Traveling to away games in the 1970s

black mamba said:
blue 1992 said:
Didn't they keep the away fans behind after most games to avoid trouble?

They started to keep visiting fans in after games sometime around the late seventies ..... but before that it literally was evry man for himself ..... both inside and outside the grounds , as segregation hardly existed in any shape or form.

If you turned up at Everton or Liverpool you would find them surrounding you at some point during the game , asking you the time as you tried to leave , and threatening (and slashing) you with stanley blades .

Not nice especially for the many non-scouse fans the dippers have as well as for away fans obviously.

Interesting hearing these tales though. I've seen some interesting things but aren't really old enough to have seen it at it's peak.

Leeds and Wolves were always bad, Wolves would brick you while you were on the terraces from that hill!...and that subway...lol
Leeds was really bad if you went on the train, went by rail 3 times but never went home on it, the route to the station was fraught with danger!!!!

Derby, Stoke, Norwich and Ipswich were always ok as was WBA and Villa but Birmingham was dodgy!

looks like we all got a lot of banter

but i bet we gave more than we got

especially when we played younighthead

went by rail 3 times but never went home on it, the route to the station was fraught with danger!!!!

Getting back to leeds station after the game was what made the day worthwhile!.

If Elland Road was as bad as some of you are saying then it seems odd we took such large numbers yet at London grounds the support was far more sparse. I'm assuming this is simply down to distance?

i used to hitch it every away game from 67 to 72 with a lad called lee from denton wat fun notting forest the worse getting back over the bridge wolves were quite fun from the station
ohhh all those happy days jump the special to burnley and back police at victoria no chance

Good times going away in the 70s we used to meet up in Hyde outside the Albion pub,( inside if it was a home game ) some one with a clean licence would pop round to Queens car hire and get a transit van, all jumped in the back with dozens of party seven cans then spend hours trying to open them.------ happy days

Blue Lloyd said:
Just how bad was Upton Park in the 70's?

You had to keep your gob shut inside the ground, basically - and you did get the odd scally asking the time. And the first coach out usually got bricked, as happened to the one I was on - it was Big Helen's coach as well - after Joe Royle scored a late winner there in '77(?). About 6 windows were smashed and it rained on the way back up the M-way too IIRC.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.