Traveling to away games in the 1970s

Blue Lloyd said:
And talking of Chelsea I'm sure I remember my Dad telling me he was in the Shed at Stamford Bridge for the 1971 European Cup Winners Cup Semi-Final first leg (he had moved to London in 1969) and it was the most scared he had been at a game ever.

I'll ask him tomorrow but it was a few years ago since he told me and as he's now 70 it might be a bit misty.

Stamford Bridge was never a good place to go to back then ....... i was there one day (probably mid-70's) when Asa Hartford scored a late winner for us , and you could sense that it was gonna be bad outside.

I got back to the coaches just in time as about 40 of them came out of an entry , armed with sticks and bricks , and stormed our bus ...... they boarded it and Helen belted one of em' on the head with her bell!

They then smashed about four windows before the cavalry finally showed up on motorcycles and chased them off!

black mamba said:
Blue Lloyd said:
And talking of Chelsea I'm sure I remember my Dad telling me he was in the Shed at Stamford Bridge for the 1971 European Cup Winners Cup Semi-Final first leg (he had moved to London in 1969) and it was the most scared he had been at a game ever.

I'll ask him tomorrow but it was a few years ago since he told me and as he's now 70 it might be a bit misty.

Stamford Bridge was never a good place to go to back then ....... i was there one day when Hartford scored a late winner for us , and you could sense that it was gonna be bad outside.

I got back to the coaches just in time as about 40 of them came out of an entry and stormed our bus , they boarded it and Helen belted one of em' on the head with her bell!
They then smashed about four windows with poles before the cavalry finally showed up on motorcycles!

God bless that lady. What a true fan she really was.

I've also heard tales of City and Newcastle fans knocking shit out of each other in the Leazes End at St James Park before the 1968 title decider. When City took over the ground very early and the Geordies who did manage to get in got very pissed off with the amount of City fans in that end.

Was in the Leazes End that day pure magic and the the game before at spurs as we were lining up at the turnstiles the cops were frisking us,kept on walking over hachets hammers knifes on the floor pissed myself laughing

Blue Lloyd said:
Looking at the accounts on here sums it up that away trips in the 70's were bad.

But which was the worst? Leeds, Everton, Liverpool, Scum, Wolves or London grounds?

Leeds
One year we were getting chased and a new member actually pulled a gun and fired 3 rounds at the leeds fans it stopped
them quick it was then i realised things were getting too serious with the crew i was running with.
We always got our own back when they came to MR i would hate to have been an away supporter coming to MR in the 70s

we used to hitch it to most games ,had some scary expeirences along the way, got a lift of a tate & lyle driver at a service station he said get in the cab and wait while he goes for a drink,next thing knock on the window 2 liverpool fans one of the says get out this our lift told em to fuck off , then the door opens he said didnt you hearme its our lift he had a big fuck off knife think we ran it the rest of the way to london,think we were playing chelsea

neil jung said:
hgblue said:
My first ever away match was a fa cup game at Leeds. Must have been mid seventies, as I was only about ten. The manager of the kids football team I played for at the time took us, and we were winning 2-0 with about ten minutes left, when the Yorkshire nutters invaded the pitch. I can remember two players coming over to the City section (think it was Owen and Tueart), pleading with us not to go onto the pitch, which was the last thing on my mind. A couple of us got split up from the group, and had an interesting journey back to the van! Put me off away games for a while, and by the time I was old enough to go with my mates, the worst of the violence was over.
It was January 1978: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3YfKuVHgxs
Remember that one well, particularly Gary Owen desperately trying to stop us going on the pitch. However, the worst experience I had at Leeds was the league game in December 1977, after which they made the draw for that match.

I was staying with a mate in Leeds (who was a blue) and we had to walk back into Leeds surrounded by thousands of Leeds fans. My scarf was hidden at the bottom of my bag but I had a transistor radio to listen to the draw. So all these Leeds fans are round me and if they see my scarf or guess I'm from Manchester then I'm dead. Then they announce the draw "Number 20 - Leeds United - will play number 23 - Manchester City." They're all shouting "Who've we got?" and I nearly forgot myself and started to say "We've got to come back here." then remembered and it came out "We've got to...... play Man City again" in my best Yorshire accent.

Got to the centre and said goodbye to all my new friends.

It came home to me in the last couple of seasons how much things have changed. Last season in that first game at West Ham, I was living in London and chatting to West Ham fans on the train. Last time I went, things were so bad that we left the ground before the kick-off and just went back into London.

And then at Stoke this season I was chatting to a load of their fans going back to the car and remembered the time when we had to run for our lives back to the coach.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.