Today's shooting in America thread

Widespread disobedience? But these are responsible, law-abiding gunowners. We’ve been told this hundreds of times. How can this be? Surely they’d all turn in their weapons no questions asked.

Hmmm. Well, even if not, I really don’t think the majority of cosplay gunowners are any match for the National Guard, and plenty would comply. But until those truly “responsible” gunowners take responsibility for actually creating the demand for the product in question, and stop demanding it, well . . . I doubt much changes.
If America is full of 'responsible' gun owners, why are there so many firearms accidents?

I suspect it's a similar reason we have so many motor vehicle accidents in the UK despite the vast majority of drivers claiming they are 'responsible' when in many cases they are anything but.

Oh dear what a shame, rinse and repeat, they reap what they sow, feel sorry for the innocent victims but arming everyone makes it safer doesn’t it!

I'll bow to your superior knowledge regarding guns. It tends to ebb and flow. We had gunchester here a while back and now Liverpool appears to hold that mantle.

Knife crime is frightening as they are easy to get hold of and to hide and conceal. Being pretty cheap too they can be dumped if they know a search is imminent. More worryingly is the blasé way a lot of youths are willing to use them now. They don't seem overly concerned about killing somebody just about getting caught. It still doesn't stop them carrying or using them though.

No, a death is a death and no less tragic however it occurs.
It’s been bad in Liverpool of late, agreed, but still rooted principally in OCG activity, including that poor little girl. Not trying to diminish it in any way btw, but just to demonstrate that it isn’t widespread and out of control like with tragedies such as this one in a school.

Agree with everything you’ve said about knives. It’s frightening how widespread carrying them now is. Young lads (as it almost invariably is) with no concept of the consequences of their actions for them, their family, or their victim and their family. A waste of so many lives.

One thing that baffles me is why so many school shootings? Is it disgruntled pupils or ex pupils? Are they seen as an easy target? Or do these deranged individuals shoot up schools because they know killing children will hurt their neighbourhood the most?

I think we are witnessing the demise of the union. There seems to be too big a division. “All political unions eventually collapse”. Texas is a country in its own right, Cali could go it alone. The stupid thing is the people who claim to love the US the most are the ones doing the damage.
I’d be interested to know how they think that would work, don’t most states have their own laws or are they talking about no federal laws etc, what about defence of the USA, it’s much like if Scotland broke away, what happens to all the airbases etc?

It’s been bad in Liverpool of late, agreed, but still rooted principally in OCG activity, including that poor little girl. Not trying to diminish it in any way btw, but just to demonstrate that it isn’t widespread and out of control like with tragedies such as this one in a school.

Agree with everything you’ve said about knives. It’s frightening how widespread carrying them now is. Young lads (as it almost invariably is) with no concept of the consequences of their actions for them, their family, or their victim and their family. A waste of so many lives.

My best mate was stabbed to death leaving the Reno in 1986. Back then it was headline news on Granada reports and front page news in the MEN. It was even reported in the tabloids. Now there are so many they hardly make the headlines unless the victim is very young or a villain.

I’d be interested to know how they think that would work, don’t most states have their own laws or are they talking about no federal laws etc, what about defence of the USA, it’s much like if Scotland broke away, what happens to all the airbases etc?
Could be wrong but there’s only 1 or 2 operational air bases up here. We do have the Nukes though. The US has a history of a breakaway and civil war. It could easily happen again. You could argue there’s already a war going on, the Bloods and Crips have been at it for 40 years. With legally and illegally obtained guns.

Defence is a huge issue when it comes to seceding. Also, the Federal government isn’t just going to roll over and have its tummy tickled. Maybe states will be given opt outs around 2A and abortion as a compromise, but that then severely undermines the constitution as the bedrock of American society.

It’s certainly not straightforward, far from it. It would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise, but I do think it will reach that point eventually. As we’ve seen in this country, things can change very quickly.

And btw, as we’ve seen here, uncoupling is hugely fraught and complicated- and certainly not guaranteed to work.

The main difference is that to USA is that you can’t walk around and take pot shots from 25 metres away with a knife if you are a nutter. Criminals tend to kill criminals with guns in this country unless unfortunately as the little girl in Liverpool got caught in the middle of it, we thankfully can’t go and buy them over the counter as I think we would have a similar problem in this country if we did. I’ve always said we are around 20 years behind the USA in terms of shit that goes on, as long as we don’t arm ourselves knives are our biggest problem. I think in school from the age 11 a copper should go in and at the start of the year and lay it on the line to the kids about knife crime, get caught with one 5 years in prison regardless, if you stab someone 10 years, if they die life, no exceptions. We need to be tougher on them but we won’t because others make excuses for them.

If America is full of 'responsible' gun owners, why are there so many firearms accidents?

I suspect it's a similar reason we have so many motor vehicle accidents in the UK despite the vast majority of drivers claiming they are 'responsible' when in many cases they are anything but.
It’s possible you may have missed the tone I was trying to impart . . .

One thing that baffles me is why so many school shootings? Is it disgruntled pupils or ex pupils? Are they seen as an easy target? Or do these deranged individuals shoot up schools because they know killing children will hurt their neighbourhood the most?
Notoriety. How they will be remembered — actually not how, just that they WILL be remembered. Revenge. “They’ll realize how badly they treated me, the monster they turned me into.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.