Tinnitus help and advice - Tinnitus Awareness Week 1-7 Feb (P 15)

I get it for months on end and then it goes for a few months. While I’ve got it my ears are over sensitive to sounds - particularly bass sounds. If I go to a gig I have to wear ear plugs or the level of sound is unbearable. Mine sounds like an aeroplane in the sky - a hum which is not a constant pitch

First stop is your GP to get checked for infection or wax. He may refer you to an audiologist who will provide a thorough earring test for both ears. If chronic tinnitus is diagnosed counselling can be offered or ear aids. Of course in the NHS this will mean waiting.

I wish you both good luck. As many have said on here it’s a case of putting it out of your mind - tinnitus gets worse with anxiety so if you sit there convincing yourself you’re going mad it will probably make it worse. Avoid complete silence - I’ve got a bedside clock that plays a variety of sounds to mask the tinnitus.

Ha, I don't even know anymore mate. It's all a blur. At least 5 years. I blame it on the tools at work and listening to loud music.
Thing is though, when you're grafting all day(and you're a builder) you don't hear the tinnitus as everyday sounds mask it. Plus when you're in bed you probably get to the land of nod easily. Have you noticed it more since you've been In lockdown and not as tired of a night due to not working?

And have you gone to see an audiologist?

I started that original thread last year and have had my hearing aids for apx 3 months now. They have really helped with it, when I’m wearing them the ringing is barely noticeable. It’s not going to be the same for everyone (if I remember right there were posters who had given up on the hearing aids because they didn’t help) but it’s worth a try. The nhs aids are small and you can hardly tell I’m wearing them, and if you can go private then they are even better. Tell her not to give in and wish her my luck.

I started that original thread last year and have had my hearing aids for apx 3 months now. They have really helped with it, when I’m wearing them the ringing is barely noticeable. It’s not going to be the same for everyone (if I remember right there were posters who had given up on the hearing aids because they didn’t help) but it’s worth a try. The nhs aids are small and you can hardly tell I’m wearing them, and if you can go private then they are even better. Tell her not to give in and wish her my luck.
Exactly the same with me mate. Hearing aid helped me no end

Is it something you do/can sleep with?
No, just a regular hearing aid. I hear the tinitus when i take it out, especially if I lie with that ear up as Im as good as deaf in that one and so I dont hear much ambient noise. Trick for me is to be tired going to bed and so drop off quickly, so you dont fixate on it. I exercise a lot and have a very busy job so have no problem dropping off. On days off, keep busy so you are ready for sleep. Or drunk as fuck of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.