Top 6 mini league 18/19

Not having a go a you, C i L, I knew the answer when I asked the question. But it's this history thing again. Why live in today's world when you can have the rags in. And if they dont make top 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 do the rules get chaged to keep them in again? I think we all know the answer .

You’re asking two different questions - why do the media include them, and why are they in this thread.

Sky talk about the top 4 when the rags are in the top 4, the top 6 when they’re in the top 6 and even the top 7 when Moyes was in charge. That’s just a way of keeping them relevant so that thousands of armchair rags don’t lose interest. So, yes, they do change the rules to keep the rags in the club.

Even so, I genuinely think they will finish in the top 6, not least because the top 6 has finished in the top 6 in some order or other for the last 2 seasons in a row and at least five of the top six have finished in the top six every season for the last 10 years. Actually Liverpool have spent more time outside the top 6 than the rags since we joined that elite group.

The reason I think they belong in this thread is basically that the top 6 really has become an entity in itself. If you look at the final league table for the 2011-12 season, and compare it to the current table, outside the top 6 every team in that league has been relegated or promoted since bar Everton. It has become exactly the model UEFA wanted for the champions league, the same old teams always there, pulling in the viewing figures.

It’s piss funny to laugh at the rags and their fire football, but I think we have to recognise that for all that we would love it if they became spectacularly irrelevant, they aren’t likely to become a genuine mid table/relegation team any time soon. I see them more like Arsenal: capable of beating anyone when the stars align right, good for a cup win every now and then, not a real threat in terms of challenging for the title.

So whilst I would love it if they faded to nothing, I suspect they will be around for a long while to come.

So, the results and table after tonight’s game

Arsenal 0-2 City
Chelsea 3-2 Arsenal
Rags 0-3 Spurs
Spurs 1-2 Liverpool
Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 0-0 City
Chelsea 2-2 Rags
Spurs 0-1 City
Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool

The mini league table stands like this:

City - played 3, points 7
Liverpool - played 4, points 6
Chelsea - played 3, points 5
Spurs - played 3, points 3
Arsenal - played 3, points 1
Rags - played 2, points 1

So, the results and table after tonight’s game

Arsenal 0-2 City
Chelsea 3-2 Arsenal
Rags 0-3 Spurs
Spurs 1-2 Liverpool
Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 0-0 City
Chelsea 2-2 Rags
Spurs 0-1 City
Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool

The mini league table stands like this:

City - played 3, points 7
Rags - played 2, points 1
Mini league or no mini league.
We're better then them.
I don't care if we never win anything ever again aslong as were better than them

If you look at the final league table for the 2011-12 season, and compare it to the current table, outside the top 6 every team in that league has been relegated or promoted since bar Everton.

Re the top six arguement I think it should obviously be last season's top six, should Watford get 6th and the rags finish 7th next May then next season they'd be out.
Not realised that

Last edited by a moderator:
It's still early in the season (at what point does it become not early??) but its looking increasingly like the teams outside of the top 5 are going to struggle to take anything off any of those above them, which makes this mini-league even more important this year. It could even be as simple as win this mini-league and you will be champions? In fact it could break down to a mini-league of us, Pool and Chelsea with the winner of that being Champs?

So the rags are behind the rest of the top six in the table but are the only ones that still have three remaining games against the other five in the first half of the season. Two of those three are at the Etihad and Anfield as well!

Arsenal 0-2 City
Chelsea 3-2 Arsenal
Rags 0-3 Spurs
Spurs 1-2 Liverpool
Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool
Liverpool 0-0 City
Chelsea 2-2 Rags
Spurs 0-1 City
Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
City 3 - 1 Rags

City - played 4, points 10
Rags - played 3, points 1

Updated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.