Today's shooting in America thread

What makes you think that this shooting is the one that will tip the discussion into making a change?
The NRA are like Liverpool fans. It's never their members fault.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think this shooting will change anything. I just thought that generally the gun ownership thing over there is not a great success

Including suicides there were 45,222 gun related deaths in the US in 2020. That’s over 15 times the death toll of 9/11. Imagine 15 of them every year?
The airbus A380-800 carries 853 people so that’s one of those crashing every week. Imagine the outcry if that happened and yet this carnage goes on unchecked year after year. It’s a fucked up place and no mistake…..

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this shooting will change anything. I just thought that generally the gun ownership thing over there is not a great success
It's complicated - and living here where most of my friends appear to be armed up to fuck, the one thing they say now is if everyone had to turn their guns in, the good guys would but the bad guys wouldn't, so there is no way the good guys would agree to handing them back knowing that the bad guys are still armed.
I've been thinking for a while now that maybe I should get one..... on the basis that everyone else has one. It doesn't sit well with me at all but then it's not a level playing field if it don't have one..... and it's that conundrum that has got us where the country is today

It's complicated - and living here where most of my friends appear to be armed up to fuck, the one thing they say now is if everyone had to turn their guns in, the good guys would but the bad guys wouldn't, so there is no way the good guys would agree to handing them back knowing that the bad guys are still armed.
I've been thinking for a while now that maybe I should get one..... on the basis that everyone else has one. It doesn't sit well with me at all but then it's not a level playing field if it don't have one..... and it's that conundrum that has got us where the country is today
What good would have a gun do you? Do you seriously think you'd be able to protect yourself with it? If somebody comes at you with a gun the odds are you wouldn't be able to get to yours fast enough and even if you did you'd probably miss because you're in a panic.

Everybody in America thinks they're some sort of Rambo who can fight off a whole battalion with their AR-15 but in reality they'd be more likely to shoot their foot off.

It depends on who you ask but it seems that 4 or more injured (not necessarily dead) excluding the shooter, is the accepted norm (if that's the right word to use).

641 mass shootings last year (648 perhaps?), 21 of which included 5 or more fatalities.

I'm not sure if this has been linked before but it's a damning story:-

wow...sobering article that

What good would have a gun do you? Do you seriously think you'd be able to protect yourself with it? If somebody comes at you with a gun the odds are you wouldn't be able to get to yours fast enough and even if you did you'd probably miss because you're in a panic.

Everybody in America thinks they're some sort of Rambo who can fight off a whole battalion with their AR-15 but in reality they'd be more likely to shoot their foot off.
I'm not looking at fighting off a battalion but if someone should attempt to break into my home, currently I have a bread knife in the kitchen to protect myself with against someone I don't know what they are carrying.....

The best we can hope for is that they'll come up with some sort of ban on high-capacity magazines so that when we do have mass shootings we can keep the casualties to less than 10-15. I know how unbelievably stupid that sounds but we're dealing with the GQP and the NRA. Probably 70% of Americans are in favor of a flat-out ban on assault rifles but with the rules of the Senate and how it's designed to allow the minority to torpedo any reasonable legislation it's the way it's gonna be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.