Time wasting.

I honestly think if refs enforced the six second rule on keepers straight away that would send a message to the time waisting team. Also introduce a time limit on the time the ball has to be back in play at goal kicks and corners. A bit like tennis where they have a time limit from the end of a point to a serve. If say the throw time goes over the other team get the throw in.

I've often thought one of the best rules in rugby league is having an independent time keeper. Stopping the clock seems a far better way of ensuring fans see more game time. To run down time has become - as Real showed - a dark art and perhaps this would stop that. Also the time some subs take to get off the pitch is open to interpretation - we've had games with five subs in the 2nd half and only 2 mins extra added. Surely the refs have enough on their plate without dealing with time wasting...

I generally feel like it's part of the game now, and we've put it to use ourselves in key moments of the season (and I wish we'd done a better job of it in the CL semi final).

That said, I totally agree an early warning followed by a booking would sort this out. My main pet peeve is the goalkeeper inspecting the ball, spending 10 seconds placing it, having the defenders come short, sending them long, replacing the ball, taking 10 seconds to do a run up, and then kicking it out of play is just about the most boring thing to watch in football. I am level with the keeper in the standing area, so it's the main thing I see for the first half of every game.

There was a proposal in front of the IFAB maybe four or five years ago where they were considering trialling a stop clock. I think they were toying with either 30 or 35 minutes per half.

Never heard it mentioned again though, so can only assume it got thrown out.

No idea why. Can see no downside personally. You’d still get teams trying to slow the game down to shift momentum etc. But it would kill actual time wasting at a stroke.

Recent reports suggest that the ball is in play for less than 60% of most games, often much less. Watching non-action is usually boring, unless there is a chance that a VAR might change the ref’e decision in our favour, for example, but I prefer the way Rugby times the live game, no opportunity for time-wasting, clock is stopped for injuries, subs and TMS, makes a lot of sense to me.

Yes I have read something similar myself and agree with the comments about following Rugby’s lead it would also allow the allocation of time to be taken out of the referees hands

Anything to remove the playacting, players dragging their feet to retreive/kick the ball. So frustrating as a fan.

I understand that some broadcasters objected to stopping the clock as it reduces the amount of time they have for adverts between programmes, resulting in reduced revenue. It also causes issues with program scheduling.
Not right but its all about the money since the advent of the prem.

card and sending off no messing about...and any commentator saying "we don't want to spoil the competition by soft red cards should be vilified on twatter for condoning cheating...and as for all this won a free kick bollox...last nights ref England V Germany got it spot on no free kicks for a touch in the back
This type of stuff does my head in, particularly with fouls. The same old shite gets rolled out all the time when a foul happens early on, that if it happened later in the match it would have been a card.
Same as holding in the box during corners. It was going to be clamped down on yet it continues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.