TV Series

Good show but I just remember the main thing about that was sorrow and guilt whereas The English is about revenge for a violent act. And then there's the backdrop of the end of a brutal war and genocidal atrocities.

Not sure how that story is told without a bit of drama.
Drama - and indeed (for me) terrible violence - is fine - for example, Game of Thrones - just awesome and full of drama and gore. Ditto some of my other favorites - The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Just Call Saul and so on. Each of these series are full of ineresting, memorable characters - both good and bad.

What's been missing in The English - for me - is lack of a compelling, characters. It's an episode-driven plot with characters as an afterthought.

The English isn't terrible - it's just not must-see TV.
===
A bit off topic - but has everyone seen, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog? - this is must-see TV. If you haven't seen it - you really must give it a try. Totally awesome - even after all these years. I rewatch, "Horrible," every 2 years or so - simply because of the songs.

Last edited:
Echo 3 watched the full season not sure it was ok suppose but seemed a lot of fill in episodes..

When Amber Chesborough goes missing along the Colombia-Venezuela border, her brother and her husband struggle to find her against the backdrop of a secret war.

Started Orphan Black (available on Channel 4 website/Sky TV catch up thingy) the other night and will probably finish off the first season tonight. Pretty decent so far.

Don't know if you ever watched Still Game but "Tam" makes a cameo appearance, "six ex wives and 3 wains"!

Found it an odd pick as it makes it look like he aged about twice as much as the others in the group who were all roughly the same age in the 80s scenes. Almost as odd as seeing them all cutting aboot greenan shore in t-shirts and those light mod jackets.

I watched the two part BBC1 Drama “Mayflies” last night , first broadcast over Christmas and its about assisted dying.
Take my hat off to Tony Curran - excellent acting.

Finished it now, thought it was excellent. Great acting, by all involved. Rough story but told with bits of humour and poignancy. Good pace to it, keeps it interesting and unfolds well. Plus a bit of a love letter to Ayrshire, and Manchester as an idea, thought more here would enjoy it. City even get a mention, to add to the list of mentions in tv shows. Even though, we didn't actually exist back then, as we wouldn't be formed for another 30 years. Only 2 episodes, well worth a watch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.