Time to **** off the Europa League

grass_allergy said:
After we were knocked out of the Europa last season, didn't we win every game barring the Liverpool one before the FA Cup semi final? As magnificent as the FA Cup win was, I think concentrating on cup competitions as we clearly were at Anfield that night goes to show that it does affect the league form.
We went from a Europa League run and battling for 4th to only missing out on 2nd because of goal difference after Kiev knocked us out.
I cannot believe the people who cannot see the correlation between league form and the Europa League.
Have people seen the distances that these players run during matches? Up to 10km maybe? As much as they're paid they are only human and they WILL tire and it WILL affect the league form.

This is nonsense, how did teams in the 60's and 70's cope with tiredness and fatigue when they were going for league and European cup doubles?! When they know even less than half the stuff we do now about fatigue and injuries etc. They didn't moan about it they just got on with it, there's too many easy excuses nowadays in football.

If City progress, the Europa will be a serious hindrance to them with their fixtures coming up in the PL. especially if Mancini continues to pick key players. As a United fan I'm personally delighted that we are on the verge of exiting the competition. It's the Carling Cup of European competition. It'd be nice to win but only as long as it's not a distraction, which it clearly is when you're vying for a domestic league title with fierce competition.

Definitely not.

We absolutely have to beat Sporting. I think we can use a good victory to help give us a little lift.

Winning is a habit. And so is losing.

Remember when Villa played a second team against CSKA Moskow and were knocked out? Their league form completely tanked after this.

Something similar happened to Bolton as well.

Playing regular football will help too,the idea of United having an advantage should they go out, playing only once every 7 days isn't really an advantage,they will lose that competitive edge,the Europa will help us maintain ours should we stay in it.

Red_fan said:
As a United fan I'm personally delighted that we are on the verge of exiting the competition. It's the Carling Cup of European competition.

Expect no less from a red than this attitude. In pretty much every country except England the UEFA Cup/Europa League is a well respected competition and that is probably why English teams don't win it, because the ones good enough don't take it seriously enough (ie. Spurs).

I love the Europa League and am glad we went in it after exiting the Champions League as it is more games to watch/attend and City vs. Porto was an excellent game to watch live and in person, better quality opposition than most that have come to our stadium despite the 4-0 scoreline (many of the goals came when Porto had given up but it was a competitive match for 70 minutes).

This reminds me of last season, when people get asking pointless questions about whether we would prefer to win the cup or qualify for the Champions League. Both was the answer and both is the answer now.

Josh Blue said:
The reason the Europa is looked down on in England is....... because Sky don't have the rights......Think about it.

Pretty much.

The Sky hype machine and the xenophobic, cretinous British press would soon have every other bell end on the street believing it was the greatest competition of all time.

Mind you, the rags winning it would have exactly the same effect.

LoveCity said:
Expect no less from a red than this attitude. In pretty much every country except England the UEFA Cup/Europa League is a well respected competition and that is probably why English teams don't win it, because the ones good enough don't take it seriously enough (ie. Spurs).

I love the Europa League and am glad we went in it after exiting the Champions League as it is more games to watch/attend and City vs. Porto was an excellent game to watch live and in person, better quality opposition than most that have come to our stadium despite the 4-0 scoreline (many of the goals came when Porto had given up but it was a competitive match for 70 minutes).

The Europa League is a fantastic competition, and I would love to see United win it. Same with the Carling Cup.

However, the Premier League is far more important to us, especially this season with City in the mix. And sometimes, you just have to make sacrifices especially when the league is so tight. Weighing it all up, IMO, remaining in the EL could easily be the difference between us finishing second and winning the league. Another season, if we were 5 points clear at this stage, I'd be more inclined to give it a crack. But not now, it's just too risky in my eyes.

And to the posters above, I don't watch Sky all that much to be perfectly frank with you. I prefer to form my own opinions on competitions, teams, players etc. than listen to what Sky trot out most of the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.