Tony Gale - thick, jelous scumbag

Didsbury Dave said:
Manc in London said:
How do you work that out?

Wages were £7.5m per year.

He stayed two years.

Cost us £15m in wages and we lost £10m on the transfer fee.

£25m loss.

Not rocket science is it?

True, it is not 'rocket science', however, I knew your response would be oversimplied and dissatisfactory. Point proven.

I guess Mark Hughes has zero responsibility for Robinho's signing, and the position in which he was played?

Blue Phil said:
Ibrahimovic cost €69million and Milan have the option to buy him for €22million, that alone is a loss of €47million, in the space of one year. However, apparently now we are adding on wages to transfer fees! (Don't ask why, it's just so City look bad to the mongrels who read the sun) So add another €9million to that. So in total in the space of one year Barcelona made a loss off €56million! LOL or they paid something like €4million a goal!

Yet no one breaths so much as a negative word about them!
Yeah but what The Sun got to do with a Spanish club and their business? I'm sure the Spanish equivilents of our tabloids are having a pop at that transfer.

GStar said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Well OK, he made a patchy contribution for a season then no contribution for a season.

So he cost us £25m for one patchy season - and a lot of headaches and bad PR.

Awful business by anyone's standards.

I'm going to be arkward and say he had one good season (2nd highest goalscorer behind Ronaldo) and one season where he never even really got a chance. I reckon its as much Mancini not wanting him as it is Robinho not wanting to be here. If we wanted to gag him in the media, i;m sure we'd have found a way to.

He wasn't perfectly suited to the PL, but he was adapting... much like Silva will have to.

I thought he was a problem in that first season. I know he got a few goals though.

I thought the cliches that he couldn't play away, didn't like the cold, didn't fancy it etc weren't the real cause of his problems.

The problem was the way we played. The way all premier league teams play. High tempo, very physical, one touch, 100 mph.

Robinho can only play the low tempo, samba style played by Brazil. He receives the ball. Puts his foot on it, draws his man and occasionally bursts free. You could see him doing it in the world cup.

You can't do that in this league, as became obvious. For one, in the first season, even when he was getting goals and playing well occasionally, he slowed up our moves when he got the ball. The opposition got back, we lost our momentum and ultimately the move failed.

That's why he can't play in the premier league. For anyone.

I dont' hate him like others do, I just think he was a total waste of money.

He'll do better in Italy because it is much more like the Brazilian game. Oddly, the way we played against Liverpool was a bit like this. But Mancini clearly wants attackers who can pressure the opposition and win posession high up the park. He can't do that for anyone.

YourBirdCanSing said:
On a 5 live last year, David Bernstein called the attempt to get Kaka: "The wrong player at the wrong time ... probably too early for a player of that stature, and too much attention would have been focussed on whether he succeeded or failed."

Same with Robinho, really.

In all the confusion of the takeover, I wonder how much of it was down to Al-Fahim, who was telling the press that day we were going to sign every superstar available.

Robinho was maybe the most skillful player to ever wear a City shirt (Kinky included), but the wrong player at that time, and under the wrong manager - for him, anyway. (Not saying Hughes was a bad manager, just not the kind Robinho needed.)

Did we need a 'marquee' signing at that time? a 'statement of intent?'

Not sure.

But it didn't work out for either party, so let's be thankful for the touches of brilliance that we saw, and accept that the Sheikh is probably less bothered about the £11m we lost than most of the pundits.

Hindsight is a great gift.
I was buzzing like a kid at Christmas when we signed him.The atmosphere at the ground was electric for that game against Chelsea.
If you'd asked if it was "too soon" for us to have a player like Robinho that day I would have asked you to double your medication.

However-it just turned out that we signed a total spineless,selfish,fair weather twat who simply couldn't cope when it wasn't all about him.
Not our fault....as Milan will no doubt find out in 12 months time when he's looking for a move.
We've learned a lot very quickly by signinmg him-Robinho gave us a stellar profile but at the same time we were always going to be wide open to having the piss taken if it went wrong.

Move on..it's all part of the process.

Didsbury Dave said:
GStar said:
I'm going to be arkward and say he had one good season (2nd highest goalscorer behind Ronaldo) and one season where he never even really got a chance. I reckon its as much Mancini not wanting him as it is Robinho not wanting to be here. If we wanted to gag him in the media, i;m sure we'd have found a way to.

