Tourists at games

Thanks for putting your POV on here mate. Its difficult terrain - especially for those of us who:
i) didn't have to worry about getting tickets in the past, 'cos there was always availability - but now find availability hard
ii) also want all the success on the pitch that the £ has helped to secure
The US fans I know would be sad to know locals are being priced out - we all want you to be there because part of the reason there is so much interest in seeing a game is because of the fan experience. We all want authenticity- the non stop songs, the banter, the shit weather, etc. When friends go see a game they honestly share as many pictures/videos of the supporters cheering as they do the big players. My family saw City play at Stamford Bridge last fall and sat in a Chelsea section that was full of tourists. As amazing as it was (even my older two kids who give the side eye to football loved it), I know it wasn’t a full experience.

The US fans I know would be sad to know locals are being priced out - we all want you to be there because part of the reason there is so much interest in seeing a game is because of the fan experience. We all want authenticity- the non stop songs, the banter, the shit weather, etc. When friends go see a game they honestly share as many pictures/videos of the supporters cheering as they do the big players. My family saw City play at Stamford Bridge last fall and sat in a Chelsea section that was full of tourists. As amazing as it was (even my older two kids who give the side eye to football loved it), I know it wasn’t a full experience.
Autumn, for fuck's sake. A-u-t-u-m-n.

Bloody Yanks.

I have watched football across as a tourist sometimes in away end and in the home end.
I have been with friends and my family. Sometimes my kids weren't interested.
Who cares it's a game of football.
So you have no problem with genuine Blues missing out on watching their team live just so a tourist family can go. Wow, ok.

(Have I been clarkied?)

How can I if I do the same in games across Europe. Blame the clubs for selling tickets to Tourists.

I agree. It’s important for the team to have seasoned supporters when they’re away from home. But to play the devils advocate, most US fans don’t know it’s hard for away fans to get tickets. Ticket sales are very different here in the US. It’s normal for people to go to StubHub and buy a ticket here and they wouldn’t think anything of it there (because even the inflated prices you see on reseller sites are cheap compared to US sports). For example, we have season tickets to a local pro sports team and we’re allowed to resell our tickets on StubHub. It’s the authorized reseller.

I don’t think any rational person is going to have a problem with the actual tourists themselves. Unless they’re acting like dicks obviously.

I don’t even think many people have a huge problem with the club giving a smallish percentage of tickets for home games to tourists, to help grow the all important ‘global brand’

It’s when the club take a chunk of tickets out of the most in demand away allocations and they directly or indirectly end up in the hands of tourists, often with no affinity to the club whatsoever, that the majority of people get a bit peeved.

It doesn’t seem to make much sense, even purely from a business sense, apart from anything else.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.