TV Referral System to be trialed in 2015

MaineRoadmcfc said:
Bigga said:
MaineRoadmcfc said:
I still dont see something like this working in football. What happens if team A score but 2 minutes before that in the build up outside of the box a clear free kick should have been given to team B. How far do rewind the game?

Then there also the passion that will be lost when a goal scored knowing that it will reviewed and possibly chalked off, which will frustrate match going fans.

Your first point has already been addressed should you care to read the earlier posts within the thread.

Secondly, are you afraid the opposition fans will sympathise with their rivals over their rightly disallowed goal???

Really don't get the argument...

My second point is mainly a concern with football becoming like rugby or american football where after a goal is scored we will then have a wait to see if it counts or not. It would suck out the joy and drama of a goal being scored imo.

Either way I feel all the ideas about how video replays could be implemented all come with flaws and there will still be a hell of a lot of unfair decisions even if it was introduced. So what is the point in adding technology and possibly damaging a game which is already so popular anyway.
There's definitely the potential for it to sap the sponteneity out of the game. Imagine if Aguero's goal had not only won the league for City but also sent QPR down. If they had a review left they would certainly have used it in the hope that some sort of infringement had taken place, and English football would have lost one of its most iconic moments ever. It would happen for every last minute goal because they'd have nothing to lose. The same thing happens in cricket and it's the one aspect of DRS that I really dislike.

Dubai Blue said:
MaineRoadmcfc said:
Bigga said:
Your first point has already been addressed should you care to read the earlier posts within the thread.

Secondly, are you afraid the opposition fans will sympathise with their rivals over their rightly disallowed goal???

Really don't get the argument...

My second point is mainly a concern with football becoming like rugby or american football where after a goal is scored we will then have a wait to see if it counts or not. It would suck out the joy and drama of a goal being scored imo.

Either way I feel all the ideas about how video replays could be implemented all come with flaws and there will still be a hell of a lot of unfair decisions even if it was introduced. So what is the point in adding technology and possibly damaging a game which is already so popular anyway.
There's definitely the potential for it to sap the sponteneity out of the game. Imagine if Aguero's goal had not only won the league for City but also sent QPR down. If they had a review left they would certainly have used it in the hope that some sort of infringement had taken place, and English football would have lost one of its most iconic moments ever. It would happen for every last minute goal because they'd have nothing to lose. The same thing happens in cricket and it's the one aspect of DRS that I really dislike.

But the 5 seconds leading up to the goal were fine, so any 'appeal' would have been futile and it happens in tennis where players appeal for the hell of it and the end of a lost set/ match. It doesn't change anything. Celebrations will still happen and a review may happen in that time. One set of fans are experiencing jubilation, the other hope the decision is wrong.

It adds rather than takes away! I'm also unsure how 'spontaneous' the game is in it's current format! Should a player get away with a stamp/ elbow/ head butt in a part of the field where there's no action?? That's spontaneity for you...

As for you, MaineRoad, the system is designed to lessen unfair decisions!

Bigga said:
Dubai Blue said:
MaineRoadmcfc said:

But the 5 seconds leading up to the goal were fine, so any 'appeal' would have been futile and it happens in tennis where players appeal for the hell of it and the end of a lost set/ match. It doesn't change anything. Celebrations will still happen and a review may happen in that time. One set of fans are experiencing jubilation, the other hope the decision is wrong.

It adds rather than takes away! I'm also unsure how 'spontaneous' the game is in it's current format! Should a player get away with a stamp/ elbow/ head butt in a part of the field where there's no action?? That's spontaneity for you...

But celebrations wouldn't continue, because the fans and players would all stop and turn their focus to the big screen. Yes, the celebrations could resume a minute a two later but the spontaneity of the moment would be lost.

Another potential flaw in Blatter's plan is that what happens if the next time the ball goes dead is when the referee blows the full-time whistle? Does the review go ahead anyway and then the game has to restart?

Dubai Blue said:
Bigga said:
Dubai Blue said:

But celebrations wouldn't continue, because the fans and players would all stop and turn their focus to the big screen. Yes, the celebrations could resume a minute a two later but the spontaneity of the moment would be lost.

Another potential flaw in Blatter's plan is that what happens if the next time the ball goes dead is when the referee blows the full-time whistle? Does the review go ahead anyway and then the game has to restart?
Exactly my point. Happens in rugby and american football

Dubai Blue said:
Bigga said:
Dubai Blue said:

You're supposing that celebrations would suddenly stop and you could hear a pin drop whilst waiting on a review! If a player is offside when he scores, do the fans not celebrate as the ref consults the lino? Sure, so I don't see what the difference is.

Like I've said before Blatter's vision is flawed and I believe it will be altered before the trials, that would counter your' final whistle' scenario.

I'm With Stupid said:
There are so many situations where this will be difficult to do. How about the linesman wrongly calls offside when you're through on goal, the ref blows his whistle and everyone stops. The manager correctly challenges it. Now what? You can't exactly replicate a one-on-one with the keeper. And it's harsh to give a free kick or penalty when the other team has done nothing wrong.

There's no chance that technology would get rid of contentious decisions in football.

As an American who thought that replay would make worse the already seemingly endless sport of baseball, I must say it has worked remarkably well this season. With usually only a few minutes of down time per game.

It's silly to pretend football is "continuous", even though it's far more continuous than most (if not all) American sports. Injury stoppages must average four per match (maybe someone knows) and certainly there is time wasted for subs and for kick set-ups by keepers or free kicks. Bottom line is that the action stops for 15 seconds plus at least a dozen times a match I'd bet.

To me, it's bad offside calls that have the combination of the greatest impact on the game AND are the most "black and white".

Penalties and fouls are so often judgment calls, but if every offside call was subject to replay nearly all of the time replay will tell you the correct decision.

I know this seems silly, and it's off the top of my head, but what if a linesman carried two flags? He'd wave the red one on "obvious" offside calls. He'd almost always get these right. No replay. He'd wave the yellow flag on potential offside calls, on non-obvious plays that are "too close to call."

When the yellow flag is up, play continues until the team in attack loses possession or scores. When that happens, the replay is consulted and the proper call made. Managers would not be given an opportunity to challenge.

If you wanted to give a manager a challenge (and I probably wouldn't, but let's just say so for argument's sake), I'd have it restricted to goal kick vs corner kick calls, or touch line calls. One per match, and probably saved by nearly every manager until game end in a tight match when each possession matters more.

LOL!!

For anyone objecting to the idea of VR, a 'challenge' to Clattenburg's penalty dismissal would have yielded 3 potential points, snatching possible victory from the jaws of defeat/ a draw!

I am, of course, surmising Demichelis' header found it's way into the net afterwards! A potential of points lost, at the end of the season, should not be greeted with jollies of "oh well, that's football!". Those dropped 2 points may well be the difference of winning.

Wilshere, a cheat is a cheat, is a cheat!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.