Today's referee

laserblue said:
Pigeonho said:
I saw it too, and a very dire performance it was, laughable at times. When you say 'bent performance', how do you mean? What was to be gained by him being bent? Was he Bent towards Chelsea? If so, why? I can't see what he would gain by being bent either way...

As I posted earlier, I simply don't believe anyone reffing at PL level can be that incompetent so you have to wonder what motivation he had to put in a performance like that. Nobody knows why and we can speculate all day long. Maybe it was that he just had it in for City on the day.

If you're so convinced that refs can't be bent what about Lee Mason? He put in some shockingly biased performances when reffing City over he last few years. Twice towards the end of last season he was scheduled to ref City games but pulled out of both at the last minute due to 'family reasons'. However, on at least one of those occasions those family reasons didn't prevent him from reffing another PL game on the same day. On top of that he hasn't reffed a single City game this season.

Prestwich Blue knows the reason why, as well as the reason why Peter Walton suddenly and unexpectedly resigned mid season last year. And if you seriously believe that Walton wasn't bent then you probably also believe a fat bloke in a red suit comes down your chimney on Christmas Eve.

Thank the fuck I've no chimney. Wouldn't want the granny shagger coming down my chimney!

Pigeonho said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
Pigeonho said:
It's all well and good pointing the stats out, but what I want to know is why they would do this, the refs I mean. If the stats are true and they are blowing against us more than they do for us, why are they doing that?

it's simple, we have Barry, Yaya and Rodwell. All 3 are the most cynical type of midfielder who trip and push opposition players over to break the play up or because they've been beaten, in the case of Rodwell it's just the case that he has no composure and barges in in ridiculous areas of the pitch and gives silly fouls away.

They really rack up the tally quickly but many with blue specs, as happens up and down the country, don't see anything other than a legbreaker on the opposition as a foul.
I know mate, it's just Matty appeared to be suggesting they are only blowing against us and for reasons which maybe a little suspect.

For the stats to be accurate, and for there to be no referee bias/collusion/corruption/influence whatsoever then you've simply got to come to the conclusion that Manchester City are an extremely cynical and/or dirty football side. There's no other explanation for us having committed more fouls than any other Premiership side this season. I've watched all our home games, and I've watched a decent number of our away games, this season. I simply can't believe that is true. Obviously we commit fouls, all sides do, but it's frankly implausible that we are the worst side in the league for this, based on the evidence our own eyes presents to us. It's not just the high number of fouls we seem to commit, it's the low number of fouls we seem to have committed against us. We have the ball a great deal, thus increasing the opposition's chances to commit fouls, yet they still average only 9 fouls against us this season. Whether we are the dirtiest team to have ever played the game or not should have zero bearing on how often we ourselves are fouled when we have the ball. Referees are consistently giving a high volume of fouls committed by us, and a low volume of fouls committed against us. I don't know the reasons for this but, having assessed and decided against City being an overly dirty team, it only leaves unfair/bizarrely consistently shit refereeing as an option.

I also think leaving the blame at the door of Barry, Yaya and Rodwell is disingenuous. Rodwell has barely played, whereas the number of fouls committed didn't dramatically drop off when Yaya headed off to South Africa.

Good stats Matty. We're getting done every week almost.

It'd be interesting to see a proper breakdown of 'minutes without the ball per foul ratio' by us. I suspect we'd be relegated but top of the table of 'minutes without a foul being awarded whilst in possession' ourselves.

The reason we're getting shafted is obvious tho' .......just in case we do a typical City they want to make sure we miss out on the Fair Play Euro places. ;)

Matty said:
Pigeonho said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
it's simple, we have Barry, Yaya and Rodwell. All 3 are the most cynical type of midfielder who trip and push opposition players over to break the play up or because they've been beaten, in the case of Rodwell it's just the case that he has no composure and barges in in ridiculous areas of the pitch and gives silly fouls away.

They really rack up the tally quickly but many with blue specs, as happens up and down the country, don't see anything other than a legbreaker on the opposition as a foul.
I know mate, it's just Matty appeared to be suggesting they are only blowing against us and for reasons which maybe a little suspect.

For the stats to be accurate, and for there to be no referee bias/collusion/corruption/influence whatsoever then you've simply got to come to the conclusion that Manchester City are an extremely cynical and/or dirty football side. There's no other explanation for us having committed more fouls than any other Premiership side this season. I've watched all our home games, and I've watched a decent number of our away games, this season. I simply can't believe that is true. Obviously we commit fouls, all sides do, but it's frankly implausible that we are the worst side in the league for this, based on the evidence our own eyes presents to us. It's not just the high number of fouls we seem to commit, it's the low number of fouls we seem to have committed against us. We have the ball a great deal, thus increasing the opposition's chances to commit fouls, yet they still average only 9 fouls against us this season. Whether we are the dirtiest team to have ever played the game or not should have zero bearing on how often we ourselves are fouled when we have the ball. Referees are consistently giving a high volume of fouls committed by us, and a low volume of fouls committed against us. I don't know the reasons for this but, having assessed and decided against City being an overly dirty team, it only leaves unfair/bizarrely consistently shit refereeing as an option.

