Traveling to away games in the 1970s

Remember going to Turf Moor in 73 and both sets of fans were under the big shed opposite the main stand with virtually no segregation and people were throwing darts at each other. I got hit on the back of the leg by an exploding banger but luckily was not injured.
Leeds away was always a nightmare even though we had the numbers. Their hooligans it seemed were everywhere in the city and remember arriving on the football special looking out the window and a young lad about 13 years of age lobbing a brick at our carriage. He was only yards from the train but miraculously the prick managed to miss all the windows.

Went to the Liverpool v Everton FA Cup semi replay at Maine Rd in 1977. City sold a few tickets to our fans for semis, and me and my mate decided to go. After the game we got the football special bus back into town from outside the parkside. The bus was bricked all the way back to the city centre by City fans and we spent the whole journey under the seats as windows were going through for fun.
Worse still when we got off the bus there were city and united fans waiting to pick bin dippers off, and we got ambushed near Piccadilly gardens. I pleaded with them saying I was a city fan who had just gone to the game but they weren’t interested. I had a new leather jacket on and they tried to nick it. When they couldn’t get it off my back they got a knife out and slashed it. FFS attacked by Blues!
Some scary shit went down in the 70s and 80s.

Both sets of Scousers who were there that night will always remember it for evermore.........

Both sets of Scousers who were there that night will always remember it for evermore.........
Can't remember why now but as a 14 year old me & 3 mates were out on our cycles could have been returning from Ringway after plane spotting....don't ask, we were young.

Passing by the ground just after full-time it was carnage, no idea how we got back to the city centre without being kicked off.

I was at the Leeds v wolves game, group of city fans inbetween the two , remember seeing a lot dressed in clockwork Orange gear and painted faces, don't remember city fans doing this or any other teams?

First time I ever heard the vikings song we used to do in the early 80s was getting off one of those specials in Norwich.
City first done it Norwich and Ipswich away in the 1970s think it was 1976

Reactions: Ian
And talking of Chelsea I'm sure I remember my Dad telling me he was in the Shed at Stamford Bridge for the 1971 European Cup Winners Cup Semi-Final first leg (he had moved to London in 1969) and it was the most scared he had been at a game ever.

I'll ask him tomorrow but it was a few years ago since he told me and as he's now 70 it might be a bit misty.
I was 17 at the time there must have been over 15,000 City fans there ,never seen such a following ,No need to have been in the shed .

I was 17 at the time there must have been over 15,000 City fans there ,never seen such a following ,No need to have been in the shed .
Remember the second leg at Maine Rd. Thousands of Chelsea there and big numbers in the Kippax.

Remember the second leg at Maine Rd. Thousands of Chelsea there and big numbers in the Kippax.
I couldn't make the home game ,only the away as I was in the Royal Navy at the time .as it happened I was in Manchester on leave for the away game so was able to go on the train with my mates but could not get any leave for the home game

There was always some muppet who thought it funny to pull the emergency stop chain & it would take bloody ages to get home. I remember some plank pulling it on the way to a game & we missed most of the first half.
Sorry mate. I did that on the way home from Coventry. Legged it quick when the police or guards turned up, can’t remember, looked back and saw some poor fellow pissed up blue getting hoisted because he was stood near it! Karma got me back the season after when I got stabbed in the hand at Middlesbrough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.