Time To Back The Manager...

Didsbury Dave said:
It's a very interesting debate, Billy, and one we were just touching on in the "WEll done Bobby" thread. Do you think his demeanour over the last few weeks is partly down to the board refusing to sign the player(s) like DE Rossi who he obviously wants?

In a nutshell, yes. Having watched his press conferences and pre and post match interviews in recent weeks it's clear he's frustrated. For me it's not really down to the officiating, but down to him having to put out teams he doesn't fully trust due to a lack of players. I mean lets face it, if Neds is getting on the field, if we've got a 20 year old "one of for the future" centre half playing against Liverpool in a cup semi and against Spurs in a huge league match, then the squad depth is certainly an issue.

What I like about Mancini is that winning comes before everything else for him. Whilst other managers might be more sanguine in his situation, he couldn't care less about outward appearances. He wants to win everything, and he clearly feels he's a few players short.

hgblue said:
BillyShears said:
Jordie said:
Top players are playing in the champs league and will not leave in January.

To be honest, Mancini knows who he wants and clearly he knows those players are available otherwise he wouldn't have spent the last few weeks making such a song and dance about wanting to sign players but not being given the funds.

Mancini certainly seems to be frustrated alright, which would suggest he has targets in mind and is being told we have to sell before we can buy. I can't work out whether this is a sign that the club are genuinely starting to take FFPR seriously, or whether we want to appear as though we are. Either way, Mancini has a squad that most managers would sell their mothers for (Carrick was playing CH the other day I think), so he needs to focus on what he has got and not what he hasn't imo. No Yaya, no Kompany, no Richards, no Balotelli and still 3 points were bagged relatively comfortably...

that's a really interesting discussion to have. My gut feel, and I've no basis for this beyond gut feel, is that the board just want to manage the club on a sensible basis, after the money wasted by Hughes. I don't think FFPR frightens them greatly but they have to show willing. I think every manage out there wants the board to spend spend spend, and every board wants the manager to use his resources wisely. There's nothing new there.

Song for Sunday:

He waves what he wants, he waves what he waaaaaaaaaants, Roberto Mancini, he waves what he wants.

hgblue said:
BillyShears said:
Jordie said:
Top players are playing in the champs league and will not leave in January.

To be honest, Mancini knows who he wants and clearly he knows those players are available otherwise he wouldn't have spent the last few weeks making such a song and dance about wanting to sign players but not being given the funds.

Mancini certainly seems to be frustrated alright, which would suggest he has targets in mind and is being told we have to sell before we can buy. I can't work out whether this is a sign that the club are genuinely starting to take FFPR seriously, or whether we want to appear as though we are. Either way, Mancini has a squad that most managers would sell their mothers for (Carrick was playing CH the other day I think), so he needs to focus on what he has got and not what he hasn't imo. No Yaya, no Kompany, no Richards, no Balotelli and still 3 points were bagged relatively comfortably...

Why would his frustration suggest that? Why can't it just be that a few results have not gone our way recently, that a few decisions have gone against us or that we are in the middle of a very difficult challenging month? We have still got a squad of players that is the best in the Premier League. We should be more than capable of handling 4 or 5 games without a few players even if they are arguably our most influential. The positions are after all being covered by full internationals.

IMO the board are trying to project an (artificial) image of tight financial constraints, eg we need to sell Tevez before we get DDR" which is frustrating Mancini.

Mancini is trying to pursuade the board we need new investment now, however IMO Mancini's clear lack of belief is destroying the confidence of some of our players.

Timmmmahhhh said:
m35 blue68 said:
Samba - use to EPL, local, dominent, close to Mario.

Nick Barmby is also used to the Premier League.

Harry Kewell could fit back in, he has the experience.

Oh, and Samba isn't good enough.

Those experience shoulders would be an asset and besides he's really carving up the A-League... oh wait.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.