Tommy Hutchison failed to turn up. City or his fault ??

Should have let him do a book signing in the club shop like many others have done

Thats not what they asked to do.

They wanted to sell books in the stadium on match day. “A table in the corner of the room” in hospitality. They were told unfortunately that couldn’t happen.

... and talking of mard arses ...
Nice reply that youngun…. Who wrote that for you, your mate Tommy. Maybe stop brown nosing the bloke, he still won’t show. Don’t like opinions, don’t post, your a scouser anyway?

Tommy was a wonderful player for City (in his relatively short stay). He could hold off 3 or 4 defenders with his tremendous skills and guile that few players over the last 50 years could match. Anelka and Bernado are comparable in that regard. Memories of the 81 Cup run will go to the grave with many of us.

It’s a shame for Mid Cheshire OSC and Tommy that the gigs at the Branch meeting and the City corporate stuff didn’t take place. That’s life.

I think the emphasis reflects the disconnect between City officials and the fans and some ex players: People used to gloat on here about being ITK with some City Director but now that sort of stuff comes across as embarrassing. I’m not sure “the Club” have done anything wrong on this occasion though and it would have been better if Tommy’s events had taken place.

I can see both sides of the story. I'm philosophical about the way the game has evolved at the top level but unfortunately a lot of the time it's not been for the better. Like a lot of things in life however, the rules can't always be bent (unless it's PGMOL, of course). It would seem that City were in an impossible situation legally here but maybe it could have been handled more sensitively. I have a lot of sympathy with any of our old heroes if they feel somewhat disengaged with the modern game. It is what it is, but good luck to Tommy Hutch - I hope his book sells well.

What a shame. The inescapable conclusion is that if Tommy didn't have a book to sell he clearly would have had no interest in visiting the club and fans. There are plenty of ex-players with genuine affection for the club, he clearly isn't one of them.

Not sure how City are the bad ones here? Tommy was a Coventry City legend, not a Man City legend. Club offered to put him up free of charge for 2 nights, but threw his dummy out, cos he couldn’t set up a car boot sale? Nothing to do with the club. Fact is, he let down the City supporters branch, the fans. Crap bloke. Gave his word and never showed. Tommy acted like the corporate side of the business and dismissed the fans, not City. Might be an idea, to actually arrange someone who gives a crap about City & the fans next time. One season wonders just not cutting it. Own goal again, I see Tommy lad… Cheers.
exactly give over tommy lad, loada moaning over nowt trying to flog a loada swag, after getting the gold standard service from city, then chucked his toys out the pram when they said wind ya neck in tommy lad just leave the del boy business on the back burner for a bit just do a few meet n greets with our fans after we’ve got your tickets & hotel for you, sounds like he was mithering em to death tryin to ship few copies his book, storm in a tea cup, shoulda showed up at the supporters club do, a ridiculous display tbh.

Im confused that you’ve said multiple times that the club had contractual reasons they couldn’t let you sell the book inside the stadium, although despite this the person at City dealing with you went to his superiors to try and find a way around their contractual limitations to accommodate the request (albeit unsuccessful), but still think you’ve been hard done by the club?

From what you’ve told us, Tommy and yourself decided the hospitality and hotel rooms from the club, plus being guest of honour at the Arsenal game and supporters branch, getting showered with adoration from old fans, reliving glory years and promoting the book wasn’t worth the £150(?) in petrol and the bother of driving down because you’d miss out on book sales which would net you £100 each?

Which is fine - no one would say you or Tommy are obliged to come to the ground when invited - but it’s hardly the story of new heartless corporate Manchester City forgetting its old heroes and treating them like muck on their shoe. If anything it seems a story of a bloke not being too bothered about his old club hosting and honouring him unless he turned a profit on the trip and cancelling a speaking engagement last minute when he did the maths.

Honestly my main takeaway from the story is that you seem to have taken it as a personal affront that the club didn’t break its contracts with retail partners in the stadium to facilitate you and can’t understand a 54,000 capacity stadium is run differently to Gresty Road.

Despite all that I will now go and buy a copy, and I wish you success with the book and your upcoming trip to Blackpool. Have you considered asking if the club shop or even the website will stock the book?
First of all, Tommy being at the Arsenal game was arranged a couple of weeks ago, just after the draw was made. I spoke to the City guy at that point about selling the books and nothing was said that lead me to believe that this wouldn’t be allowed.
Arrangements with the Cheshire branch were made in the meantime. It was only on the Tuesday of this week that we got the email saying we would not be able to sell. By that stage we already had bought over a hundred books.
I suppose the main issue is the fact that Man City have a contract like the one they have in place that would stop the sale of books like ours, something that is in no way going to harm in any way shape or form the financial situation at the club.
You can say that clubs like Coventry, Blackpool or Swansea (or Crewe as you mention Gresty Road) just don’t compare any more to a club like City. That’s probably true but it’s not necessarily a good thing. It is similar thinking (that perhaps some clubs are more important than others) that leads to some believing that a European Super League is the way forward.
We were told that we could not sell in the shop and that the shop would not stock the book (Apparently they don’t sell any books). I did ask if it were possible to sell the book outside of the stadium in City Square while Tommy was on the stage. Again I was told it was not possible. If we had been able to sell in the square or in the shop or both, we would have come.
Thanks for buying the book and I hope you enjoy it. Hopefully you’ll see what a genuine and good bloke Tommy is.

Thats not what they asked to do.

They wanted to sell books in the stadium on match day. “A table in the corner of the room” in hospitality. They were told unfortunately that couldn’t happen.
Also when I asked, couldn’t sell the books in the shop or outside by the stage. Either of which would have made the trip worthwhile.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.