Tommy Doyle | On loan at Wolves

I hope that the club has a real ambition to populate the first team with local players who are actual City fans like Doyle.

Obviously the club know fuck all, I've no idea where these 'mirror' figures come from, but our academy is, and always has been, a revenue stream first and foremost.

I genuinely hope Tommy Doyle (this thread is about him, not Diaz or Foden) makes it, but there never are any guarantees for any of them, but our academy is doing something very well if these figures aren't just a work of fiction.

So you think the purpose of the academy is to make money, not provide us with players?

If you think that's true then great, Doyle would probably go for £10m+ in 2 years, job done, you din't care if he never plays for us? Just like Sancho, make a quick 10m profit, and lets just ignore the fact he's worth 5x that 15 games into his professional career...

Nothing can get around the fact the club, despite it being their stated goal, have failed to bring any player through since the takeover, and that someone expressing concern about a kid like Tommy Doyle being given a chance is met with "Yeah but we made £10m off Sancho!!! Well done us!" is a joke.

Last edited:
I hope that the club has a real ambition to populate the first team with local players who are actual City fans like Doyle.
I am sure that if they are good enough they will compete with our existing first teamers. The problem for them is the quality of our individual first team players will increase despite retirement or transfers catching up with some.
We are fast becoming the team to beat in Europe as well as PL. Hopefully the Academy will provide us with some of our star players but time will tell.
I sincerely hope Tommy and Phil make the grade, certainly they have already done so at European age level so I am optimistic.

If salaries for elite players keep rising to Sanchez like levels and beyond it will be be a necessity not just a nice to achieve

So you think the purpose of the academy is to make money, not provide us with players?

If you think that's true then great, Doyle would probably go for £10m+ in 2 years, job done, you din't care if he never plays for us? Just like Sancho, make a quick 10m profit, and lets just ignore the fact he's worth 5x that 15 games into his professional career...

Nothing can get around the fact the club, despite it being their stated goal, have failed to bring any player through since the takeover, and that someone expressing concern about a kid like Tommy Doyle being given a chance is met with "Yeah but we made £10m off Sancho!!! Well done us!" is a joke.

Not looking for a fight and I'm sure the OP wasn't trying to infer that the academy is just a money making project.

I agree with your point regarding playing time for our youngsters, and there are others who regularly make the same point. I guess that most of our fans would love to see more of our kids given playing time with the senior squad , but unless they are showing real potential and Foden clearly falls into that category , it is difficult to see where the opportunities will arise.

Caraboa cup , FA Cup etc are the obvious opportunities ( assuming management are prepared to risk them in such games) and minutes in games where a win has already been secured, but other than that the opportunities appear limited.

And that leaves the only alternative as loans to teams where the kids would get genuine playing opportunities , and many of those appear haphazard at times.

Pep has previously had the opportunity to play his young players in the Spanish league with the Barca 2nd team etc, but the FA will not permit such an arrangement, so another stumbling block appears.

I am sure that our management are frustrated with the issue , but it would appear that only the truly outstanding youngsters will get genuine playing time or risk being lost when becoming frustrated by the lack of opportunities. Selling with buy-back clauses when sufficient playing time is possible appears the most viable way forward.

And as the OP was trying to say, I think , if we continue to bring in a revenue stream from the sale of players who cannot make our first team , then the academy is proving to be a worthwhile addition , providing the kids with a good grounding football wise and an education. As others have said I am sure parents of kids signing for City can see the benefits the club offers to them.

No I think its there to do both obviously, but its always been there to make money out of developing footballers, but you knew that too.

I'm not bothering with the rest of your rant, as you're trying to put words in my mouth.

I don't believe that anyone in football, some fans apart, believes that the City academy is a joke. I would argue that the opposite is true and it is considered the number one football academy in England and one of the best in world football. Only the very best will make it with us and we also have to realise that players have a choice of whether to stay or go and sometimes they will choose to move. I speak as a fifty-year-old who has supported the club all his life and who yearns for the day that a local lad becomes one of the greatest players in world football, grown through our academy and plying his trade on our hallowed turf.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.