Traveling to away games in the 1970s

been to many games in the 70s mostly by car, but sometimes got the train to away games, 1 of which it was a last/ away game of the season. it was derby, so went on train from Donny to shelffield then on to derby, loads of city fans from Manchester was on that train, got into derby and a few of us from donny was wanting to find a pub for a drink, but police made us go with rest of the city fans so found a pub near the ground, it was ok till the end of the game [1-1] then derby fans went on to the pitch and came over to us and it kicked off, there was fights all the way back to the train, we got on to a train to Sheffield and as we got there a train from Manchester pulled in, full of utd fans , but none of us wore colours so we was ok until some city fans going back to Manchester decided to sing hark now hear the city sing. loads of utd fans got off train and again fights we city fans on shelffield station, got back to Donny and there were loads of utd got off train as well and they was leeds fans coming back from a game and it kicked off again
Was at that game at Derby. Absolute carnage..Lol

Went to the Liverpool v Everton FA Cup semi replay at Maine Rd in 1977. City sold a few tickets to our fans for semis, and me and my mate decided to go. After the game we got the football special bus back into town from outside the parkside. The bus was bricked all the way back to the city centre by City fans and we spent the whole journey under the seats as windows were going through for fun.
Worse still when we got off the bus there were city and united fans waiting to pick bin dippers off, and we got ambushed near Piccadilly gardens. I pleaded with them saying I was a city fan who had just gone to the game but they weren’t interested. I had a new leather jacket on and they tried to nick it. When they couldn’t get it off my back they got a knife out and slashed it. FFS attacked by Blues!
Some scary shit went down in the 70s and 80s.

Do you have to go to the other side of the platform though

Went to the Liverpool v Everton FA Cup semi replay at Maine Rd in 1977. City sold a few tickets to our fans for semis, and me and my mate decided to go. After the game we got the football special bus back into town from outside the parkside. The bus was bricked all the way back to the city centre by City fans and we spent the whole journey under the seats as windows were going through for fun.
Worse still when we got off the bus there were city and united fans waiting to pick bin dippers off, and we got ambushed near Piccadilly gardens. I pleaded with them saying I was a city fan who had just gone to the game but they weren’t interested. I had a new leather jacket on and they tried to nick it. When they couldn’t get it off my back they got a knife out and slashed it. FFS attacked by Blues!
Some scary shit went down in the 70s and 80s.

One of the few times I remember City and United joining up to do the scousers. Looking back it was a bit stupid playing it here in those days.

I remember Leeds and West Brom playing a third replay at Maine Road and like a loon I decided to go in and watch it as I was going down to buy a ticket for another game. Not too bad inside but walking back to Princess road bus depot after the game I walked into a mob of about 200. Luckily they were Blues after Leeds fans led by Debbie and her boyfriend. Someone recognised me so I was safe, but some Leeds fans took a terrible hiding that night.

One of the few times I remember City and United joining up to do the scousers. Looking back it was a bit stupid playing it here in those days.

I remember Leeds and West Brom playing a third replay at Maine Road and like a loon I decided to go in and watch it as I was going down to buy a ticket for another game. Not too bad inside but walking back to Princess road bus depot after the game I walked into a mob of about 200. Luckily they were Blues after Leeds fans led by Debbie and her boyfriend. Someone recognised me so I was safe, but some Leeds fans took a terrible hiding that night.
Don’t remember Leeds playing West Brom, but they did play Wolves there in the early 70s. Quite a lot of FA cup semis were played there in the 70s 80s and right up to 90s when United played Oldham.

Given that I am a card carrying coward and definitely a lover not a fighter, I don't know how I had the bottle to go away back in the 70s, as it could be bloody scary. It could also be great fun and a real buzz, and I don't think I was ever in any real danger, though one visit to Scousepool was a bit hairy.

On some occasions a yellow streak down the back is the most sensible colour to wear ;)

eye opening stuff, cheers

i have rarely travelled as a blue, never had any money as a youth (i mean just about none, though i know fans find a way) and moved away as an adult (so no season ticket).

not that i was alive in the 70s but still, this is a large part of football culture, for better or worse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.