Time to **** off the Europa League

Didsbury Dave said:
Play the reserves unless we get lucky and chance into the final.

If any old trophy was so important we shouldn't have rested players in the other trophies.

The Europa League could cost us the title. Worst case scenario is United going out and us staying in - which seems the most likely outcome. It would be some comfort for winning the league if we did end up winning it, but not a risk worth taking. The return isn't big enough. Not winning the league and winning Europa would still be a failed season.

We may disagree on a few things this week, mate, but absolutely this.

For those then saying we would then be putting all our eggs into one basket...it's the only fucking basket that counts.

It didn't have to be like this. We were in a Carling Cup semi-final, with a Championship side to face in the final, and Mancini tossed it off.

As he did in the FA Cup when he decided to drop Hart and Clichy when United were at their absolute lowest, having been dumped out by Basel and lost to Blackburn.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Toss it off.

It has cost us twice before, participation, in relation to actually achieving our true league position.

Is it correct thinking that going through would also mean we would play after United in the league for pretty much the remainder?

Also, that a Europa League semi-final would take place just days before the derby?

Too much of a hindrance to accept.

It's not as if winning it will come with any sort of recognition or acclaim, just a wooden spoon to beat us over the head with.

My outlook would possibly be slightly different if there were not another six games to actually win it.

Well we will know Manure's fate in EL before we take to the pitch on Thursday so it will be interesting to see how we attack weaker opposition in terms of talent and skill etc.

We have had a decent run in the main this season with injuries and if managed properly I see know reason why we cannot make our best assault on winning both competitions without compromising either.

Those complaining about Kompany being injured in Portugal for example assuming it wouldn't have happened in the first nine minutes in his next training session or against Swansea are drawing a long bow.

Manure and others have been doing it for years often with a run in the LC and the FA Cup that goes well beyond what we managed this season.

Next season we will be in four competitions again and with a mentality that says lets not concern ourselves with everything not 3 point related in the premiership will ensure we compete in the EL so called micky mouse competition again next season.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Didsbury Dave said:

If any old trophy was so important we shouldn't have rested players in the other trophies.

The Europa League could cost us the title. Worst case scenario is United going out and us staying in - which seems the most likely outcome. It would be some comfort for winning the league if we did end up winning it, but not a risk worth taking. The return isn't big enough. Not winning the league and winning Europa would still be a failed season.

For those then saying we would then be putting all our eggs into one basket...it's the only fucking basket that counts.

It didn't have to be like this. We were in a Carling Cup semi-final, with a Championship side to face in the final, and Mancini tossed it off.

As he did in the FA Cup when he decided to drop Hart and Clichy when United were at their absolute lowest, having been dumped out by Basel and lost to Blackburn.

Couldnt agree more, Tolm. The selections for those trophies anger me when I see things like Vinny limping off, or hear talk of tiredness. They crossed my mind when I saw Savic and Kolo at centre half at Swansea.

The "eggs in one basket" crap is just that - crap. Every egg we remove from the big basket is an extra egg in Fergie's omelette.

Not my greatest metaphor but it'll do.

Looks like Roberto doesn't think fucking off the Europa is a good idea:

We will play the strongest team available against Sporting because we want to progress to the next stage, but it won’t be easy.

Didsbury Dave said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Couldnt agree more, Tolm. The selections for those trophies anger me when I see things like Vinny limping off, or hear talk of tiredness. They crossed my mind when I saw Savic and Kolo at centre half at Swansea.

The "eggs in one basket" crap is just that - crap. Every egg we remove from the big basket is an extra egg in Fergie's omelette.

Ferguson can afford to pick and choose his battles.

Not long ago, we put great emphasis on winning the Europa League.

It cost us in two league campaigns, IMO, cost us a genuine title challenge last season.

Mancini admitted it himself, going into the draw away at Birmingham, that we could still have a say in the title race.

Nobody has even referenced that the Europa League is probably harder to win this year than ever, due to the teams left.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Ferguson can afford to pick and choose his battles.

Not long ago, we put great emphasis on winning the Europa League.

It cost us in two league campaigns, IMO, cost us a genuine title challenge last season.

Mancini admitted it himself, going into the draw away at Birmingham, that we could still have a say in the title race.

Nobody has even referenced that the Europa League is probably harder to win this year than ever, due to the teams left.

Typical of you cabal'ites to ignore the difficult questions ... ;)

What team would you pick for Thursday bearing in mind we do actually have to turn up and field a team ?

BillyShears said:
Looks like Roberto doesn't think fucking off the Europa is a good idea:

We will play the strongest team available against Sporting because we want to progress to the next stage, but it won’t be easy.

I'll come straight out with it, just my opinion, not worth a fart, before any abuse, but I genuinely do think he's putting his personal situation ahead of the team/club.

He knows he needs something to fall back on this season, to show something tangible, and is now playing percentages in terms of what might happen in the league.

Didsbury Dave said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Didsbury Dave said:

It might not be your greatest but it made me laugh!

I disagree with what you are saying though.

We have a big enough squad to progress in this playing a mixture of players.

I wouldnt class any of our squad as reserves,they are all internationals.

Mancini cocked up last week not by playing Kompany but by bringing on Lescott for him.S urely any manager with a brain would think my number one defender is injured, the last thing I want is for my number 2 to get injured. Savic should have come on.

I do agree that he fucked up in the CC though with a championship side waiting.

We could easily exit this and still win nothing and that would be a major disappointment after the season we have had. If that happens, In a few years time neutrals will look back and think Liverpool had a better season than us!

In his early years Taggert survived by winning cups. Fa and Cup Winners.

I was happy as a pig in shit last year when we won the cup and I would be again if we win the Europa which with the sides in it is much better than the FA Cup in my opinion.

I'd love to see us win the Europa, and would hate for us not to try and win any game or any trophy we can.

Haha, Tolm strides boldly where angels fear to tread.

Billy, to answer your question, I'd have played the reserves last week and play them on Thursday - even though we have no game until Weds.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.