To all the Blues no longer with us

For my dad Vinnie, better known as Scivi, to many who’d take kids with him to Maine road for their first games in his noddy car, his status is legendary. And to my lifelong mentor and friend Kevin Maclean, sadly taken last July, this was for you both. Thank you for instilling into me the values and the love for our blues. Through adversity and trials to this date, you were both with me and your lad was with me too Kevin, sharing the moment of destiny. I love you both and until we meet again in blue heaven, city till we die and beyond.
2019-08-21-10-34-0035.jpeg

Attachments

• 3ff4eee2-773b-464f-9a2c-107447959a08.jpeg
    3ff4eee2-773b-464f-9a2c-107447959a08.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4662.jpeg
    IMG_4662.jpeg
    695.2 KB · Views: 31
When this seasons shirt was launched with a private preview for Colin the Kings family I sensed it was going to be a special shirt.View attachment 82970View attachment 82966View attachment 82967View attachment 82968
It did feel far and above all kits. That inspiration held connection to past and present, but screamed of the future. I spent some time at the stadium, like many, remembering those too busy chanting from the stand in the sky. Actually, felt hard to hold back the tears before the game. Many missed. Always thankful of time spent with them. Too many to mention.

My Gran, Ivy stands out, because after games and before games, I'd often go to Failsworth and have a butty, brew and talk about football. Gran didn't follow football but she followed City through us as a family. She went to one game. Special. Her husband and my adopted grandfather gave me a book of signatures from pre-war. A huge treasure. Things are great, but what I'd give for a butty, a brew and view of Rochdale Canal from Gran's old place, and one last natter.

And... my late Grandad, George, who indoctrinated me in "the bunch of no-hopers" in the early 90s. His words. He didn't believe the move from Maine Road would amount to anything and sadly never saw our newfound home. BUT, he taught each and everyone of us about players from the 1920s, fans, moments away, disasters, respect for league and non-league and all things footy. He was a born and bred Newton Heath man who would pi$$ on all things red. Now, he'd be in his element. I treasure an enamel pin he gave me as a kid.

I had tears of joy and sadness when we won the league in 2011/12 and for every trophy since…my son died on the 31st January 2007, so has missed it all…he was City through and through though. Used to get gyp in school, but he didn‘t care. Had a tear in my eye for every trophy since including Saturday. He was cremated and we brought some ashes to be put in the Garden of Remembrance. Called City to make sure it was ok to do so. They asked what time we were going to do it and they even got the City padre to say a few words…every day is like yesterday and life has never been the same…few pictures here…
My daughter died in January this year aged 37.
She wasn't really a football fan, but I like to think she played a part in our success this season.
R.I.P. Kay.
X

Massive lump in my throat at full time on Saturday. I desperately wanted us to win it in 2021, as my brother, who used to come home and away with me, had been diagnosed with terminal cancer in April that year. Typical City lost, and our kid died in July that year having not seen us lift that trophy. He'd have definitely been in Istanbul with me if he was still here. Hope you saw it mate. Flag and scarf will be on your headstone later tonight

I'm not a home and away goer who spends thousands of pounds following the team up and down the country every week, so if I am talking absolute shite then someone please call me out on it.

The reaction at full-time wasn't one of absolute scenes or limbs or people falling over seats and that - much to the parody of tedious banter accounts on Twitter

I don't know whether it was because everyone was fucked from the journey to get to the fucking ground at the first place - but the fulltime reaction was incredibly muted. Circumspect. Relief. A release. Grown men in tears, people slumped in chairs, just everyone taking it all in. It was more beautiful, and organic than just going mental at the final whistle.

You could see this meant so much to so many people, those who thought they would never live to see the day, and remembering those who unfortunately never did. It was just an authentic release of emotion and a pressure valve that had been building for generations.
You’ve hit the nail on the head for me to be honest mate. After the goal it was pandemonium with people clambering about and celebrating deliriously- it was an external release of energy on anyone and anything around them. However at full time it was just a release of emotion internally for most people with many bursting into tears, others trying to comprehend what they were witnessing and many holding long embraces with family members and friends close by. Beautiful moment to be honest

When the whistle went I looked to the heavens and thought about my mum, a Blue whos only game was the 56 Cup Final. My dad an old Gortonian took her.

Also a fellah called Stan Brophy who took me to City early 80s (from Sheffield where I had moved to from Denton) and never charged me a bean as he knew I was in a shit job with no money.

I also thought about Barry "Bazzor" Knowles and Steve Wylde, both of Cheadle Hulme fame, who would have absolutely loved all this shit. Followed City with me through all the dark days everywhere.

I didnt get emotional after the game really, thought I would. I think its sinking in now though.

Years and years of following these wankers and my love for the club never faltered, not proud of everything I have done in life but I am of that.

Last edited:
I hope you won’t mind if I tell you all that reading this thread, sometimes, well most times, through tears, has been for me one of the best threads ever.
Best because it sums up to me Manchester City people, the City family. Not just City supporters but City family.

Thank you everyone for reminding us that City is not just a football team it is a very huge part of our lives.
Thank you @Ric for giving us this chance to remember that we do have history, not always the most successful but definitely always the BEST TEAM IN THE LAND AND ALL THE WORLD.

I hope I haven’t offended anyone by diverging a little. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.