TV Series

I find the majority of people who watched and really enjoyed The Wire seem to then get a serious bout of TV snobbery.

They cant understand why you don't agree its the best TV show ever and will then look down at you. ha.

I just thought it was ok. I can see why it gets the praise it does as its wonderfully written but for me its not one of my favourite shows by a long shot.

It’s not even the showrunners best, which is The Deuce.

Succession for me has taken the mantle as TV’s greatest ever show, passing The Shield on the way.

Sopranos is another overrated show. I absolutely, utterly love it. But the more I watch it the more I can see the inconsistencies in its narrative arcs.

It’s not even the showrunners best, which is The Deuce.

Succession for me has taken the mantle as TV’s greatest ever show, passing The Shield on the way.

Sopranos is another overrated show. I absolutely, utterly love it. But the more I watch it the more I can see the inconsistencies in its narrative arcs.

I kinda get a part of that.
I’ve rewatched the Soprano’s and engaged better and in a more informed way with certain aspects and I’ve also noted big holes in the narrative and even whole episodes where the scriptwriter must’ve been treading water.
IMO From an up front / first watch perspective it’s a great tv series but there are areas that don’t bear up to scrutiny - for all it’s many flaws, I still love it though.

I’m a re-watcher, I enjoy a rewatch. I’ve heard that even the best of us only take in about a third of any lesson (excepting school of hard knocks lessons obviously) and, supporting that, my own experience is that a re-watch after a suitable period can be a pleasurable experience as more subtle aspects are revealed at a second time of watching and, in my experience, sometimes big realisations actually.
IMO Some tv series have a couple of layers to them and some flatter to deceive by having a load of up front but very little substance underneath.

What is this substance? Well I’ve put big though into that and concluded that, while I have my own understanding (IMO the very best are layered like an onion with circumstances driven by vested interests that aren’t readily apparent etc. & et al / general sub-story stuff - sometimes the big story) it’s a value measure made by the individual - whatever stirs your porridge eh? ;-)

I find the majority of people who watched and really enjoyed The Wire seem to then get a serious bout of TV snobbery.

They cant understand why you don't agree its the best TV show ever and will then look down at you. ha.

I just thought it was ok. I can see why it gets the praise it does as its wonderfully written but for me its not one of my favourite shows by a long shot.
Yeah it's a strange phenomenon. TV snobbery Hahaha I wasn't that keen on The Wire.
Let's face it, there is no "best ever". It's whatever you enjoyed the most. Your favourite.
My favourite 3 were, BB, Ozark and Better Call Saul. GOT coming in 4th (till it got silly) And I always loved The Prisoner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.