totally underwhelmed

fathellensbellend said:
scorer said:
Disagree totally. Method and style need to be adapted to achieve results. Against the likes of Spurs you have to set yourselves up not to be beaten and this he did, very well in my opinion.

If you want to watch six goal thrillers every week thats great but dont expect success.... not yet anyway, that will come with time.

You have to be patient.

in simple terms, you will never win games if you don't get nobody in the box.

up to yet against the best sides, mancini has totally failed to show the know how of how to even create chances against them, never mind score.

we had new players i agree, but they were top players, added to a top squad, we cannot keep hiding behind the new team syndrome, yesterday was a league game and should be assessed accordingly.

the result was fine, the second half was a vast improvement, and there were some encouraging signs, but as an attacking force we were shit.

What do you mean? It took Ferguson 4 seasons to win a trophy and the fans were after his blood by that time. It took him 7 seasons to win the league, the reason he was brought in in the 1st place. Are you going to have a go at Mancini after his 1st game in a new season after 6 months in charge, the game being an improvement on the corresponding fixture the season before?

anyway, given i'm italian and my english is very very poor i've to ask for an help :

anyone would explane to me what the word "negative" really mean ? thanks

ps: becouse in all the time i watch fooball i believe this is the first time that a team have had about 60% of possession and is named "negative"...... there is something that i dont get ?

Mancio said:
anyway, given i'm italian and my english is very very poor i've to ask for an help :

ps: becouse in all the time i watch fooball i believe this is the first time that a team have had about 60% of possession and is named "negative"...... there is something that i dont get ?

pessimistico or contrario

gregblag said:
fathellensbellend said:
in simple terms, you will never win games if you don't get nobody in the box.

up to yet against the best sides, mancini has totally failed to show the know how of how to even create chances against them, never mind score.

we had new players i agree, but they were top players, added to a top squad, we cannot keep hiding behind the new team syndrome, yesterday was a league game and should be assessed accordingly.

the result was fine, the second half was a vast improvement, and there were some encouraging signs, but as an attacking force we were shit.

What do you mean? It took Ferguson 4 seasons to win a trophy and the fans were after his blood by that time. It took him 7 seasons to win the league, the reason he was brought in in the 1st place. Are you going to have a go at Mancini after his 1st game in a new season after 6 months in charge, the game being an improvement on the corresponding fixture the season before?

Best reply of the thread sums up my thinking

shadygiz said:
Mancio said:

pessimistico or contrario

thanks mate , i was thinking it was meaning "defensive" , thanks again

Last year I watched us lose home and away to Spurs so a draw is an improvement.
Nice to come away from White Hart Lane with a smile on my face as it is the first time since in 6 years.

i went to the game yesterday, and i have to say that i think our style of play is subduing our support. we were very quiet yesterday. mancini has my full backing but i share concerns about our lack of ambition to get into our opponents penalty box. one instance summed it up for me. in the second half david silva had possession of the ball three quarters of the way up the pitch, and not one player showed any interest in joining him on his great adventure.

come on roberto. give us something to shout about. PLEASE.

badge said:
i went to the game yesterday, and i have to say that i think our style of play is subduing our support. we were very quiet yesterday. mancini has my full backing but i share concerns about our lack of ambition to get into our opponents penalty box. one instance summed it up for me. in the second half david silva had possession of the ball three quarters of the way up the pitch, and not one player showed any interest in joining him on his great adventure.

come on roberto. give us something to shout about. PLEASE.

the same happened on a few occassions at home last season...time and time again tevez or bellamy made runs, only for our midfield to happily carry on passing it between themselves....remember tevez turning round part way through one game and throwing his hands up

ono said:
To fully understand why we were under the cosh yesterday you have to look at a lot of things...

Spurs were at home on the first day of the season, in the very fist game of the season against the team who they beat for a Champions League place and againsta team who they had beat 12 times out of the last 13. They were also up against a team that hasn't had much time to play together or even train together.

So the idea for Spurs was to start fast. The crowd make a lot of noise. Everyone wants to beat City now. Everyone in the ground is up for it, which understandably gives Spurs a huge momentum lift.

They gave our players no time on the ball, and when they had the ball, more often than not they got it out wide and hit Crouch. This in itself causes problems because of how tall he is. Everything suddenly looks last ditch as we battle to get on the end of his knockdowns before a Spurs player does. It's very difficult to show compusre and retain possession when the game is at such a tempo and the atmosphere is so intense. We actually did really well in this respect.

Then Joe Hart has to make some exceptional saves. 1st from a Defoe shot, after a knockdown from Crouch (which we actually defended ok). Then he makes two great saves from Huddlestone and Ekotto. 9 times out of 10 those shots miss by miles. Huddlestones technique was fantastic, but 9 times out of 10, shots from that distance don't even register. The very fact that those shots both almost produced goals only hightens the atmosphere, and in turn it makes our job of not conceding, even harder.

