Time for a wage cap?

I’m not convinced by Stockwood’s argument. He misses the elephant in the room.….if he wants to curb agents fees, make it a rule that the player pays the fee, not the club.
This is a good idea. That’s how it works for book authors, for example (typically 15% of royalties). Although the money involved there is peanuts for most writers, especially compared to football.

Another idea which would give the football authorities carte blanche to introduce more and more barmy regulations so that the football would be irrelevant and all major issues - titles, relegation, promotion - could be decided by accountants and independent commissions. Standardisation of this over that in such and such country are phrases that make fans sick.

Too far gone now. It'll just encourage shenanigans in how to get them the money some other way. Mind you, we've been doing that for years now ......

A global cap would be necessary but it’s only half the solution. You’d also need to have a collective bargaining agreement like those in US sports and that would more than likely include a number of provisions that PL club ownership wouldn’t be too happy about like minimum salaries. Additionally you’d need a strong union which could get players to strike if necessary.
You’d be turning over 60 years (since the abolition of maximum wage) of history on its head and I’m not sure either side is ready for that in the foreseeable future.

Totally unnecessary. Should we cap pop star's earnings or anyone else's ? Long as they pay the tax I don't have an issue . Rather it go to a player who is taxed than a tax haven or the USA as profit.

If you’re a star player in an industry that’s turning over north of six billion a year then they should be paid accordingly

I never hear people like him or obnoxious Simon Jordan talking about self-regulating in paying out salaries. Just offer the salary you are able to afford for a player, otherwise off you go to Hackney Marshes and pick someone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.