Tourists at games

The cost? I went to Edgar Street to watch Hereford re-open the stadium against FC and then to a friendly reverse fixture the following season or so.

I’m assuming you’re a Mancunian but I’m supposed to believe you don’t know any genuine rags? There’s loads.
Cost is a fair point, but I’m sure they could afford the odd Thursday night game? Of course I know loads of genuine rags, even a few from school days, I’m not sure how you arrived at that conclusion? And I know plenty of rags who have given up for various reasons, but not one of them goes to watch the splitters.

There will be a lot more who come to the Etihad than go to away games.
That's fine, they can buy the empty seats everyone claims we have , spend their 'tourist dollars' in the city shop , in Manchester hotels and in Manchester businesses, even show a passing interest in the city and region that the club was born from

That is the social bubble or general local area you live in that makes you say what you did.
It definitely is based on my bubble - that’s why I said that! I’m not trying to suggest it’s universal, just explaining why some people may see more tourists in London. Unfortunately youth sports aren’t always super accessible without a high cost of entry here. And sometimes more popular American sports - like American football - have more accessible options for kids who aren’t as affluent (eg free sign ups, etc). Once again, at least where I live.

Even to watch “soccer” you’d need to pay extra for different tv packages here - its not always on television or something you can see at a local stadium.

I am not at all saying this is right or how I would like it to be. Just the reality. And for what it’s worth, none of us were having fancy sandwiches or Chardonnay! We’re not that $$$. We dont necessarily want to sit in hospitality suites but for some, it’s the only way to get tickets legally without taking a locals seat!

Last edited:
It definitely is based on my bubble - that’s why I said that! I’m not trying to suggest it’s universal, just explaining why some people may see more tourists in London. Unfortunately youth sports aren’t always super accessible without a high cost of entry here. And sometimes more popular American sports - like American football - have more accessible options for kids who aren’t as affluent (eg free sign ups, etc). Once again, at least where I live.

Even to watch “soccer” you’d need to pay extra for different tv packages here - its not always on television or something you can see at a local stadium.

I am not at all saying this is right or how I would like it to be. Just the reality. And for what it’s worth, none of us were having fancy sandwiches or Chardonnay! We’re not that $$$. We dont necessarily want to sit in hospitality suites but for some, it’s the only way to get tickets legally without taking a locals seat!
The way you wrote it, it reads affluent people on the East Coast are the ones interested football. You did not say, in my town, my neighbourhood, in my friend circle. I read ot as was written perhaps not as you intended.

You don't have to explain your desire for free youth sport to me. I don't get into other people's pockets. I'm no communist. :)

The way you wrote it, it reads affluent people on the East Coast are the ones interested football. You did not say, in my town, my neighbourhood, in my friend circle. I read ot as was written perhaps not as you intended.

You don't have to explain your desire for free youth sport to me. I don't get into other people's pockets. I'm no communist. :)
Sorry, I read it back and I can see I wasn’t as clear. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify. I find the differences in “fandom” between countries really interesting and I enjoy these discussions - I don’t want to alienate anyone!

Sorry, I read it back and I can see I wasn’t as clear. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify. I find the differences in “fandom” between countries really interesting and I enjoy these discussions - I don’t want to alienate anyone!

Yeah, of course. I hope I didn't come across rudely. I try not to be that way. I can be matter of fact and sometimes it can be misconstrued.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.