between Silva, Nasri and definitely to Jovetic, and the Sanchez need would have been obvious.

But to be fair, I wanted Sanchez brought in and Jovetic sold. We already have 2 star crocks in Kompany and Aguero. We simply shouldn't be carrying so many injury prone players. Jovetic just like Micah should have been moved.

My thought is that if your squad has already won a league title, then what you ought to do in the transfer window is keep it together and sign one or two world class players to improve the starting 11. Your targets should have been players like Alexis Sanchez (I'm sure you could have beaten Arsenal to him), Cesc Fabregas (more doubtful), or Antoine Griezmann (who I think you could have got). If you had gotten Sanchez and Griezmann it would have taken your team to another level imo. Not so sure I see Bony having that kind of effect, though I think he will be a good partner for Aguero.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.