I also think leaving the blame at the door of Barry, Yaya and Rodwell is disingenuous. Rodwell has barely played, whereas the number of fouls committed didn't dramatically drop off when Yaya headed off to South Africa.

I'd say we were quite cynical as a team, and I'd also say we're far too honest when we're fouled whilst other teams will go down and take the free kick, Aguero being the perfect example.

Matty said:
I've had a spare few minutes so looked into City's stats for the season. These show clearly that 1 of 2 things must be true. Either:-

A - Manchester City are one of the dirtiest, cynical sides in the Premier League.

or

B - Manchester City are extremely harshly treated by the refereeing fraternity, for some reason.

We have played 27 league games this season, in that time we have committed 327 fouls (all figures courtesy of the BBC) whereas we have only been fouled against on 243 occasions. Given our possession stats over that time (I don't have a breakdown here but suffice to say we tend to have more possession than the opponent) this seems high. To look at it another way, in those 27 games we have committed more fouls than the opponent on 18 occasions, with the opponent committing more fouls than us on just 6 occasions (with 3 occasions the foul count was even). On only 6 occasions have we committed less than 10 fouls in a game, whereas our opponents have committed less than 10 fouls against us on 16 occasions. On 7 occasions we have committed 15 or more fouls, only Reading have committed 15 or more fouls against City all season (and we still managed to commit 11 fouls that game, despite having more than 60% possession).

So, is it the case that everyone else is playing Gary Lineker football whereas we're Chopper Harris? Or is it that referees seem to have a desire to blow the whistle when we put in a challenge, but not when our opponent does so?

What these stats don't show is how many times we've been fouled but chosen to play on and keep any momentum we had. Also, a lot of the fouls we commit are when we play a loose pass in the final third and commit a clumsy foul where the oppositions defender is more than happy to fall over with minimal contact and get a free kick that takes the pressure of his team.

In my opinion, it seems like we don't get a lot of the 50/50 decisions when other teams do get them. Like yesterday, another referee could have seen Rodwell's tackle (not foul!) as a good tackle and not given a free kick. Also yesterday, Ba kept on getting given freekick's when he was backing into defenders and drawing the 'foul' but Aguero got nothing given for dubious tackles on him.

Some excellent posts I have been stating for a while that we very rarely get 50/50 decisions.
The inconsistency of refs in regards how the rules are interpreted is laughable.

Look at Crappenberg last week in comparison to Marriner yesterday?
Last week we would have had three players on the pitch if Marriner was in charge.

The game is absolutely rotten to the core but we all put up with it.

Dzeko's Right Boot said:
fatbloke said:
If anyone had any doubt over refereeing integrity surely today just confirmed what a few of us have said for a few years on this forum. That wasn't bad refereeing, that was cheating. Bad refereeing occurs both ways, not just in one teams favour. At half time each team had 50% possession and we had created the most chances and were without doubt the one providing the attacking intent, yet the foul count was 13-1. No doubt Pidge, The cookie monster and SJK will have their excuses lined up and say he couldn't have been cheating because we still won but anyone who was at that game today surely has to have suspicions over the integrity of that performance.

Excuses? How about the notion that they actually were fouls, and our tackling was mostly shit today? Is that so absurd to consider? Zabaleta's yellow was deserved, as was Kolo's, Rodwell's was for persistent fouling. The only problem was that he didn't give us as many free kicks as we should have done, he let a lot of their stuff go.

If he was so bent, why didn't he send Joe off?

Absolutely,some of the stuff posted on here makes us sound like Reds,always blaming someone else.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
moomba said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
which is why both he and Marriner will get good assessor's reports for this weekend despite the fact 99% of blues on here think he was shit.

Marriner won't. I've got no problem with the red card though.

Imagine if he didn't send him off and Bradford somehow got back into the game.

Marriner will if you pay any attention to the Laws of the Game.

Marriner didn't apply the laws of the game correctly to both teams yesterday. If he gets a good assessors report we may as well give up.

I didn't have a problem with the yellow cards (Kolo and Zab were certainly deserved, and I got the impression that Rodwell was for backchat not the foul, but he had fouled 2 or 3 times previously), or most of the free kicks given against us.

However, there is something plainly wrong when a team has the ball as much as we do, and it takes 43 minutes to get our first free kick, and when only get 4 in 90 minutes. I can't see how that is just incompetence. Identical fouls were committed by both teams, they got every one in their favour, we got none.

Interesting that Mariner looks quite pissed off on "Tunnel Cam" when he comes down the tunnel at the end of the game, a bit like his team had just lost.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.