Time to **** off the Europa League

Josh Blue said:
The reason the Europa is looked down on in England is....... because Sky don't have the rights......Think about it.
SPOT ON!

danburge82 said:
Josh Blue said:
The reason the Europa is looked down on in England is....... because Sky don't have the rights......Think about it.
SPOT ON!

I wouldn't be even so sure about that lads.

When you see old timers like Redknapp and Ferguson playing weakened teams in the competition and not taking it too seriously in general, then I think the reasons for the disdain of the Europa League runs a little deeper than Sky.

It's quite possible that it will be easier to win the premier league.

After all we only have to beat United. Whereas there are quite a few teams still left in the EL who are better than the rags. i.e. Bilbao. Atletico de Madrid are on great form at the moment too and that is just Spain. These teams take this competition very seriously. Bilbao rested players in the La Liga and lost to Osasuna at the weekend.

Probably as they know they can never win La Liga they prioritise other cups.

There's any number of reasons why the attitude expressed by the OP is completely wrong in the context of what we're trying to achieve over the next few seasons. Saying sack the EL off in favour of the PL misses the key point.

1) While I'd love it if we won the PL, apart from the fact we've won it there's actually no great monetary or other value between winning it and coming second.

2) Barring a complete disaster, we'll be in the CL group stages again next season which is where the big money is. At this stage it's more important to secure that qualification and revenue stream.

3) There is no guarantee that going out of the EL would help us win the PL. After tomorrow there's only a maximum of 5 more EL games to play. We could be in the FA Cup and still end up playing 5 games.

4) We've won just one trophy in the last and it's been 42 years since we won our sole European trophy. I'd like more trophies & I'm amazed Blues can be so sniffy about what is still a major European trophy.

5) We get UEFA co-efficient points for the EL, in the same way as we'd get them for the CL. Getting to the final may get us into Pot 2 of next season's CL draw, which could be the difference between getting to the knock-out stages and dropping into the EL as we did this season.

6) I'd expect us, from next season, to be regularly challenging for the PL, the CL and the FA Cup so the EL this season is good practice for that.

7) We keep saying the rags are weaker than they've been but they're currently a point ahead of us in the league. They're in that position because they play every game in every competition to win. There's no way Baconface will be sending them out tomorrow with an attitude of "Fuck this lads, just take it easy so we can go out and concentrate on the league". Winning is winning and breeds a mentality of playing through the tiredness, pain & other difficulties because a win now is more important than being tired tomorrow.

Once you start thinking that this game or that competition is unimportant then you start to lose that. I've not seen that winning mentality in the City team yet and the EL will be a test of whether it's there or not.

Does anyone have the dates planned for the Europa League quarter finals?

Just interested to see if it's possible that City could have a distraction a couple of days before they play Arsenal at the Emirates.

The dates for the next round of EL are 29th Mar and 5th April (3 days before Arsenal away).
The EL is putting extra strain on the squad but I want to do well in both. Going out of the EL would leave all our eggs in one basket.
The team is not playing well (for whatever reasons you choose). We have a chance to sort that out on Thursday in readiness for the Chelsea game.
I watched the Swansea game (from the pub) and after that disappointment went straight home and bought ticket for Thursday. We need decent atmosphere against Lisbon, we need to get these players going again.
The bandwagon has slowed in the last few weeks (wheels not fallen off just yet !!). Lets give it a push on Thursday.

Toss it off.

It has cost us twice before, participation, in relation to actually achieving our true league position.

Is it correct thinking that going through would also mean we would play after United in the league for pretty much the remainder?

Also, that a Europa League semi-final would take place just days before the derby?

Too much of a hindrance to accept.

It's not as if winning it will come with any sort of recognition or acclaim, just a wooden spoon to beat us over the head with.

My outlook would possibly be slightly different if there were not another six games to actually win it.

Play the reserves unless we get lucky and chance into the final.

If any old trophy was so important we shouldn't have rested players in the other trophies.

The Europa League could cost us the title. Worst case scenario is United going out and us staying in - which seems the most likely outcome. It would be some comfort for winning the league if we did end up winning it, but not a risk worth taking. The return isn't big enough. Not winning the league and winning Europa would still be a failed season.

Just out of curiosity, since we know the players registered for the tournament, who would you two start with then... ?

I have to disagree with not fielding a full strength side.
We have lost momentum, I see this as an opportunity to regain it.
Play a full side, spank them restore confidence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.