Tommy Hutchison book

Apparently Gary Mabbutt also scored at both ends in the 1987 Cup Final whilst playing for Spurs.
I remember watching that game at a friend's house (we were all supporting Coventry because of the Dave Bennett conection) but don't remember Mabbutt scoring an own goal.
I do, and I pissed myself laughing at the irony of a Spurs player doing something that had gone in their favour five years earlier.

Karma can be a woman.

I still get annoyed thinking about extra time in that ‘81 final. Tottenham were absolutely gone. I think at one point they had three players down at the same time with cramp, or just exhaustion. Yet we just seemed as happy as them to play out time and go again on the Thursday. I’ll probably get over it one of these days.

I still get annoyed thinking about extra time in that ‘81 final. Tottenham were absolutely gone. I think at one point they had three players down at the same time with cramp, or just exhaustion. Yet we just seemed as happy as them to play out time and go again on the Thursday. I’ll probably get over it one of these days.
Yeah it definitely had that feel to it, the extra time, I remember being knackered, seemed such a long day, and I just wanted us to go for it, win, lose or draw, but we didn’t.

Funny how some things impact your life more than you realise, and teach you not to take things for granted, and that final (and replay) was one of mine, when we lost I just shrugged my shoulders and thought “we’ll be back soon in the next few years anyway”, never for one moment thought we’d end up in the shit situation we did, did anyone ?

Yeah it definitely had that feel to it, the extra time, I remember being knackered, seemed such a long day, and I just wanted us to go for it, win, lose or draw, but we didn’t.

Funny how some things impact your life more than you realise, and teach you not to take things for granted, and that final (and replay) was one of mine, when we lost I just shrugged my shoulders and thought “we’ll be back soon in the next few years anyway”, never for one moment thought we’d end up in the shit situation we did, did anyone ?

Did they fuck. I’d been to games in previous years but my first season of going every week was ‘75-‘76 when we won the League Cup of course. Then we finished runners up the next year. Following season 4th. Couple of poor seasons league wise after that but some great European nights. Beating AC Milan probably the highlight. Then the cup final and I’m thinking it’s a piece of piss this supporting City. Might have called it day then and switched to gardening or some shit, if I’d known that was gonna be it for the next 30 odd years.

Yes, I remember that. At the time, I wondered why Cov kicked off later. Mystery solved.
I thought all Coventry games kicked off 15 minutes after everyone else even Saturdays at 3.15.

After the final whistle on the Thursday I remember the City fans at the tunnel end singing 'We'll be back'. Like yourself I thought we'd be back the next year(or maybe the year after)
When I got home even my dad said he was at the previous FA Cup Final we'd lost in 55 and we went back and won it the next year.
He also menioned the much more recent League Cup Final when lost in 74 and won it 2 years later!
History didn't repeat itself though did it unfortunately, as we all know!
Onto Tommy Hutch himself, exciting player to watch and a great 'football brain'. He didn't seem particularly fast as a winger, just very skilful and good at crossing !(as wingers should be I suppose!!)Shame we got him so late ,to this teenager at the time he also looked in his early 60s not 30s.
Looking back to the 81 Final, like many other City fans who are old enough to remember that day I think ' if only defenders had thought of that lying down at free kicks thing (?) ' 40 odd years earlier!

I totally agree with you Stephen230. That’s my memory of the first game as well. As I recall, Tony Henry was the sub instead of Denis Tueart. I’m certain Denis would’ve run rings around the Tottenham team in extra time. Sadly, Tony Henry made no impact.

There are some great memories on here regarding the Watford game. We went top after that victory only to be relegated. Mad times from then on!

Watford at home, the third match of the 1982/3 season. Corrigan was badly injured in a collision with their winger Nigel Callaghan in the third minute, so Bobby played almost the whole game in goal and kept a clean sheet.

He made a couple of pretty good saves, as well, though he also enjoyed some outrageous good fortune at other times. And with, what, maybe 10 or 15 minutes left, we got a corner at the Platt Lane end which was flicked on and Dennis Tueart threw himself forward to head the ball past Steve Sherwood for the afternoon's only goal.

Cue pandemonium in a fantastic atmosphere (even though the official gate had the ground around half-full). Crowds are usually at their best when their team puts in a battling display against the odds.

It was the last game I ever attended with my late paternal grandfather, and City were thoughtful enough to make it an occasion that would last long in the memory. Who'd have thought that afternoon that Watford would end the campaign as runners-up to Liverpool while we'd go down?
Yes, I remember that one ,cracking atmosphere. The things I most remember were Bobby Mac's keepers shirt looking a bit 'baggy, the ball somehow ending up in his arms on several occasions and the Kippax singing 'Scotland, Scotland' No 1' (changing the 'lyrics' to what we normally sang to Joe Corrigan).
If I'm right I think we went top that day, 3 games in that season had promise didn't it!!!

After the final whistle on the Thursday I remember the City fans at the tunnel end singing 'We'll be back'. Like yourself I thought we'd be back the next year(or maybe the year after)
When I got home even my dad said he was at the previous FA Cup Final we'd lost in 55 and we went back and won it the next year.
He also menioned the much more recent League Cup Final when lost in 74 and won it 2 years later!
History didn't repeat itself though did it unfortunately, as we all know!
Onto Tommy Hutch himself, exciting player to watch and a great 'football brain'. He didn't seem particularly fast as a winger, just very skilful and good at crossing !(as wingers should be I suppose!!)Shame we got him so late ,to this teenager at the time he also looked in his early 60s not 30s.
Looking back to the 81 Final, like many other City fans who are old enough to remember that day I think ' if only defenders had thought of that lying down at free kicks thing (?) ' 40 odd years earlier!
We did get back, 23/3/1986

Full Members Cup Final

That was exactly me mate, although I thought maybe three years AT THE VERY MOST but no way any more than that :-S !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.