Tottenham Hotspur thread (2015/16)

don't like it, it looks shit, like a dinghy from above - and whats with the cr*ppy towers next door

and you can see its going to be an absolute nightmare to get in and out being hemmed in on all sides by houses, shops and units - typical London ground

I much prefer stadiums that are situated in a tight, urban environment to stadiums that are on the edge of town or by some soulless retail park. There's far more of a buzz about the former, IMO.

There are major plans for development around White Hart Lane over the next 20 odd years. I'd be surprised if the height of those towers isn't reduced prior to planning consent but, overall, there will be a lot more mid to high rise development in the area over the coming years and a big increase in housing density.

So you're going to like it even less than you already do in those renders, I'm afraid!

I've always quite liked Spurs for some reason, but I struggle to have any positive feelings towards the new stadium, given the way they went about getting it. Although I'm sure it was just "good fortune" that the one business that stood up to them and refused to sell just happen to burn to the ground...

Hard to get behind that sort of thing tbh, just like with the way Liverpool have run down their area to try and force people to sell them the land. For me, football clubs should enrich their community, not be at war with it.

That business didn't burn to the ground! There was a fire which caused a certain amount of damage but the company continued to operate in the aftermath and is still doing so now. As to the causes, well....there is, of course, the chance that it was entirely accidental. But, if it wasn't, I would suggest that it was far more likely an inside insurance job than shady shenanigans on Spurs' part. Spurs (or, technically, Haringey council) had won the legal argument up to that point and were clear favourites to win a final favourable judgement in the High Court. The end was in sight. Jeopardising everything in such a desperate manner would have made no sense for Spurs at all. They had nothing to gain from it and everything to lose.

Spurs amicably agreed the purchase of some 70 other units on that industrial estate many years ago. It was only Archway who refused to sell - as was their right. They clearly figured they could squeeze more out of the club. Fair play to them for trying but they took it too far and probably ended up with significantly less than Spurs offered.

And more generally, Spurs isn't "at war with" the community. Of course there are a few disaffected NIMBYs but there has been overwhelming support for the plans from the vast majority of locals. It hasn't always been the case - certainly back in Alan Sugar's day, when the club had woeful community relations - but the Spurs Foundation now does so much for the area that the club has earnt a lot of goodwill.

Last edited:
I'm still wondering how Kane will do in his second season, hopefully he don't get the usual second season syndrome a lot of strikers get

It's amazing how many have come through mate, in twenty years we only really see Campbell, Carr and King come through. We had wank in the 90's like Fenn, Rory Allen, Mahorn come through but they weren't anything special, it was as if reserves/academy didn't exist back then. Even in the last few years we've sold Caulker and Livermore as well, it definitely is refreshing considering we blew 100m on poor signings (bar Eriksen & Lamela)

Saying all that we'll still finish 5th/6th, cock up in the cups, play one million games in Europa and win sod all!! The hope that kills you I guess! lol

What did you think of the Sterling signing?!

I think Kane is quality and will score 20 goals again next season.

It's so impressive to have that many players having come through the youth system in 2015. Caulker should still be there aswell, better than some of the foreign CBs at Sours surely!

The QPR 20% has inflated the fee, but basically every fee in football is inflated now. Maybe it is a little expensive, but Sterling is a top young English player who addresses a weakness in our team. Great signing IMO.

I think Kane is quality and will score 20 goals again next season.

It's so impressive to have that many players having come through the youth system in 2015. Caulker should still be there aswell, better than some of the foreign CBs at Sours surely!

The QPR 20% has inflated the fee, but basically every fee in football is inflated now. Maybe it is a little expensive, but Sterling is a top young English player who addresses a weakness in our team. Great signing IMO.

I hope he hits 20 goals, whenever I watch him I scratch my head how he scored so many, he's not blistering quick, he sometimes looks awkward but he's very direct. It's refreshing to see either way!

I was shocked when we sold Caulker, I never did understand it, he didn't cover himself in glory at QPR but that's not surprising playing alongside an ageing Dunne, Ferdinand, Clint Fecking Hill etc. Better than the likes of Fazio, Kaboul & Chriches (mostly played as a full back for us though) . We got Dier on the cheap so it's not all bad but it looks like we have some competition at the back now. I'm sure in good old Spurs fashion we'll concede a bucketload just for the sake of it. An interesting stat last season we had the fifth best attack, the fifth worst defence and finished fifth, I'm sure that's a wind up!

I made a comment in the Delph thread but you got a steal for 8m, I'm shocked you got him for that fee, good business!

Good set at Spurs. Far better than Everton and Liverpool in my opinion. What they need to do is forego the Europa League, FA Cup, and League Cup and work really on trying to secure a top 4 spot. Kane is a super player for instance but they do have to stop buying the players who aren't good enough and in Pochettino they have got a superb manager.

Despite the obnoxious set of fans, they really have achance and I hope they make it. Can we all imagine Utd and Liverpool not in the top 4 ?

Spurs doing some good work this summer, look like they're getting rid of all the dead wood for once.

So far in, Tripper (3.5m) Wimmer (4.3m) Alderweireld (11.5m) . Out Paulinhio (9m) Holtby (4.6m) Capoue (7m) and Kaboul (3m) . Rumours about Stambouli going soon too and United wanting to sign Lloris (hopefully not)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.