TV Referral System to be trialed in 2015

Regardless of the example set, trials will will happen to see how to best implement action. Blatter suggests 'out of play' challenges but he's not clued up on the game, clearly. Using his example would be pointless as the game may not stop for a while and a goal could be scored in that time. Blatter complicates matters and he doesn't envisage actions properly.

Improper use of challenges can happen, sure, but I call that frivolous action and it could and should be punished via the ref or FA. It's not up to me to work out the minute details as football as it is has grey areas within the game.

I've covered a few fair points as counter argument and I'm not really sure what I can add, further.

It will certainly be interesting if does get a trial. Personally I cant see any way video replays/challenges can make the game any more fair than it is now.

Dubai Blue said:
MaineRoadmcfc said:
Bigga said:
I seem to be banging the drum on this subject, but anyway...

American Football and football are two very different playing styles. In our game only things like stamps, diving for pen,s deliberate handballs and the like should be reviewed. I'm not suggesting everything should have a review ability, nor would it take 10 mins for stoppage. A fifth official(if not the fourth) would easily review at the touchline.

People are creating easily solvable scenarios here.
So if Team A is on an attack and a player goes down in the box, Team B gets the ball and quickly go on a counter attact. Could the manager or captain of team A stop the game and use a challenge?
I'm pretty sure Blatter said the review could only happen when the ball next goes out of play, so no they couldn't beak up a counter attack. The system could, however, render several minutes of play that includes a goal completely meaningless.

Colin Murray pointed out yesterday that the most similar American sport to football is ice hockey. It's also the only American sport that doesn't have a review system because they determined that it would be completely unworkable. I agree with him.
Sorry, this is wrong. Hockey certainly does have a review system for every goal scored. It's not triggered by the coach, they look at every scoring play in real time from the NHL's central office. They disallow wrongly awarded goals for players being in the goal crease, shots deflected by a stick over shoulder height, pucks batted in with a glove, kicked in with a skate etc. They will also allow a goal where the referee has wrongly disallowed it. System works great. They announced today that they are expanding the system.

edgecroft said:
Dubai Blue said:
MaineRoadmcfc said:
So if Team A is on an attack and a player goes down in the box, Team B gets the ball and quickly go on a counter attact. Could the manager or captain of team A stop the game and use a challenge?
I'm pretty sure Blatter said the review could only happen when the ball next goes out of play, so no they couldn't beak up a counter attack. The system could, however, render several minutes of play that includes a goal completely meaningless.

Colin Murray pointed out yesterday that the most similar American sport to football is ice hockey. It's also the only American sport that doesn't have a review system because they determined that it would be completely unworkable. I agree with him.
Sorry, wrong. Hockey certainly does have a review system for every goal scored. It's not triggered by the coach, they look at every scoring play from a central office. Goals are disallowed for being in the crease, stick over shoulder height, puck batted in with a glove, kicked in with a skate etc. System works great.

And more often than not an incident happens, puck over the line or not, play continues and they review it when the play ends. If it's a goal clock is reset. Obviously this works well as hockey is counted down by the second.

edgecroft said:
Dubai Blue said:
MaineRoadmcfc said:

Sorry, this is wrong. Hockey certainly does have a review system for every goal scored. It's not triggered by the coach, they look at every scoring play in real time from the NHL's central office. They disallow wrongly awarded goals for players being in the goal crease, shots deflected by a stick over shoulder height, pucks batted in with a glove, kicked in with a skate etc. They will also allow a goal where the referee has wrongly disallowed it. System works great. They announced today that they are expanding the system.
Sorry, that's my fault. I meant an 'appeal' system like Blatter is suggesting, with the managers calling the shots. I know the ref reviews goals after they've been scored and I said earlier in the thread that I believe that's the only system that could work in foortball, as a video ref could review goals while the players are off celebrating. It wouldn't disrupt the flow of the game but it would be 100% weighted in favour of proving that a goal is a goal, as it wouldn't help with contentious incidents that resulted in a goal not being scored.

I would be guttered if TV replays came in. I always wanted goal line technology but that had to be the line for me. I just think it would spoil the game, the controversial decisions is one of the major talking points in football.

Dubai Blue said:
edgecroft said:
Dubai Blue said:

Sorry, that's my fault. I meant an 'appeal' system like Blatter is suggesting, with the managers calling the shots. I know the ref reviews goals after they've been scored and I said earlier in the thread that I believe that's the only system that could work in foortball, as a video ref could review goals while the players are off celebrating. It wouldn't disrupt the flow of the game but it would be 100% weighted in favour of proving that a goal is a goal, as it wouldn't help with contentious incidents that resulted in a goal not being scored.
Just to clarify, the ref doesn't review goals, someone is sitting in the NHL "war room" who has access to every angle of every game and can not only disallow goals, but can also allow goals that the ref has disallowed. Would work well in football, obvious dive for a penalty that you can see from behind but not from the ref's viewpoint, it would take 30 seconds to change it to a yellow card for the diver. Last year's Barcelona penalty in the Champions League would have been reversed in less than a minute.

edgecroft said:
Dubai Blue said:
edgecroft said:
Just to clarify, the ref doesn't review goals, someone is sitting in the NHL "war room" who has access to every angle of every game and can not only disallow goals, but can also allow goals that the ref has disallowed. Would work well in football, obvious dive for a penalty that you can see from behind but not from the ref's viewpoint, it would take 30 seconds to change it to a yellow card for the diver. Last year's Barcelona penalty in the Champions League would have been reversed in less than a minute.
I still dont see something like this working in football. What happens if team A score but 2 minutes before that in the build up outside of the box a clear free kick should have been given to team B. How far do rewind the game?

Then there also the passion that will be lost when a goal scored knowing that it will reviewed and possibly chalked off, which will frustrate match going fans.

MaineRoadmcfc said:
edgecroft said:
Dubai Blue said:
I still dont see something like this working in football. What happens if team A score but 2 minutes before that in the build up outside of the box a clear free kick should have been given to team B. How far do rewind the game?

Then there also the passion that will be lost when a goal scored knowing that it will reviewed and possibly chalked off, which will frustrate match going fans.

Your first point has already been addressed should you care to read the earlier posts within the thread.

Secondly, are you afraid the opposition fans will sympathise with their rivals over their rightly disallowed goal???

Really don't get the argument...

Bigga said:
MaineRoadmcfc said:
edgecroft said:

Your first point has already been addressed should you care to read the earlier posts within the thread.

Secondly, are you afraid the opposition fans will sympathise with their rivals over their rightly disallowed goal???

Really don't get the argument...

My second point is mainly a concern with football becoming like rugby or american football where after a goal is scored we will then have a wait to see if it counts or not. It would suck out the joy and drama of a goal being scored imo.

Either way I feel all the ideas about how video replays could be implemented all come with flaws and there will still be a hell of a lot of unfair decisions even if it was introduced. So what is the point in adding technology and possibly damaging a game which is already so popular anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.