He wasn't perfectly suited to the PL, but he was adapting... much like Silva will have to.

I thought he was a problem in that first season. I know he got a few goals though.

I thought the cliches that he couldn't play away, didn't like the cold, didn't fancy it etc weren't the real cause of his problems.

The problem was the way we played. The way all premier league teams play. High tempo, very physical, one touch, 100 mph.

Robinho can only play the low tempo, samba style played by Brazil. He receives the ball. Puts his foot on it, draws his man and occasionally bursts free. You could see him doing it in the world cup.

You can't do that in this league, as became obvious. For one, in the first season, even when he was getting goals and playing well occasionally, he slowed up our moves when he got the ball. The opposition got back, we lost our momentum and ultimately the move failed.

That's why he can't play in the premier league. For anyone.

I dont' hate him like others do, I just think he was a total waste of money.

He'll do better in Italy because it is much more like the Brazilian game. Oddly, the way we played against Liverpool was a bit like this. But Mancini clearly wants attackers who can pressure the opposition and win posession high up the park. He can't do that for anyone.

More or less how I saw it.

Got caught in possession far too much and slowed moves down unnecessarily.

YourBirdCanSing said:
On a 5 live last year, David Bernstein called the attempt to get Kaka: "The wrong player at the wrong time ... probably too early for a player of that stature, and too much attention would have been focussed on whether he succeeded or failed."

Same with Robinho, really.

In all the confusion of the takeover, I wonder how much of it was down to Al-Fahim, who was telling the press that day we were going to sign every superstar available.

Robinho was maybe the most skillful player to ever wear a City shirt (Kinky included), but the wrong player at that time, and under the wrong manager - for him, anyway. (Not saying Hughes was a bad manager, just not the kind Robinho needed.)

Did we need a 'marquee' signing at that time? a 'statement of intent?'

Not sure.

But it didn't work out for either party, so let's be thankful for the touches of brilliance that we saw, and accept that the Sheikh is probably less bothered about the £11m we lost than most of the pundits.
pretty much the way i see it.

i think we did need a marquee signing,if only to get better players interested in coming.and its worked.

the day he signed was a special day and it was worth it just for that.priceless.

tony false laugh gale, qoute i think glen roader is the man for the job at west ham, 18 month later, qoute i don,t know why they gave glen roader the job? what a wazzock?

I know there are a lot of Robinho haters on here and I find that to be pathetic.

Robinho was one of the most gifted players ever to wear the sky blue shirt of Manchester City and I feel proud and priviliged to have seen him play.

I accept there were questions about his attitude in the cold and away from home, for that I think we need to look elsewhere, ie what was he asked to do and was he being handled correctly?

Like it or not Robinho will hold a pivotal role in Citys history when its written. It was his arrival that was the start of this "project" and his presence that gave it the massive boost it needed and whether you like it or not we are still freewheeling on the momentum he gave us.

Lets be thankful and apreciative and move on.

Good luck Robinho... you were and still are a world class footballer!!

Pigeonho said:
It was bad business. There's no other way to describe it. And as for the other players the pundits have a pop at us for, they have a pop because we DO pay over the odds for most of them, and the reason for that is because 2 years ago we paid £32.5m for a footballer to 'announce our presence on the world of football'. As soon as we did that, we were going to get overcharged for everyone. Ironically we got undercharged for one of our best players, AJ, who looks to be able to do the business in a way Robinho could only dream about. Back to the point in hand though, £32.5m for Robinho, in terms of what he gave us, is bad business and can't really be seen as anything but.

Hard to argue with that really, and I was always less than convinced about this idea of a player to: 'announce our presence in world football.'

I agree there's a domino effect: Once you get a couple of big names, others are more likely to consider City than they would've done before ... and someone has to be the first. But there has to be more of a plan than that going into a transfer of this size.

The pundits talk about "Fantasy football" or "Too many defensive midfielders." It's normally a baseless pop at City, but it this case, they were probably right. Robinho wasn't bought with enough of a plan in mind.

Al-Fahim was talking about signing Ronaldo and Messi, Cook was giving interviews about superstar names and their global branding potential, and the manager was playing golf while the deal was being negotiated. Not enough proper planning really.

He was a phenomenal player, just not the right one for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.