Trouble in Leeds tonight

Everyone avoids Harehills, especially the police ! , my sons school bus used to pass by and he saw his first and hopefully only stabbing a few years back.

Some Muslim community leaders appear to have helped diffuse things which was largely a Roma matter at first.
The pile on twitter re Muslims was as toxic as the violence itself.

Ive put a stop on my gofund me donation to Jay's send off and redirected it to the traumatised bus driver and social worker fund.

What a crap news day its been.

Not to be too pedantic but quite a few Romani people are Muslim Ashkali. My late ol' granny was originally from that background, although didn't follow the religion when she was older.

I can't say if these were or not. Just sayin there's a good portion of Romani people that consider themselves Muslim, especially those from Bosnia, Bulgaria etc..

Police across the major cities will be very aware that with the warm weather copy cat problems are v probable.

Amuses me somewhat that people think you can rustle up PSU 'Riot' officers in a few minutes:

It takes hours. A PSU is 22 officers-most frontline officers aren't trained (its voluntary) and of those on duty who are trained almost all will be tied up with other important matters.

So, you have to go through contact lists to get people in and ready. A lot of officers have lives and commitments meaning they can't always come in or they are about to start nights anyway-so those spaces need back filling etc. Usually falls on the duty inspector-gives me wind just thinking about trying to organise it whilst dealing with everything else.

Cultural enrichment for you. I’ve got a mate who lives in Leeds and he said you avoid this area at all cost.
I won't enter into a 'race' debate but I'd encourage anyone to do some research into the cause of the riots in the 80s-like many things people always want a convenient, overly simplistic answer to complicated problems. But rather than race/colour of skin there are numerous other factors that ultimately lead to these outbursts of disorder-inc social deprivation, disenfranchised, under privileged communties, poor local amenities, poor life chances, poor education, housing, opportunties, austerity-all factors rather than simply the racial/religious profile of a community.

Personally I dealt with several large disorders and the colour of someone's skin wasn't at the forefront of my mind.

Last edited:
I won't enter into a 'race' debate but I'd encourage anyone to do some research into the cause of the riots in the 80s-like many things people always want a convenient, overly simplistic answer to complicated problems. But rather than race/colour of skin there are numerous other factors that ultimately lead to these outbursts of disorder-inc social deprivation, disenfranchised, under privileged communties, poor local amenities, poor life chances, poor education, housing, opportunties, austerity-all factors rather than simply the racial/religious profile of a community.

Personally I dealth with several large disorders and the colour of someone's skin wasn't ath the forefront of my mind.
I recall two in recent times. The one that started in London around 2010, and had copy cat riots spreading through the UK, including in Manchester City centre.

Another was in Oldham around 2000.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.