Train Fares Going Up Again

strongbowholic said:
How do they expect to encourage people off the roads and into public transport if it is not an affordable option?

Does not compute.

I had a think about this the other day
At the moment I pay £1100 a year in travel, which is trains, underground, buses
I live 8 miles from where i work but if I owned a car it would probably cost me 3x as much to get there.
If we forget the price of a car to start with, insurance, tax, MOT, service, cleaning, petrol and parking all have to be paid
Insurance is probably around £600-£1000
Tax £120 average
MOT £30-£50 if no failures
Service Lets say £100
Petrol is 120p a litre
Parking well varies where you work but most commuters work in city centers so £5-£20 a day
Its just not cheaper to run a car even if you have absolutely no problems with it at all

johnny on the spot said:
3% above inflation. Robbing bastards.

Some workers now paying 15% of their wages just to get there.

Agree on this,crazy the UK on train prices.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
strongbowholic said:
How do they expect to encourage people off the roads and into public transport if it is not an affordable option?

Does not compute.

I live 8 miles from where i work but if I owned a car it would probably cost me 3x as much to get there.
If we forget the price of a car to start with, insurance, tax, MOT, service, cleaning, petrol and parking all have to be paid
Tax £120 average
Service Lets say £100
Petrol is 120p a litre
Parking well varies where you work but most commuters work in city centers so £5-£20 a day
Its just not cheaper to run a car even if you have absolutely no problems with it at all
Petrol 120p a litre? Try at least 136p. You also forgot to add £50 a week congestion charge that's £2,000 per annum before you start adding on the rest !
But yes, £1,100 on trains per annum is cheaper than driving, less stressful (sometimes)

tueartsboots said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
strongbowholic said:

Does not compute.

Tax £120 average
Service Lets say £100
Petrol is 120p a litre
Petrol 120p a litre? Try at least 136p. You also forgot to add £50 a week congestion charge that's £2,000 per annum before you start adding on the rest !
But yes, £4,000 on trains per annum is cheaper than driving, less stressful (sometimes)

Well i was trying to make it more all cities than just London. Driving in to London everyday is for the very wealthy

BoyBlue_1985 said:
tueartsboots said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Tax £120 average
Service Lets say £100
Petrol is 120p a litre
But yes, £4,000 on trains per annum is cheaper than driving, less stressful (sometimes)

Well i was trying to make it more all cities than just London. Driving in to London everyday is for the very wealthy
Other than London? Fuck em. We are far superior and more important.

Aren't you listening?

We have the justification that prices need to rise in order to fund improvement.

Don't ask why this improvement has not occurred over the last decade, when prices have been extortionate anyway. That doesn't matter. That money has just gone, well, somewhere.

Now, definitely now, this money will go towards improvement and making our rail network something that is not the laughing stock of Western Europe. The rail companies have obviously, just a few weeks ago, had a Road to Damascus conversion and now they are going to put the extortionate prices towards "much needed improvement".

We should be thanking them they they have now seen the light and have now decided to improve the service. Never mind that they have been ripping you off for years. Cough up, cough up, it's definitely going to be enough to fund a decent service now. Can't wait. (Just don't hold your breath)

PS: what about bus transport. If I am not mistaken a journey that costs about 70p in South Manchester costs about £3 in North Manchester. Great stuff.

jma said:
PS: what about bus transport. If I am not mistaken a journey that costs about 70p in South Manchester costs about £3 in North Manchester. Great stuff.

The press don't have a national campaign every year from August till January, telling everyone to be outraged at the price of bus travel though.

Bus fares often go up twice a year too not annualy like trains.

I see Branson's lot have lost their last franchise to those shitbags at First for stupid money. £390m a year up from £160m. Completely unsustainable.

Cue a swathe of job cuts, declining service, further fare hikes, union and passenger fury and ultimately the deal being terminated early.

johnny on the spot said:
I see Branson's lot have lost their last franchise to those shitbags at First for stupid money. £390m a year up from £160m. Completely unsustainable.

Cue a swathe of job cuts, declining service, further fare hikes, union and passenger fury and ultimately the deal being terminated early.

Virgin are the only people that have upgraded stuff in the last 100 years

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.