Tommy Hutchison book

A wonderfully languid gangly skillful player who when he played for us always seemingly gave his all. As with all players who are blessed with technical ability he seemed to find space easily and had time to do what he wanted to do. Used to beat people very easily and was very well balanced.

Watched him play against us many times and my dad always used to wish he was wearing our shirt. Needless to say he and I were delighted when he signed for City and as others have said the Scottish trio hugely lifted the team and gave us a much needed harder edge.

Wished he had been with us for a much longer period.

Tommy Hutchison signed by John Bond, along with Gerry Gow and Bobby Mcdonald, transformed a very young Manchester City team, after the departure of Malcolm Allison. Tommy Hutchison was the creative winger who could drift past fullbacks with ease, even though he was in the twilight of his carreer he was still very influential and helped guide City to the 1981 fa cup final, he was my favourite player of that team, and wished he had stayed longer, if only we had bought him earlier in his carreer, a great player who will always be remembered by the City fans of that era.
Yeah, remember Tommy very well, one of our better signings. He was a sort of journeyman. But great player. Loved watching him.

Is he unique in that he scored for both sides in an FA Cup Final?
I can't think of anybody else who has done it.
Gary Mabbutt scored for both Tottenham and Coventry in 87. I don't know of anyone else.
Edit: apologies, just seen several others have mentioned this. Mabbutts goal for Spurs came jus before half time after a mix up between Kilcline and Ogrizovic.

Thank very much for all of great responses so far. Please keep them coming.

Last edited:
I liked Tommy a lot,very tricky player

As for Bobby Mc,I loved that guy,no idea why but he was my hero when I was a kid
Bobby Mac is my favourite Coventry left back, even above Stuart Pearce. He complimented Hutch really well and they were a great left side partnership.

The job he did for us, even if only in the short term, was very similar to that done by his fellow Scottish winger John Robertson in Clough’s great Forest side. Both men had little or no pace but could find an all important yard of space with their skill or a drop of the shoulder, and both were brilliant crossers of the ball who weighed in with the occasional goal as well

Yeah Bobby Mac was (In my view) excellent for City and had a knack of scoring some vital goals from our near post corner routine.
In the end of his time he got sacked after an incident in early season after our relegation (convenient!) and with Peter Bodak.
I recently listened to some archived John Bond taped interviews from circa mid 90’s. Bond said he wished Bobby was as
Hutch Brilliant at Man City for 18 months when he arrived in October 80 with his two other Scottish compatriots Bobby McDonald and Gerry Gow.
Before his and John Bonds arrival, City were in free fall and certain to go down.
An immediate impact was made with results improving straight away and City becoming an organised team and now hard to beat.
As part of the “bounce”, City reached the LC Semi (without the 3 cup tied Scots) only to be harshly robbed of a place in the final due to some dubious refereeing.
The FA Cup run then followed with again all the of the Scottish imports playing vital parts right upto the final where City were a deflection away from lifting the Cup in the Centenary Final.
The following season, Hutch and the team (with the addition of Trevor Francis) started the season very well and were top by NYD after beating Liverpool 3/1 at Anfield at Boxing Day.
In the New Year, injuries began to take a toll and the teams form dipped with the teams form fizzling out ending in a mid table position.
Hutch was strangely sold/loaned to Hong Kong but will always be remembered as a legend by City Fans.

Yeah Bobby Mac was (In my view) excellent for City and had a knack of scoring some vital goals from our near post corner routine.
In the end of his time he got sacked after an incident in early season after our relegation (convenient!) and with Peter Bodak.
I recently listened to some archived John Bond taped interviews from circa mid 90’s. Bond said he wished Bobby was as
Apparently MacDonald persuaded Bodak to drive to Blackpool in midweek because back in the 80s it was “full of easy Scottish sluts” for many weekends in the summer.
They got absolutely leathered and despite being top flight footballers, somehow came back empty handed. From Blackpool. In the 80s.
Overturned the motor while blind drunk on the way home.
Both then claimed to the police that the other one was driving.
McNeill, imo quite rightly, decided that if they were willing to grass each other and sell a teammate out to the filth to try and protect themselves, then they would do it in a game. Not the sort of characters you want around the olace.
So he fucked them both off within a week.
Good riddance, even though Bobby Mac had a great late career with Oxford

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.