Now the only real chance in the first half where we were majorly at fault was the Defoe 1 on 1. Kompany and Toure both got caught, and there was no pressure on Huddlestone who played a quality long ball. Maybe Richards could have done better with Bale's shot that hit the post...

In the 2nd half, we performed much better and we should have scored with SWP. From there on, we controlled the game, and after about 20 minutes of the 2nd half possession was something like 63% - 37% in our favour. This impressed me, because it's an area where we'ved struggled in the past. We managed to silence the crowd and we carved out 1 or 2 decent chances. The whole pattern of play changes, because Spurs no longer have the momentum. Bale still had a good chance to win it, and Kompany made a great block late on, but make no mistake, we were the better team in the 2nd half.

Toure looked much more comfortable, Barry looked good. Silva looked decent, and we looked a lot more composed. To me, that's a sign of things to come. We controlled the game for 45 minutes away from home against a top 4 side. Not many teams are going to start like Spurs did, and we'll be able to get a grip on a lot of games much earlier. I saw enough in the 2nd half to see that we're a better side than last season, and we've also got Balotelli and probably Milner to come in, aswell as having a fully fit and co-ordinated midfield, which will probably take a few weeks to fit together.

I honestly don't understand what was underwhelming about yesterday. We took a point from White Hart Lane, against a team who have won their last 8 there. They started very similar against Chelsea last season and could have been 4 or 5 up by half time. It's normal for Spurs to start like that against the top sides. All you can do is hold out and take the sting out the game. We did that and i'm pleased. Underwhelmed didn't even enter my mind.

Great post.

gregblag said:
ono said:
To fully understand why we were under the cosh yesterday you have to look at a lot of things...

Spurs were at home on the first day of the season, in the very fist game of the season against the team who they beat for a Champions League place and againsta team who they had beat 12 times out of the last 13. They were also up against a team that hasn't had much time to play together or even train together.

So the idea for Spurs was to start fast. The crowd make a lot of noise. Everyone wants to beat City now. Everyone in the ground is up for it, which understandably gives Spurs a huge momentum lift.

They gave our players no time on the ball, and when they had the ball, more often than not they got it out wide and hit Crouch. This in itself causes problems because of how tall he is. Everything suddenly looks last ditch as we battle to get on the end of his knockdowns before a Spurs player does. It's very difficult to show compusre and retain possession when the game is at such a tempo and the atmosphere is so intense. We actually did really well in this respect.

Then Joe Hart has to make some exceptional saves. 1st from a Defoe shot, after a knockdown from Crouch (which we actually defended ok). Then he makes two great saves from Huddlestone and Ekotto. 9 times out of 10 those shots miss by miles. Huddlestones technique was fantastic, but 9 times out of 10, shots from that distance don't even register. The very fact that those shots both almost produced goals only hightens the atmosphere, and in turn it makes our job of not conceding, even harder.

Now the only real chance in the first half where we were majorly at fault was the Defoe 1 on 1. Kompany and Toure both got caught, and there was no pressure on Huddlestone who played a quality long ball. Maybe Richards could have done better with Bale's shot that hit the post...

In the 2nd half, we performed much better and we should have scored with SWP. From there on, we controlled the game, and after about 20 minutes of the 2nd half possession was something like 63% - 37% in our favour. This impressed me, because it's an area where we'ved struggled in the past. We managed to silence the crowd and we carved out 1 or 2 decent chances. The whole pattern of play changes, because Spurs no longer have the momentum. Bale still had a good chance to win it, and Kompany made a great block late on, but make no mistake, we were the better team in the 2nd half.

Toure looked much more comfortable, Barry looked good. Silva looked decent, and we looked a lot more composed. To me, that's a sign of things to come. We controlled the game for 45 minutes away from home against a top 4 side. Not many teams are going to start like Spurs did, and we'll be able to get a grip on a lot of games much earlier. I saw enough in the 2nd half to see that we're a better side than last season, and we've also got Balotelli and probably Milner to come in, aswell as having a fully fit and co-ordinated midfield, which will probably take a few weeks to fit together.

I honestly don't understand what was underwhelming about yesterday. We took a point from White Hart Lane, against a team who have won their last 8 there. They started very similar against Chelsea last season and could have been 4 or 5 up by half time. It's normal for Spurs to start like that against the top sides. All you can do is hold out and take the sting out the game. We did that and i'm pleased. Underwhelmed didn't even enter my mind.

Great post.

one of the best posts iv ever read on here ono,you summed it up unbelieveably well.il put my house on it that tottenham will never have a 35 mins like they did in the first half for the rest of the season!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.