Time added on

Just another non-transparent element in which to 'potentially' influence games.
A big clock would work for me.

Recent events in Nottingham prompted me to revisit the question of how much time Liverpool get added on. The answer is that over 17 matches since the beginning of November* a total of 146 additional minutes has been played at an average of 8.6 minutes per game.

When they are winning, that average decreases to 7.4 minutes each game.

When they are losing or drawing a game after 90 minutes, the average amount of additional time played is 9 minutes.

By contrast, when we are winning an average of 7.36 minutes is added, which is not a million miles from Liverpool, but when we need a goal we get (on average) 6.25 minutes to their 9.

Different people will draw different conclusions. There might be all sorts of reasons why that happens, but the figures do appear to indicate a trend.

* Games reviewed:

(date/opponents/score at 90 minutes/additional time played)

2/3/24 Forest (a) 0 - 0 (11 minutes)

21/2/24 Luton (h) 3 – 1 (9 minutes)

17/2/24 Brentford (a) 1 – 4 (8 minutes)

10/2/24 Burnley (h) 3 – 1 (9 minutes)

4/2/24 Arsenal (a) 2 – 1 (8 minutes)

31/1/24 Chelsea (h) 4 – 1 (6 minutes)

1/1/24 Newcastle (h) 4 – 2 (8 minutes)

26/12/23 Burnley (a) 0 – 1 (6 minutes)

23/12/23 Arsenal (h) 1 – 1 (6 minutes)

20/12/23 West Ham (h) 5 – 1 (5 minutes)

17/12/23 Man U (h) 0 – 0 (6 minutes)

9/12/23 Palace (a) 1 – 1 (13 minutes)

6/12/23 Sheff U (a) 0 – 1 (8 minutes)

3/12/23 Fulham (h) 4 – 3 (8 minutes)

25/11/23 City (a) 1 – 1 (9 minutes)

12/11/23 Brentford (h) 3 – 0 (7 minutes)

5/11/23 Luton (a) 1 – 0 (10 minutes)
13 minutes at Palace at 1-1 ffs

It's not a theory the Luton game is fact, the ref blew up almost on 90 minutes. Are there different rules in the fa cup?

As for using extra minutes to improve goal difference I rarely see us do that. We have usually been passing the ball around conserving energy once we have the game won.
You said nobody wants to see 10 minutes added on when a team is comfortably winning yet I included an example where we were winning 2-0 and 10 minutes was added on!

You said nobody wants to see 10 minutes added on when a team is comfortably winning yet I included an example where we were winning 2-0 and 10 minutes was added on!

I said nobody wants to see it not that it never happened.

One of the things I've never understood is, of all the ideas football has tried to borrow from other sports, just allow the physio on whilst the game is still being played. Just play around them like they do in rugby. Immediately stops the time wasting of players pretending to be injured.

It wasn't a cup thing as to whether additional time is added on. I switched over to the Blackburn/Newcastle game after ours and they played additional time. It just begs the question that if we'd have been drawing against Luton after 90 mins would some additional time have mysteriously appeared?

No because a clock is visible to all showing ball in play 30 mins

There as numerous simple improvements that could be made to show transparency which are not taken up makes me wonder why
Yea that’s a good idea like rugby where you can actually see the clock stopped

It wasn't a cup thing as to whether additional time is added on. I switched over to the Blackburn/Newcastle game after ours and they played additional time. It just begs the question that if we'd have been drawing against Luton after 90 mins would some additional time have mysteriously appeared?
I think you've answered your own question there which is yes! Blackburn/Newcastle finished 1-1 so a different result was clearly possible, we were 6-2 so a different result clearly wasn't possible.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.