Tourists at games

American here - we have a lot of family friends with kids who are very into “soccer” and are interested in seeing games abroad. I’m on the East Coast so it’s a shorter trip to London and generally families interested in football here are more affluent. Because the London Stadium is big, I know a lot of people end up there when they just want to see a game - they don’t necessarily have a specific team they support. Friends went there last year and ended up sitting next to long time Hammers who told them all kind of stories and taught them the songs and they came back to the US as fans for life. Not all tourists are terrible! And many I know are smart enough to know to behave and dress appropriately whatever side they sit with, even if they usually support another team (obviously support is more fluid here in the states).
That's fine, but they shouldn't be getting tickets in the away end when season ticket holders struggle to get away tickets.

That's fine, but they shouldn't be getting tickets in the away end when season ticket holders struggle to get away tickets.
I agree. It’s important for the team to have seasoned supporters when they’re away from home. But to play the devils advocate, most US fans don’t know it’s hard for away fans to get tickets. Ticket sales are very different here in the US. It’s normal for people to go to StubHub and buy a ticket here and they wouldn’t think anything of it there (because even the inflated prices you see on reseller sites are cheap compared to US sports). For example, we have season tickets to a local pro sports team and we’re allowed to resell our tickets on StubHub. It’s the authorized reseller.

I have watched football across as a tourist sometimes in away end and in the home end.
I have been with friends and my family. Sometimes my kids weren't interested.
Who cares it's a game of football.

I agree. It’s important for the team to have seasoned supporters when they’re away from home. But to play the devils advocate, most US fans don’t know it’s hard for away fans to get tickets. Ticket sales are very different here in the US. It’s normal for people to go to StubHub and buy a ticket here and they wouldn’t think anything of it there (because even the inflated prices you see on reseller sites are cheap compared to US sports). For example, we have season tickets to a local pro sports team and we’re allowed to resell our tickets on StubHub. It’s the authorized reseller.
Thanks for putting your POV on here mate. Its difficult terrain - especially for those of us who:
i) didn't have to worry about getting tickets in the past, 'cos there was always availability - but now find availability hard
ii) also want all the success on the pitch that the £ has helped to secure

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.