Time added on

The average ball in play time last season was 54’ 30”. I wouldn’t want 18 minutes injury time each half and then another 6 mins extra IJ due to the ball out of play in injury time and then another 2 mins extra extra IJ. Each half would last 71 minutes, a match kicking off at 3 would finish just before 6pm.

I’m not a fan of these lengthy injury times that have come into the game myself. Players are using it to add game breaks into the match and the refs are giving fewer cards for time wasting. There’s a clue in the term “injury time” telling us what the time added on is in lieu of.

Don’t think anybody is suggesting there should be 90 minutes of actual playing time.

It was discussed at last years IFAB annual general meeting and dismissed in favour of being more vigilant with added on time.

The consensus amongst those in favour seemed to be that 60 minutes playing time would be about right.

I’m assuming it’s not on the agenda again at this years meeting, currently being held in Scotland. But the main argument against it seems to be that it would turn into American Football, with adverts and time outs at every stop in play.

I personally don’t see why it would be a given it would go down that road. Even the TV companies should see that a shortsighted opportunity to slip a few adverts in during play, would be detrimental to the game and therefore their product in the long run.

Recent events in Nottingham prompted me to revisit the question of how much time Liverpool get added on. The answer is that over 17 matches since the beginning of November* a total of 146 additional minutes has been played at an average of 8.6 minutes per game.

When they are winning, that average decreases to 7.4 minutes each game.

When they are losing or drawing a game after 90 minutes, the average amount of additional time played is 9 minutes.

By contrast, when we are winning an average of 7.36 minutes is added, which is not a million miles from Liverpool, but when we need a goal we get (on average) 6.25 minutes to their 9.

Different people will draw different conclusions. There might be all sorts of reasons why that happens, but the figures do appear to indicate a trend.

* Games reviewed:

(date/opponents/score at 90 minutes/additional time played)

2/3/24 Forest (a) 0 - 0 (11 minutes)

21/2/24 Luton (h) 3 – 1 (9 minutes)

17/2/24 Brentford (a) 1 – 4 (8 minutes)

10/2/24 Burnley (h) 3 – 1 (9 minutes)

4/2/24 Arsenal (a) 2 – 1 (8 minutes)

31/1/24 Chelsea (h) 4 – 1 (6 minutes)

1/1/24 Newcastle (h) 4 – 2 (8 minutes)

26/12/23 Burnley (a) 0 – 1 (6 minutes)

23/12/23 Arsenal (h) 1 – 1 (6 minutes)

20/12/23 West Ham (h) 5 – 1 (5 minutes)

17/12/23 Man U (h) 0 – 0 (6 minutes)

9/12/23 Palace (a) 1 – 1 (13 minutes)

6/12/23 Sheff U (a) 0 – 1 (8 minutes)

3/12/23 Fulham (h) 4 – 3 (8 minutes)

25/11/23 City (a) 1 – 1 (9 minutes)

12/11/23 Brentford (h) 3 – 0 (7 minutes)

5/11/23 Luton (a) 1 – 0 (10 minutes)
Send this info to every media outlet you can reach, including our media folks.

I don't care how difficult it is ( With modern technology surely it can't be that difficult? ) but there needs to be two separate timekeepers for each team.

Why should a team time wasting all game concede late on and then get 9 minutes of time THEY'VE wasted to try and equalise?

Valencia v Real Madrid, much as I dislike Real Madrid I’d be really mad if that happened to us. No doubt the referee is correct according to the letter of law but so wrong according to the spirit of the game.

It did happen to us, Derby County away in the late 70s. I'm still annoyed!

I don't care how difficult it is ( With modern technology surely it can't be that difficult? ) but there needs to be two separate timekeepers for each team.

Why should a team time wasting all game concede late on and then get 9 minutes of time THEY'VE wasted to try and equalise?
Because the premise behind time added on is to make up for time lost so that the ball is in play for the same amount of time in all games.
There are other rules that exist around wasted time.
We are currently behind on goal difference, we may well benefit from the time our opposition has wasted being added on?

During the "Recent events in Nottingham"
3 of the 11 minutes were added because and after Liverpool scored.

Because the premise behind time added on is to make up for time lost so that the ball is in play for the same amount of time in all games.
There are other rules that exist around wasted time.
We are currently behind on goal difference, we may well benefit from the time our opposition has wasted being added on?

It's a waste of time ( No pun intended.) Nobody gives a fuck about watching 100 minutes because they've added 10 minutes on. The players are knackered and either one team is hanging on or another is going for a winner. If it's one team winning comfortably, as in our game at Luton, it's pointless. I think that's why the ref blew up bang on.

Fans are going to catch transport and get home, get in the pub etcetera. They'll only stay if the game is in the balance and even then loads leave.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.