Top 3 pies

Re: Topn3 pies

kp789 said:
Barcon said:
I will say this. I love Hollands meat pies, I actually fly to Manc in order to get them (City game doesn't hurt either). Whenever I'm back home I spend the entire time searching for Hollands pies. BUT, the last time I was over Andy pointed me in the direction of Mr. Thomas's chop house for a steak and kidney pud. It was the greatest piesperience I had ever had.
What is the difference between steak and kidney pie and steak and kidney pudding then.
the pastry - although there is a pub in Hawk Green that serves braised steak and a kidney pie - as Steak & Kidney Pie

johnny on the spot said:
Bob's not on her own. Mrs Jots never eats the pastry.

Respect to Mrs Jots, especially as I have seen her picture, but my point was possibly more philosophical than personal taste.
I mean, is a pie bereft of it's comfort blanket of pastry technically a pie anymore?
Personally I'd say no, as the pastry is pivotal to the very ethos and essence of the pie.
Folk can feel free to remove the pastry, as is their right in a kind of democratic society, but they are no longer true pie-eaters in my eyes.
I know it's harsh, but we live in a cruel world, and these people need telling.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
johnny on the spot said:

Respect to Mrs Jots, especially as I have seen her picture, but my point was possibly more philosophical than personal taste.
I mean, is a pie bereft of it's comfort blanket of pastry technically a pie anymore?
Personally I'd say no, as the pastry is pivotal to the very ethos and essence of the pie.
Folk can feel free to remove the pastry, as is their right in a kind of democratic society, but they are no longer true pie-eaters in my eyes.

As much as i agree, fish pies often dont have any pastry

0001026_scotch-pies_zps6270f70a.jpeg

I'm particularly partial to a good Scotch Meat Pie

Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
johnny on the spot said:

Good point well made.
I bet some fussy bastard will be along shortly to tell us that they remove the mashed potato from the top of fish pies.
So is that still technically a pie?
It's a proper can of worms, this pie-defining business.

Paul Lake's Left Knee said:

Good point well made.
I bet some fussy bastard will be along shortly to tell us that they remove the mashed potato from the top of fish pies.
So is that still technically a pie?
It's a proper can of worms, this pie-defining business.

Cottage pies, Cumberland pies and Shepard's pie also are of the mash variety...

I'd say a fish pie without mash is a fish stew... If you were to remove the pastry from a cold pie it would be a terrine, if the contents were warm/hot it would revert to the stew mentioned previously,

Femibob's pastry removal has opened a can of worms, Andy Gray would probably make a comment about women being fussy.

Risking a torch-bearing mob of BMers coming after me here but.........

HOLLANDS PIES ARE SHOCKINGLY BAD.

There, I said it.

Parrys in Hazel Grove do a fine Cheese and Onion and get my vote.

Deepest Blue said:
Risking a torch-bearing mob of BMers coming after me here but.........
HOLLANDS PIES ARE SHOCKINGLY BAD.
There, I said it.
Parrys in Hazel Grove do a fine Cheese and Onion and get my vote.
Bullocks Smithy has never recovered from the loss of Tittertons, their pies and sausages were sent to Buckingham Palace

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.